Floor standing speakers for Yamaha A-S500

gate7nico

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Im just about to buy the yamaha a-s500, brand new for around 250€ and Im looking to pair it with a couple of floor standing speakers.

Ive seen many threads about the yamaha a-s500 and bookshelf speakers, but not much about floor standing speakers.

My budget for the speakers is 300€....

I know, its not so much, but thats all I can afford.

Ive been offered a pair of B&W dm-604 s2 for 350€ (used ones)

My room is about 25sqm and the music I mostly listen to is rock and heavy.

Waiting for some good advice.

Thanks!

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
What are you waiting..? Anyway better if you can bring your Yam for a test with those wonderful spk...

Yam could be a little bright, but the B&W have plenty of bass...

gate7nico

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! The thing is that the speakers aren't somewhere nere me (ebay)... and to be honest, I'm a little bit doubtful about buying from ebay, but still, the price is very good :/

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nico, I can and will recommend the Mordant Short Aviano 6, you can pick up a pair for £250 in the UK but I'm don't know their prices overseas.

edit to add: After a little reading on the B&W DM 604 S2 I'd like to hear them but can't comment on how they'd suit the AS500.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
gate7nico said:
Hi.

Im just about to buy the yamaha a-s500, brand new for around 250€ and Im looking to pair it with a couple of floor standing speakers.

Ive seen many threads about the yamaha a-s500 and bookshelf speakers, but not much about floor standing speakers.

My budget for the speakers is 300€....

I know, its not so much, but thats all I can afford.

Ive been offered a pair of B&W dm-604 s2 for 350€ (used ones)

My room is about 25sqm and the music I mostly listen to is rock and heavy.

Waiting for some good advice.

Thanks!

Have you looked at either the Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 / 10.4's as there are some good deals on these at the moment, they are a good speaker for the money, will sound good with your AS500, and should come in on budget?

gate7nico

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Found them in mainland spain for 420€ which is 120 above my budget but could be worth it as they seem to be good and highly rated. No one ships them to the island though, so tomorrow ill have to travel around the island to see if they can get them for me...

gate7nico

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Found them today, 445€... I might by the amp first and take it to shop and see how they do together. In the same shop I got to listen to AR status S40 run by Pioneer pd-50 and a-50. Cant remember ever listening to something this good ever!

They offered me the speakers (used) for 480€...

My wifes gonna kill me if I spend that much!

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Although the AS500 sound was not for me .... GET THE AS500 is my opinion, far better amp, look at the reviews on here of them both, no brainer and you will always want the 500 if you dont.

Craig

gate7nico

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Went to a couple of second hand shops today and found a pair of ar status s50 for 300€, they are in mint condition and come with one year warranty. I also found a pair of b&w 603 also for 300€ but one tweeter was hit. They told me though that they sound as they should and also come with a one year warranty. Any opinions?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
just a suggestion - you should consider other speakers - the B&W's 60 series are not the company's finest hour, if you know what I mean. In the flesh I always thought they looked 'thin', not in dimensions but in terms of materials used - only ever heard them the once, but the 'box' impacts on the bass to my ears. it was then I understood why they are recommended for 'lean' sounding amps

consider KEF Q4's with that amp - around the same price on ebay maybe less.... better looking too.

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I dont rate the tannoy v4 speakers at all. in my audition they were out almost instantly!

if your budget can stretch to it, the Q Acoustics 2050i are perfect for the as500 and for the muc=sic you want to listen to. the cabinets are big and the bass is fantastic. really powerful and enjoyable speakers.

gate7nico

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Found them, 600€ which is far too much for me.

I also found the jbl es80 for 300€, are they any good? I listened to them in the mall so I can't really judge.

TRENDING THREADS