first post amateur

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi everyone ive just signed up to this forum and am after stealing some of your knowledge. i love music especially live concerts, and appreciate good sound. i have recently purchased a marantz cd6002 and pm6002 amp and was thinking about upgrading the mains cables, do you think this would add any noticeable improvement to the ears of a hifi novice (sorry not my ears,the sound). also could you recommend speakers and cables for the marantz pairing

p.s. i am a sucker for reveiws in what hifi

T

the record spot

Have a good listen to the new gear first, then work out what upgrade you might need.

As to speakers, what is your budget, what kind of sound are you looking for and what size is the room?

Depending on your budget, Mordant-Short, B&W, Revolver, Quad, Wharfedale, Epos and a few others are all within your radar. The secondhand market is also worth thinking about.

PS - welcome!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Dont bother with mains cable etc yet, plough all of you budget into your speakers

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The thing about upgrading mains cables is that you only need to do it once and you'll have them for life, unless you get totally involved in it all. In a few years, your Marantz will have been replaced, but your Merlin Tarantula or whatever will be plugged into the back of your Leema or whatever

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello, and welcome to the Forums!

Great Marantz pairing you've bought there: depending on your budget, try Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 (£200) upto BB&W 685 (£380), plus speaker stands. Lots of other options, too - have fun auditioning your options!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:The thing about upgrading mains cables is that you only need to do it once and you'll have them for life, unless you get totally involved in it all. In a few years, your Marantz will have been replaced, but your Merlin Tarantula or whatever will be plugged into the back of your Leema or whatever
..and providing exactly the same electricity to your equipment...
waste of money IMO.

Get a good surge protecting mains block, keep all your kettle leads.

(this is only my opinion).

A

Anonymous

I'm being battered into submission here :). I've bought some and i'm happy with them but i will say NO mains cable is going to change the sound in a 'OH MY GOD THATS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER'. They can have a beneficial effect (noticeable even) but if i'm honest they don't justify their price tag - You'd be better off saving the money for better electronics or organic veg. IF however you've happy with your system and don't plan to upgrade for a long while then adding a mains cable may give you that bit extra satisfaction all round (the thrill of the chase of that perfect sound ). Playing around with cables is kinda fun ( come on guys admit it!) and tweaking the system, assessing the effect and sneering at your mates kettle lead is what it's all about ;-)

DOn't Flame me people

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Mordaunt short 906I, speakers, Gotham or Van Damme speaker cable. Forget new power leads, you will not hear much of a difference if any, enjoy your system as it is and buy loads of music.

T

the record spot

What with all this talk about kettle leads, for those looking to buy a new kettle, I hear John Lewis have a Clearance sale on just now.

(I should be clear, I don't work for John Lewis) (or Billy Vee).
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

JAXON5:I'm being battered into submission here :). I've bought some and i'm happy with them but i will say NO mains cable is going to change the sound in a 'OH MY GOD THATS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER'. They can have a beneficial effect (noticeable even) but if i'm honest they don't justify their price tag - You'd be better off saving the money for better electronics or organic veg. IF however you've happy with your system and don't plan to upgrade for a long while then adding a mains cable may give you that bit extra satisfaction all round (the thrill of the chase of that perfect sound ). Playing around with cables is kinda fun ( come on guys admit it!) and tweaking the system, assessing the effect and sneering at your mates kettle lead is what it's all about ;-)

DOn't Flame me people

Some of those aftermarket leads are such pretty colours but don't be fooled. They can't influence the sound in any way whatsoever.

Art.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts