First Audition

KayJay85

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey folks after alot of talk and research I finally had my first auditions yesterday. I auditioned a Rotel RA04 with B&W 686s, Dali Ikon 1 and MA BR2s. I followed that up with an audition of NAD 315BEE/Marantz PM6002 paired with B&W 685s anad Kef iQ10s.

Overall I think my favourite was the NAD and 685s but I am not entirely sure WHY and that was bothering me. I found it easy to compare the soundstage created by different pairings but other than that I could not really put my finger on what I was enjoying or disliking.

What should I try and listen to when I audition kits?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You should listen for a system you really enjoy with the music you like.

Sounds like you've found it...
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

Its about what you enjoy. If you are not sat there thinking about the hi-fi, then you've found the right kit.

The NAD stuff is very very hard to beat. Its performance is more difficult to quantify than other brands but it just seems to sound right. It has the rare knack of leaving you to focus on the music instead of thinking about how good it is at specific 'hi-fi' things. It is, above all, musical.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
KayJay85:
Hey folks after alot of talk and research I finally had my first auditions yesterday. I auditioned a Rotel RA04 with B&W 686s, Dali Ikon 1 and MA BR2s. I followed that up with an audition of NAD 315BEE/Marantz PM6002 paired with B&W 685s anad Kef iQ10s.

Overall I think my favourite was the NAD and 685s but I am not entirely sure WHY and that was bothering me. I found it easy to compare the soundstage created by different pairings but other than that I could not really put my finger on what I was enjoying or disliking.

What should I try and listen to when I audition kits?

On paper I would say that your ears liked the better balanced pairing.

T

the record spot

If it sounds best and good to your ears, your search is over. For now....bwahahahahaha!

Seriously, don't get too het up on the "what if I tried this...?" - the road to hi-fi perdition is underlaid with such sentiments! NAD make some great kit, less than flash, but this is no big deal IMO - give me sound over looks anyday.

Happy listening!

KayJay85

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the warm words of encouragement for this hifi newbie everyone!

I think I am sold on the pairing and am now going to work on haggling a few quid out of the nice folks at SuperFi. Should I aim to be getting stands from them too or are second hand ones off ebay worthwhile?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts