Firmware upgrades, do i or dont i? This is the question?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Since i purchased my pioneer lx70a bluray player last November i used to have regular freezing issues with it etc since then ive installed 3 firmware upgrades, the last one i did was back in june & since downloading that latest firmware (touch wood) ive had no problems with it at all, its been working like a dream however, theres a new firmware for my player that came out yesturday version 3.30, i currently have version 3.27 installed, now my question is do i download the latest firmware even though my player hasnt had any issues with its performance? or do i wait until my player starts freezing again etc? my policy has always been dont fix what isnt broken, i phoned pioneer & they said if your player hasnt any problems with it then leave it & only download the latest firmware if you get probs, but some people say id download it anyway as youll get some more features, pioneer says that if i download the latest firmware with my player having no issues with it that it could introduce problems that werent there before? so what does anyone else recommend to this? i thought firmware was all about updating & not introducing other problems? any views to this would be grateful?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:After the week we've just had on this website, the WHFSV staffers are probably not the best people to ask for advice on firmware/software upgrades
Oh! whys that Andrew? is there something ive missed?> ha

A

Anonymous

That's just what I would do.

The machine is unlikely to go wrong, so whilst you're waiting for it to do so firmware updates will come and go and there's the potential you'll be leaving your self open to future undetected problems and you'll miss any new features the software developers can draw form your machine.

If it all goes wrong reinstall the older firmware. I presume Pioneer will keep a couple of older versions of their firmware on their website, or just contact them.ÿ

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
jase fox:Oh! whys that Andrew? is there something ive missed?> ha

You missed it? Lucky, lucky you...

Damn!! ha sounds ominous? so your not gonna give anything away then? Is is that the WHFI TEAM dont agree with them or something? or did it turn into a big debate? ha

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
That's just what I would do.

The machine is unlikely to go wrong, so whilst you're waiting for it to do so firmware updates will come and go and there's the potential you'll be leaving your self open to future undetected problems and you'll miss any new features the software developers can draw form your machine.

If it all goes wrong reinstall the older firmware. I presume Pioneer will keep a couple of older versions of their firmware on their website, or just contact them.ÿ
Yes i hear you Octopo as thats what i feel im doing & thats just waiting for my machine to crash again, i didnt think you could over ride a firmware from the latest to the 1 before it? the latest firmware at the moment is 3.30 so if i missed that one & say another came out like 3.35 for arguements sake if i then downloaded that one then surely the version 3.30 would be included in that therefore i shouldnt be losing anything? thats the way i would of thought anyway, but maybe it doesnt, i dont know ha

A

Anonymous

No the entire code structure may have been rewritten (unlikely) but firmware updates are not just about adding new code, they also replace errors in previous releases, so when you install new firmware it overwrites the previous version completely.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
So my summary is that pioneer are making it sound like you only need firmware upgrades to rectify problems with the player i.e freezing issues etc (which i do find strange) then on the other hand i read that they are meant to give your player new features & poss make your player load faster etc ? AARGG its confusing ha

A

Anonymous

I think they are keeping you in limbo. Your system works so you will not be bothering them with any more problems.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:No the entire code structure may have been rewritten (unlikely) but firmware updates are not just about adding new code, they also replace errors in previous releases, so when you install new firmware it overwrites the previous version completely.So in that case then from what your saying new firmwares should not create any "new problems"? Sounds more like it to me!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:I think they are keeping you in limbo. Your system works so you will not be bothering them with any more problems.Ye spot on Octopo sounds more like it, there thinking his players working so tell him to leave it alone ha

A

Anonymous

Sorry I could have explained that better. They could add problematic as well as good new code, hence your problems. But like I said if I was you I would risk these as they are normally tested very well.

For instance Apple computers often release system updates, and even with Apple's reputation, they go wrong. There is a mass public outcry, Apple fix it and then return to their status as being god.

This will happen with all firmware, so it's not really wise to give up updating altogether IMO.ÿ

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
Sorry I could have explained that better. They could add problematic as well as good new code, hence your problems. But like I said if I was you I would risk these as they are normally tested very well.

For instance Apple computers often release system updates, and even with Apple's reputation, they go wrong. There is a mass public outcry, Apple fix it and then return to their status as being god.

This will happen with all firmware, so it's not really wise to give up updating altogether IMO.ÿ
Yes i see were your coming from octopo, i must admit that its hard to just completely ignore firmwares as there obviously there for a reason & to better your player as opposed to giving it faults!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Normally somewhere, they'll post what the firmware actually does e.g. new features, fixes certain issues etc. I'd seek out that info and have a look. If none of the features / fixes affect you, then I wouldn't update. Firmware is code and as well as fixing issues, it can also introduce new problems. If the machine is working fine and the firmware updates don't include anything which affect you, there's little point in tempting fate in my mind.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Normally somewhere, they'll post what the firmware actually does e.g. new features, fixes certain issues etc. I'd seek out that info and have a look. If none of the features / fixes affect you, then I wouldn't update. Firmware is code and as well as fixing issues, it can also introduce new problems. If the machine is working fine and the firmware updates don't include anything which affect you, there's little point in tempting fate in my mind.

I have had a look prof hat & it seems to sound the same as the one i already have, but i agree with what you say also, that i dont want to tempt fate, let sleeping dogs lie is what i say ha itd just be my luck id download it & something would go wrong? i think what im going to do is download it from the pioneer site & keep it for just in case i need it.

TRENDING THREADS