Finally my new system as of......now!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
image-2.jpg
Nice set up John!! How much better do the P7s sound with the Fiio?? I went for the new Sony Z2 tablet rather than the ipad Air...was thinking about some P7s too

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry think I just flagged as offensive there!! Mods ignore!! Sorry gr. typing from iPhone. Not easy.

1st impressions are really positive. The p7s are brilliantly made. Solid quality. Even the smell of the leather-sounds odd...

the fiio is a made really well also. The sq is louder and there seems to be more "air" in the music.

Standing in the store today the assistant looked at me sideways when I pulled the amp out to connect them up. So I gave him a quick demo. Listening to iPad with and with out. He was impressed. He said he had heard of the fiio but never used one. I will hold judgement how pleased I am. Initial thoughts are very good.

John

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Strangely enough I have tried a couple of times tonight to post my stuff but the posts have not worked at all!

see if this one does...I realise it's not in my posts but doesn't seem to work when I try that!
DSC00271_zps433e58df.jpg

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Never come across that centre before?

Nice....

what's the box bottom left?

Mains conditioning??

1st impressions of the p7/ fiio are promising. Listening to elbows newest album right now. A lot better than the beats, very comfortable too.

There is no interference when the outside of the phones rub against a cushion. Noise isolation I suppose is better than the rattle'ey beats by dre.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
There was a time about 4 years ago when quite a few of the members on the forum bought the Belkin PureAv conditioners - they were going for around £20-30 on a few sites which was about a tenth of the rrp. You can still see them listed here and there on different websites for around £300 - I wouldn't have paid anything like that for one.

It has 1 high current + 2 video and 2 audio inputs - receiver goes in to the high current, tv and bd player in to video and sky box + Crystal Acoustics Blu Dac in to audio input - have never had them plugged in to anything else so I can't comment on the merits of the Belkin. Kinda handy to be able to switch everything on/off with just one unit.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Have seen them before. Just wondered if they made a difference.

Was as reading hi fi choice for the first time last night. Had a group test of mains blocks. Made for interesting and expensive reading... Not that i am going down the mains route anyway.
John

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Gel. Must say I am delighted with them. A huge improvement over the beats! No batteries either. You should give them a try. The fiio amp is a great piece of kit too. Love that track that's playing in the photo as well!

was asking the assistant in the store I got them (Robert Ritchie- Montrose ) about TV calibration. They do not have ANY of their displays calibrated and would not recommend because "you are watching someone else's picture prefences". This ranged from 4k to full hd on display. I was quite amazed by his comment. They used the factory settings on all the displays.

Have you altered any of your settings yet post calibration? How close were your own personal settings before calibration? Did you ever copy settings from a forum listing your model?

john

D

Deleted member 2457

john1000000boy said:
Cheers Gel. Must say I am delighted with them. A huge improvement over the beats! No batteries either. You should give them a try. The fiio amp is a great piece of kit too. Love that track that's playing in the photo as well!

was asking the assistant in the store I got them (Robert Ritchie- Montrose ) about TV calibration. They do not have ANY of their displays calibrated and would not recommend because "you are watching someone else's picture prefences". This ranged from 4k to full hd on display. I was quite amazed by his comment. They used the factory settings on all the displays.

Have you altered any of your settings yet post calibration? How close were your own personal settings before calibration? Did you ever copy settings from a forum listing your model?

john

Hi

I haven't altered any settings post calibration, they are all locked in too, but I wouldn't want to change them they are great! I only had it on normal settings before calibration and there is quite a big difference now, both for night and day settings. Nope, I never copy settings.

I am thinking about getting the B&W P5's headphones.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Cheers gel.

P5s get mixed reviews when I was looking into p7.

Someone put a post on a thread saying that reconditioned p7s were available for £250 from unilet. Whether that is of interest or not.

I am delighted with mine.

Must have spent 3hrs the other night with p7s/fiio/iPad making up playlists on spotify. Just listening to tracks from the past. Both material I knew and didn't know.

This has got me listening to music again as there was a while I was pretty fed up with the music I had.

Even worked my way through rolling stone magazine 500 most important albums..

Have really got into live and acoustic material too. There is a tonne of it on spotify. Really got me using spotify as well. Before I would hear a track I liked then go to spotify and put it in my favourites playlist.

Got me wondering if I will buy CDs again though. Which is something which I always enjoyed in the past. Having the cd and a copy on iTunes.

Haven't played music in the sitting room in a long time with work and kids commitments. Which is great, I guess that is why I treated myself to what I consider a high quality headphone settup.

John

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Kit list today:

Sitting Room

Panasonic Tx p65st 50b

Pioneer SC-LX82

Pioneer BDP-LX52

Monitor Audio RX6 av12

Apple TV 2 & 3

Sky HD