Finally my new system as of......now!!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Yep view above thread^ May have it sorted wait till tonight!! Andrew is the Man!!!

Started for me as a student in Edinburgh when friends started buying proper hifi seperates. Used to go round to their flat and mix a pair of cd players with a synergy mixer and make compilation tapes... The Speakers were monster Wharfedale Valdus 500s with a couple of Tannoys at the back(it was a stereo amp) The sound was brilliant!!

This made me catch the bug so...

Went to Richer Sounds and bought a Sherwood R125RDS Pro Logic amp. A Wharfedale force 3??? A very odd looking centre speaker in 3 "modules".

To an independent shop and bought a pair of Mission 752s 2nd hand- Amazing!!

Then my other friend was giving Richer Sounds some business and i managed to get the Technics slpg 580a for £30 new!!

My flatmate then went and bought a set of Kef Coda 9s which went to the rear.

The flat had a sony 4:3 wood effect tv in it. Hooked that up to the amp.....N64(Goldeneye!!)

My flatmate walked past a 2nd hand shop and picked up a Bang & Olufsson VCR deck for £40

This was the home cinema!!

Moved out the flat and back to parents house where my bro and i had an upstairs sitting room.....

Bought an Aiwa active sub from a friend and a pair of Eltax ht2 Bipolars and HT Centre from RS.

Then bought a Nicam VCR Aiwa hxv 4500. My own complete Home Cinema!!

Took the step into dvd with a Sony dvp 3600. The biggest step ever!!

Then bought a Sony str db 1080 from hifi shop in Dundee. 5.1 was incredible!!

The sony broke down so used a ps2 for dvd for a while until i was given the Denon dvd 1920 as a present from my girlfriend. (now wife)

Moved out of the house with my brother and i moved in with my now wife...

She bought me my much beloved Pioneer Plasma...

HD succesfull!!

All the above kit was being used until the Sunday of the Open last year....

Then went and picked up my MA Rx av12 and Pio amp from James Morrow in Edinburgh.

Have bought the Pio br player from ebay.

Still have all the above kit and other eqpt also. Its in its boxes in the loft... Need to have a sale i think....

So that is my AV habit from roughly '98 to now.

Love every bit of it!!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
S1080017.jpg
" onmouseover="undefined" onmouseout="undefined">

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Messiah. It has taken a bit of doing but nearly there. Still a number of things i want to do to get it set just right

-Bi amp Rx6s to LX82

-Hook up the plasma direct to the sky so i can just watch tv with no amp

-Get a blu ray player

-Look into a dac for my mac (Needed or not??)

-Most importantly post a proper system thread so i can get peoples opinions and ideas!!

A

Anonymous

Nice one John, very stylish, slick looking system. No doubt it sounds as good as it looks too, well done and congrats !!
emotion-21.gif

rigors

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
the only thing i'd consider doing would be to move that sub to the left of the floorstander and get a long short white lacquered unit to replace the black one. something to contrast the black so it pops out more. so a unit something like this one:

http://www.boconcept.co.uk/Media_units.aspx?ID=83678&imageid=1032

oh, and maybe a new lick of paint on the walls...

regardless what you do though that is a really nice setup you have there. congrats! :)

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Looks great!

But I would put the laptop on the other side of the center speaker. That sub has a pretty big magnetic field and could destroy the laptop's harddrive (unless the sub is magnetically shielded)

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks lads not sure if the sub is magnetically shielded...... The sub would certainly look better away from the rx s but space is at a premium on that wall (doors on both sides of the rx s) The cabinet looks excellent but would be too wide for the space. To get the fronts and sub in would mean the speakers would be jammed right in the corner. The house is a country cottage and to keep the theme of the building- oaks and black(fireplace is black with black woodburning stove)

The room is brand new and has just been painted

Keep them coming lads, Anything else??

A

Anonymous

Very nice John1000000boy, love the all black theme p.s. not too dissimilar of a layout to my own, the only thing i would suggest is the bluray player....then sit back & feel all cheesy with your new toy's & ENJOY all the best, Benny.

A

Anonymous

john1000000boy:Thanks Benny. It does bring a wee smile to my face when i sit down in front of it! I know must get a blu ray was bidding yesterday but lost out by a fiver!! Any recommendations??

it all depend's on your budget i suppose, the Sony bdp-s370 has good review's & quite reasonable?

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
My Blu Ray Player has arrived went for a Pioneer bdp lx52. Got it from a well known auction site for sub £200!! Compliments the amp and rack very nicely and most of all sounds amazing!! Will try and post a few pics if i can!!

The player performs really well with audio over hdmi although havent got the pqls going yet and it does mess up my inputs with the Kuro link set to on!! Any ways around this have set both the amp and player to Auto and the player to output pcm??

Going to work back through all my old dvds over the coming days and see if i can tell the difference between my old Denon dvd1920 upscaling and the Pio!!

Load up times are not the fastest for audio/blu ray. Rome wasnt built in a day though and the wait is well worth it!! Just make sure you dont put the wrong disc in ie bonus disc

All in i am very pleased with my new player so far. Was really concerned that it wouldnt do cd justice but it really is a fine player (blows the old Technics clean out the water!) Just need to get some tweaking time in to iron out the minor probs!!

A

Anonymous

John,

Wow! I am officially jealous! Absolutely love the aesthetics of your system, especially your MA set-up.

Enjoy!!!!

Nick

A

Anonymous

john1000000boy:
S1080017.jpg
" width=400 height=1 mce_src="
S1080017.jpg
">

John,

Now my colour has returned from a vivid shade of green, can I ask what is your viewing/listening distance? I would have thought a little 'toe-in' on your fronts would improve your soundstage. How have you found it?

Cheers,

Nick

A

Anonymous

congrat's on you Pioneer blu-ray player, hope you are enjoying it, the load time's on my Pioneer player is quite long but when it's playing a fine transfer & it look's so good all is forgiven over slow load time's

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hey Nick thanks for the compliments!! Hope your colour has come back!! Yep had a play about with toeing in my speakers. Sit about 4+metres from the tv(quite like a projector!!) On getting my new blu ray player set up i got some cds out and tried the speakers in various positions. I found that i got the best results when the tweeters were crossing over just in front of my sofa. The Staging was excellent and really helped with focus. Really enjoyed listening in Neo 6 thx. Not strictly hifi but the room was completely filled with music!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts