Finally!, bought a used TT Rotel RP3000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
i understand the feeling about keeping it original, but it's not a "mint in the box" piece. it is showing its age. the cover is scratched and a bit of a mess. the surface of the plinth has a few dings on it, I would keep it original if it had been mint.

bigfish786 said:
image-3.jpg

Looks the dogs...

feckinrecords

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello Bigfish786,

I recently also purchased a RP3000 turntable and i am having troubles getting the tone arm pressure set correctly. Just when i think i have it set, a song will sound like some one turned the speed down and the pitch is off. Do you have any suggestions, how did you go about seeting the tone arm weight correctly for yours. My Brother left me 10,000 records when he passed in 2013 and i am trying to enjoy them.

Thanks,

Pete

feckinrecords said:
Hello Bigfish786,

I recently also purchased a RP3000 turntable and i am having troubles getting the tone arm pressure set correctly. Just when i think i have it set, a song will sound like some one turned the speed down and the pitch is off. Do you have any suggestions, how did you go about seeting the tone arm weight correctly for yours. My Brother left me 10,000 records when he passed in 2013 and i am trying to enjoy them.

Thanks,

Pete

This is an old thread. What tonearm do you have fitted? The most accurate way to check downforce on any arm is to purchase a digital stylus scale of some type.

feckinrecords

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I do have a manual, i started using it as it was when i purchased it and it was not functioning correctly. I will look into a digital stylus scale.

Thanks,

Pete

feckinrecords said:
I have the original tone arm i believe.

That will be the s-shaped one that looks like an Acos Lustre then. Does it have any markings on it to identify it? How did you set the tracking force initially? Do you have a manual for this turntable. Does it have the original cartridge on it? What is that cartridge called, as it may be shot.

As previously stated get yourself a set of digital stylus scales is the best way.

feckinrecords said:
I do have a manual, i started using it as it was when i purchased it and it was not functioning correctly. I will look into a digital stylus scale.

Thanks,

Pete

Did you get it from a shop or buy privately? Does the manual tell you how to adjust the tonearm or is it purely for the deck itself as many of these models have had different tonearms fitted over their lifespan.

If you don't know the cartridges history I would strongly urge you to buy a new one to save possible damage to your records.

feckinrecords said:
Hello Bigfish786,

Thanks,

Pete

hi there.

when I had this turntable I just guessed the settings for the tonearm by slowly setting the weight till the arm balanced without skipping. Then just added a little more weight,

What sounds like you are experiencing is speed instability from the direct drive.

Maybe it needs a service or a clean or something.

I put a nagaoka cart on mine and sounded fantastic.

Hope you get it sorted. I was very impressed by its performance

bigfish786 said:
feckinrecords said:
Hello Bigfish786,

Thanks,

Pete

hi there.

when I had this turntable I just guessed the settings for the tonearm by slowly setting the weight till the arm balanced without skipping. Then just added a little more weight,

What sounds like you are experiencing is speed instability from the direct drive.

Maybe it needs a service or a clean or something.

I put a nagaoka cart on mine and sounded fantastic.

Hope you get it sorted. I was very impressed by its performance

Thanks for coming in bigfish. It was becoming a tad confusing about what it could be as the OP is replying very infrequently and with not much information. There is a manual available if this turntable is fitted with, what I believe to be, the original tonearm. This is always assuming it did indeed come fitted with one in the first place. Pictures show it fitted with a number of arms and it is difficult to see if any of them were original.

Until we know exactly what arm it is them it is difficult to advise how to adjust it.

This is why I suggested just getting a digital stylus scale, this way it doesn't really matter whichever it is. If it is, however, a motor issue then that's a completely different kettle of fish. Consider the turntable knackered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts