Filtering out the low quality files from my iTunes?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I've just ordered MacBook Pro and am getting quite excited about hooking it up to my hi fi.

I have about 15 GB of music files on my iMac which I'll want to copy over. However, many of these were downloaded in the pre iTunes (ahem) days of LimeWire etc and maybe very low quality.

Does anyone know on a Mac how I can identify only lossless files so I can bin the rest?

thanks

idc

In itunes you will have columns showing name, time, artist, genre etc. There is one showing bit rate. If it is not there then on the tool bar go to view and the options in the drop down and then tick bit rate in the box of options that appears. Then to order the bit rate click on the box at the top of the column and you will get the music arranged in order of bit rate, either lowest or highest first, you can switch. Lossless bottoms out at about 300kbps, but you will see where the fixed bit rates or 320kbps or lower start.

It is an interesting exercise to find out which track has the highest and lowest bit rate. Mine is 'Good Boys' by Blondie of the Live By request album at 1156kbps and a Beethoven Sonata at 317kbps.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
you can firther narrow it down, if requried, by using the search filed of itumnes (follwoed by sorting as advised above). e.g. put 'lossless' in the search field and then sort by bit rate (you then see all lossless in ascending or descending bit rate order), or 'mpeg' or something for your lossy format in search and sort by bit rate (you then see all tracks of that format in descending/ascending bit rate order).

sorted

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks!

If I'm going to hook it up to my Naim I don't want any low quality stuff in there - no matter how much I like humourous songs by the Blood Hound Gang...

I think I may well have to re import a load of CDs too from the days when I only had a small capacity iPod.

idc

roger06:
Thank you!

Not only useful but interesting too...

If you import a CD as Apple Lossless - what determines the bit rate?

I don't know, but think it is down to how much information there is. So simple one instrument music will have a lower bit rate than a wall of noise recorded multi-instrumental band.

I presume you want to delete the low bit rate music, so if do the column and the highlight the low bit rate stuff and then right click and delete. It all goes to your recycle bin.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Ah OK - like the number of colours in a digital image determines the file size I guess...

I'm sure one of the WHF Professors will be along shortly to give us the definitive answer!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
it is qute simple, actually. As it is a lossless compression it is basically compressing the data. data is a digital description of selected samples of analog signal, i.e. a lot of sets of figures. the more these sets are similar to each other (the more correlation they have), the more you can compress the data witout loosing anything.

for example, if you have 10 samples and only the 10th is actually different and all the 9 are all the same, and the difference from the nine sets to the tenth set is only one single bit, all you need to know about the lot is one of the nine and which bit to change in the tenth. and that is what you record or transmit. then, to playback, you uncompress, i.e. write down all your 10 samples fully (you know all you need about them) and then you can do digital to analog conversion. you have not lost anything on the way! you just did not bother to trasmit excessive info and you fully restored the original at the other end.

now, the more complex the music is the less likely the neighbouring samples will be same, they will be less and less similar to each other so you need more and more info to fully desribe them 'in short-hand' for storage and transmission (although hopefully still less than full write-down). there is normally at least some redundancy in most streams of data.

another, related, parameter that has contribution here is the spectral composition of the signal. a single sine wave needs very littel to describe it digitally. but it has no sound charater. caracter comes with coloration, which is basically harmonics and other frequencies mixed. this means more complex signal shape and more difference between samples and less predicatbility of them, less correlation between them.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I am suitably enlightened!
emotion-2.gif

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Wow - had a look over the weekend. A bewildering spectrum of bit rates and file types.

Many of the CDs I've ripped are in Apple Lossless - others are not. I assume I should re-import these for best quality ?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, if storage space is not an issue (and as long as your current/future gear can play it) I would strognly recommend to re-import in a lossless format like Apple Lossless.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Note also that a MP3 128k file can be converterd to a FLAC or other lossless format but is still only just a low quality MP3 file , this obviously applies to music that you personally have not transferred from CD and have obtained from other sources...

Edit. There is not a easy/reliable way to identify if a lossless file really is a lossless file...

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
In itunes show the column "kind" which tells you wahat sort of file it is encoded as e.g. apple lossless, AAC, mp3, purchased/protected etc. Don't lnow if it will determine if a lossy file has been re-encoded as a lossless one though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts