films that make you cry

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
artice on the beeb website on this and made me think... when marley dies in marley and me, got me going mainly because it reminded me of when our family dog died years ago... anyone else going to admit blubbing to a film?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Leaving Las Vegas was the worst for me. I couldn't leave the cinema for tears but most of the audience were the same. The credits had finished and the lights were up but still loads of people stayed trying to get themselves together.

A

Anonymous

when rutger hauer dies in blade runner! but don't tell anyone
emotion-9.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I get teary so often watching movies that I have a three-point scale to measure just how emotional it is (hell, I am a GIRL
emotion-4.gif
)

1) Tears-in-eyes - almost any movie with a vaguely moving moment. Even an advert.
emotion-10.gif

2) Several quiet tears down cheek - prolonged emotional moment in movie/TV show. Usually accompanied by annoyance at director's ability to manipulate me.

3) Heaving sobs - many tears; shoulder movements.

I was between 2 and 3 watching Toy Story 3 (thank goodness for 3D glasses). Watching The Lovely Bones this weekend was a 2. Avatar, conversely, was a 0 - left me stone cold: not even a sneaky 1.

But the all-time sobathon for me is It's a Wonderful Life - a definite 3 from Zuzu's petals on. Every year I watch it I start getting teary earlier and earlier.

Cathartic stuff!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I get teary so often watching movies that I have a three-point scale to measure just how emotional it is (hell, I am a GIRL
emotion-4.gif
)

1) Tears-in-eyes - almost any movie with a vaguely moving moment. Even an advert.
emotion-10.gif

2) Several quiet tears down cheek - prolonged emotional moment in movie/TV show. Usually accompanied by annoyance at director's ability to manipulate me.

3) Heaving sobs - many tears; shoulder movements.

I was between 2 and 3 watching Toy Story 3 (thank goodness for 3D glasses). Watching The Lovely Bones this weekend was a 2. Avatar, conversely, was a 0 - left me stone cold: not even a sneaky 1.

But the all-time sobathon for me is It's a Wonderful Life - a definite 3 from Zuzu's petals on. Every year I watch it I start getting teary earlier and earlier.

Cathartic stuff!

Eloquently put, Clare - I'm happy to admit that, even as a GUY (hope my wife doesn't read this thread) I succumb in a similar way to any gratuitous emotion-tugging.
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

The one that springs to mind and gets me every time is the hospital/deathbed scene in Terms of Endearment...I know it's a very girly movie but I watch it mainly for Jack Nicholson's scene stealing performances...honest !!!

As for more recent ones, the only one I can think of is Leaving Las Vegas, as a previous poster said, it's a very emotional film for me personally, as a recovering alcoholic, it fairly hits a nerve alright and is very well made and researched with a spine chilling performance from Nicholas Cage...and I don't get to say that very often !!

A

Anonymous

project x . first time i seen it i was about 17 , a few friends and i watched it on video , such a sad film , the chimps are used for nasty experiments , i was in pieces
emotion-9.gif
, i dont think i could even watch it again ..

actually now im looking at my two dogs and thinking how can people be cruel to animals ? im going to the butchers for e10 of roundsteak to make a big irish stew for them
emotion-2.gif

scene

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:how can people be cruel to animals ? im going to the butchers for e10 of roundsteak

emotion-18.gif

Don't worry Mr E. I'm sure it will be Kobe steak, where the cattle are fed beer and massaged regularly...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:how can people be cruel to animals ? im going to the butchers for e10 of roundsteak

emotion-18.gif

could that be called a paradox of convenience
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

scene:Andrew Everard:

emotion-18.gif

Don't worry Mr E. I'm sure it will be Kobe steak, where the cattle are fed beer and massaged regularly...
emotion-5.gif

if i was slaughtered and hung for 28 days , you could call me kobe steak
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Titanic - abit sad i know
emotion-1.gif

Probaly a cruiser thing.
emotion-21.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
All Quiet on the Western Front

Un Long Dimanche de Fian‡ailles

Schindler's List

Out of Africa
- Denys's funeral
emotion-10.gif

Born Free

It's a Wonderful Life

TEARS OF LAUGHTER:

Les Vacances de M. Hulot

A Shot in the Dark

Bringing Up Baby

There's Something About Mary

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene:Don't worry Mr E. I'm sure it will be Kobe steak,
where the cattle are fed beer and massaged regularly...
emotion-5.gif

Not if he's going to get enough to make a stew for ?10, it won't be...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:if i was slaughtered and hung for 28 days , you could call me kobe steak
emotion-4.gif

Response a) Be careful what you wish for.

Response b) Given the number of times you've posted while clearly slaughtered...

D

Deleted member 2457

tvspecv:

"seven"

"last of the mohicans"

"terminator 2" end scene

mostly the endings

That's a good one - Terminator 2 end scene
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts