Film for Christmas Day

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Cofnchtr:barnsleydave:It actually blocks most of the light from coming through the window. But hey you can't have everything can you.

Hi,

Wonder if I try this 'multipurpose' angle on the OH I'll be able to get a bigger screen!?!?!?
emotion-1.gif

What about Wall:E? Newish film, no violence and an environmental message to boot...what's the violence limit? Star Trek has some violence but the top level needs to be defined.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Seen Wall-E. I am probably in a minority but I thought it was technically excellent but rubbish as a film. I am sure we could tolerate some minor violence and swearing. I don't think she would appreciate any of the SAW movies/Hostel, that kind of stuff (which my Mrs loves incidentally)

A

Anonymous

Master & Commander excellent movie especially with your system
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

FWIW my mother-in-law (very Texan white Southern Baptist) is a cross between Hyacinth (sp) Bucket and Magda Goebbels, still thinks the abolition of slavery was a bad idea, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, probably only had sex twice (2 daughters), etc. etc. and she can't stand me (phew!!).

IF she came round to my place for Chrimbo I'd probably stick on "Trainspotting" or a blacksploitation classic and make a run for the pub....

Assuming you actually want (or are under orders) to let the inlaws come by, I would think any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies would be good. At least you can suspend reality for a while and immerse yourself in the best movies Disney has made in decades.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for some fantastic suggestions guys. At least one of use will have seen most of the older films before. Hence why I would like to try and keep the film recent. So although wizard of oz and north by northwest are great films I did want something more up to date. Also not so keen on the kiddy type films (pixar, etc). Having said that if we hadn't already seen polar express that could well be up there. Taken new Transformers film off list as apparently not rated (and a kid film anyway). Valkyrie would have been a great choice. Good shout. But we've all seen it. Ditto master & commander. Public enemies I haven't heard of. I'll look into that one.

I still have Star Trek in the back of my mind. But the Half Blood Prince is a great suggestion. I know its a bit of a kid film but my father in law is a massive harry potter (and lord of the rings) fan. That could be the one.

Keep the suggestions coming though.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Darren Heal:

FWIW my mother-in-law (very Texan white Southern Baptist) is a cross between Hyacinth (sp) Bucket and Magda Goebbels, still thinks the abolition of slavery was a bad idea, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, probably only had sex twice (2 daughters), etc. etc. and she can't stand me (phew!!).

IF she came round to my place for Chrimbo I'd probably stick on "Trainspotting" or a blacksploitation classic and make a run for the pub....

Assuming you actually want (or are under orders) to let the inlaws come by, I would think any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies would be good. At least you can suspend reality for a while and immerse yourself in the best movies Disney has made in decades.

Pirates of the Caribbean for the mother in law? My mother in law :"what's this terrible wierd film. Nobody's watching this are they? It will frighten the children. Have you got any nice films? The queens on now. etc etc etc"

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
barnsleydave:

Thanks for some fantastic suggestions guys. At least one of use will have seen most of the older films before. Hence why I would like to try and keep the film recent. So although wizard of oz and north by northwest are great films I did want something more up to date. Also not so keen on the kiddy type films (pixar, etc). Having said that if we hadn't already seen polar express that could well be up there. Taken new Transformers film off list as apparently not rated (and a kid film anyway). Valkyrie would have been a great choice. Good shout. But we've all seen it. Ditto master & commander. Public enemies I haven't heard of. I'll look into that one.

I still have Star Trek in the back of my mind. But the Half Blood Prince is a great suggestion. I know its a bit of a kid film but my father in law is a massive harry potter (and lord of the rings) fan. That could be the one.

Pixar kiddy type films? Toy Story 1 and 2 are widely regarded by film critics (and me) as some of the finest films of their era. If you have not seen these masterpieces, do yourself a favour and buy them now.

A

Anonymous

Seen Stardust, and wallace & grommit and Toy story (1 & 2). That's why I'm trying to concentrate on new films.

Gladiator (which i have recently bought on blu-ray) would have been a great choice but guess what - seen it.

God I'm an awkward b****r aren't I?

No one has suggested les***n vampire killers yet?
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

You will have no doubt seen it but Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas is fabulous.
Failing that, how about a sentimental Miracle on 34th Street?
BTW - The vampire movie is only for people you hate(IMO it's cack) - probably not your Christmas lunch guests...............

A

Anonymous

Come on, who system is it? yours of your mums, she should be happy that she has been invited around
emotion-2.gif

Just seen in the shops that "Snow white" is out on Blu ray, that should keep everybody happy, perhaps your mum could sing along with the 7 dwarfs
emotion-3.gif

But, then again you could opt for "Changeling" its a true story, directed by a top actor, good old Clint and the F word is only used twice.

Failing everything else you could just put the tele on watch the queens boring message and then Eastenders
emotion-9.gif

By the way, nice setup, pity that behind your tele is a window, I would put up a darkout blind to stop any light filtering thru.

So, here is my 2 pennies worth, have fun at chrimbo.........................................................................NOT
emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

LOL. They are very happy they have been invited round. Well after the dogs stop mawling them.

Errrrr...ref Changeling. Guess What? Yep seen it. But you are right its a cracking film. Only one rule on xmas day. The Queen is NOT going on. Rather watch Parliment TV!

Yes it is a pity my tv is a window (as it makes a better door). I do have a blind up but its a white one. The TV does obscure about 80% of the light coming through that window. We have talked about moving the room around so the TV is at the patio door side. Maybe next year, maybe.

A

Anonymous

hammill:

Pirates of the Caribbean for the mother in law? My mother in law :"what's this terrible wierd film. Nobody's watching this are they? It will frighten the children. Have you got any nice films? The queens on now. etc etc etc"

Like someone said about my M-I-L "she ain't been the same since that house landed on top of her" (Wizard of Oz reference).

And about the moaning, like the man at the shop said "they all do that".

Just seen "Public Enemies" on DVD and it's pretty good, but "Road to Perdition" (Tom Hanks) is a far better 30s-set gangster movie IMHO, and it's the last movie Paul Newman ever made.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
gel:
Just seen the picture of your system Barnsleydave, it's very nice, I can't believe you have your plasma on a stand.

When I read your system I thought your plasma would be on the wall.

What is your stand called?

Mand (short for Mandie) as in Mand the Stand. What's yours called? Mine's called 'Oooof', as in 'this TV is bloomin heavy'.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:I'm personally looking forward to The Half Blood Prince
emotion-1.gif

If you have not already seen it at the flicks, try to curb your enthusiasm to see it, you may be a tad disappointed in comparison to the others and indeed in comparison to the book.

John_S

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Old Boy.

No, not really. How about Star Wars: The Clone Wars? It takes the bad taste of the prequels out of your mouth as an adult, and it's great for kids (not that there'll be any there).

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
hammill:barnsleydave:

Pixar kiddy type films? Toy Story 1 and 2 are widely regarded by film critics (and me) as some of the finest films of their era. If you have not seen these masterpieces, do yourself a favour and buy them now.

Yep, brilliant films.

A

Anonymous

gwynne61:Big Aura:
surely there's only one proper Christmas fillum?!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Most definetly
emotion-21.gif
emotion-11.gif
Lost count of the times I've seen this wonderfull film (Mke sure the Tissue box is full though
emotion-9.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS