Filling the void ?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Having owned my Yamaha amp and sacd player for just over twelve years. (working fine)

I'm wondering if it's time to review new products to see if there would be notable improvement in sound quality.
Yes I know demo's will be required

In other words is it a long enough time gap to warrant a fresh investment ?

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Given the propensity of manufacturers for cutting costs, I'd say no...

I had an Audiolab 8000A integrated amp that lasted for more than 20 years. It was very good before it died. I replaced it with a Cyrus One amp about 3 years ago and already the volume control is very flaky and even the power switch fails to switch on occasionally.

If you're still satisfied with sound, why change? (Although upgrading your speakers might give you you a more significant sound quality boost...)

Reactions: DougK1

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Given the propensity of manufacturers for cutting costs, I'd say no...

I had an Audiolab 8000A integrated amp that lasted for more than 20 years. It was very good before it died. I replaced it with a Cyrus One amp about 3 years ago and already the volume control is very flaky and even the power switch fails to switch on occasionally.

If you're still satisfied with sound, why change? (Although upgrading your speakers might give you you a more significant sound quality boost...)
Hi, Cyrus is normaly famous for their reliability and high level of engineering. In case of amp One (last gen) they have learned a hard lesson going a class or two down. They tried to enter high populated 1000 eur integrated, which ment several quality and cost cuts. And this is result. I used old Cyrus One which was made to last and last. Like your Audiolab 8000A. My Cyrus One was replaced with Rega Brio, last version. Brio is very good, also reliable and good sounding, just without any digital. But this is OK for me. BR.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi, Cyrus is normaly famous for their reliability and high level of engineering. In case of amp One (last gen) they have learned a hard lesson going a class or two down. They tried to enter high populated 1000 eur integrated, which ment several quality and cost cuts. And this is result. I used old Cyrus One which was made to last and last. Like your Audiolab 8000A. My Cyrus One was replaced with Rega Brio, last version. Brio is very good, also reliable and good sounding, just without any digital. But this is OK for me. BR.
Oh the Cyrus One still sounds brilliantly and the flaky volume control I handle with a Logitech programmable remote (the Cyrus remote is truly woeful; and their mobile app control is far worse) so I can still live with the beast. But(!) it shouldn't be necessary to have to go to such lengths... I'm not looking to replace it this stage though... I have been thingking of getting a Schidt semi valve pre-amp and coupling that to my old Audiolab power amp...

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
NIce idea with valve or semivalve preamp. I was a valve freak for some 15 years. It was a nice time. I was a bit shocked when my czech made valve preamp Brassany br06 was connected to power stage of Rega Mira 2000. What a change! Truly a great amp. It sounded a lot better than Mira alone. May be, you could try to repair and upgrade your trusty Audiolab 8000A and keep it. I have here in Slovakia two friends making such repairs and also upgrades (small ones, big ones depending on budget) of good old hifi, amps, CD players etc. Was a shame to sell my old Cyrus One, I think I will keep it today, at least for son who is building his first hifi😆.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts