Filling a room with sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
tonky said:
I am iterested in the Neat Iotas - what do you have driving them (amp etc) ?
If you're interested in small speakers, you could also look at the Amphion Argon 0 and the Ophidian Minimo. I've been using them in a 350 sq ft room, and they still sound great. Even though small speakers are generally recommended for smaller rooms, it's surprising how good they can still sound in larger rooms. Sure, they're going to lack some bass extension and presence compared to floorstanders, but the upside of that is there's less bass overshadowing detail in the midrange section. Because of this they can sound far more involving than a similarly priced floorstander (or even more expensive ones).

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
I have a pair of Neat Iota's, some of the smallest on the market and they fill my high celing Vistorian 13 x 13 lounge with sound in a manner no other speakers have ever done. Small is beatiful!

Hi there Nick.

I am iterested in the Neat Iotas - what do you have driving them (amp etc) ?

Have you compared them to the Neat Iota alphas - and if so what did you think?

cheers tonky

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
Gazzip, check out the Stereophile measurements for the PMC IB-1S. PMC specified a frequency range of 25hz to 25 khz for these speakers with 10" bass drivers. Stereophile measured them as -25 dbs at 25 hz!

A frequency response of -0 to -3 dbs at 20 hz would put them in the same category as the best floorstanders I've auditioned extensively.

The faux transmission lines in PMC's are a great big bloomy compromise when it comes to bass quality.

The major reason for PMC being used in plenty of studios will be down to good marketing by PMC, backed up by them not being too tragically bad when it comes to sound quality.

Firstly I intentionally did not mention that (discontinued) model because they are NOT a full blown studio monitor. IB2 and upwards are. Secondly if they were measured -25db at 25Hz then I would question the test conditions or whether the PMC's were actually functioning, as would any studio that bought them within 5 minutes of being in the mix.

EDIT: I have measured my MB2SE's at +2db at 20Hz, albeit in a domestic listening room, as posted in the room treatment thread...

I agree that those IB1's must have been broken !

My PB1i's are very strong down to 24hz ( in room ), you can feel and hear the bass at 24hz even at low volumes using a frequency sweep to test them, but there is nothing audible below 24hz though.

It gave me a very pleasant surprise when I tested them.

gasolin

Electro said:
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
Gazzip, check out the Stereophile measurements for the PMC IB-1S. PMC specified a frequency range of 25hz to 25 khz for these speakers with 10" bass drivers. Stereophile measured them as -25 dbs at 25 hz!

A frequency response of -0 to -3 dbs at 20 hz would put them in the same category as the best floorstanders I've auditioned extensively.

The faux transmission lines in PMC's are a great big bloomy compromise when it comes to bass quality.

The major reason for PMC being used in plenty of studios will be down to good marketing by PMC, backed up by them not being too tragically bad when it comes to sound quality.

Firstly I intentionally did not mention that (discontinued) model because they are NOT a full blown studio monitor. IB2 and upwards are. Secondly if they were measured -25db at 25Hz then I would question the test conditions or whether the PMC's were actually functioning, as would any studio that bought them within 5 minutes of being in the mix.

EDIT: I have measured my MB2SE's at +2db at 20Hz, albeit in a domestic listening room, as posted in the room treatment thread...

My PB1i's are very strong down to 24hz ( in room ), you can feel and hear the bass at 24hz even at low volumes using a frequency sweep to test them, but there is nothing audible below 24hz though.

what music do you play with frequencys down to 24 hz and with enough level so it's possible to hear it ?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
gasolin said:
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:

what music do you play with frequencys down to 24 hz and with enough level so it's possible to hear it ?

Some electronic music goes down into the twenties and you can certainly hear and feel it !

For the purposes of seeing how low my speakers went I used this frequency sweep generator .

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

This chart is a good indicator of instrument frequency range .

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

And this one .

http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/eq-frequency-chart-for-electronic-music#prettyPhoto/0/

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
your PMCs are £14.000 brand new and plus that fact they are large speakers for stand mounts and with the stands you might as well be floor standing speakers the size of them .

my humble floorstanding speakers cost me £2000 new they are big but not as big as yours so i was kind of getting at stand mounts that cost anything from £300- £2000 as a guide  .

I just want to make you aware of a possible gem on ebay

A pair of very good condition pmc clone floor standers for only £2500 or best offer. He lives near cheltenham way so if you can go audition.

I was interested but now its totally out of the window due to no fault of the speakers.

The pmc equivilent is over £18000 abd this one has the exact 15 inch volt bass driver and 200l volume.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
gasolin said:
That question is best answered by you comparing speakers that are pretty flat down to 20 hz with speakers that start rolling off at 40 hz (or 50 or 60 or 80 hz or whatever).

The full range speakers will give you grizzly bear / barrel chested authority. On just about everything.

They will also put a considerable amount of energy into the fabric of your home, even at low volumes - on just about every pop, rock, jazz, full orchestral album you have. At higher volumes you'll be worried about cracking plaster ceilings.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
gasolin said:
That question is best answered by you comparing speakers that are pretty flat down to 20 hz with speakers that start rolling off at 40 hz (or 50 or 60 or 80 hz or whatever).

The full range speakers will give you grizzly bear / barrel chested authority. On just about everything.

They will also put a considerable amount of energy into the fabric of your home, even at low volumes - on just about every pop, rock, jazz, full orchestral album you have. At higher volumes you'll be worried about cracking plaster ceilings.

Perfectly described. *smile*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
I think, as always, this thread has headed skyward.

Filling a room with sound without knowing size of room or whatever one calls 'filling' is a pointless excercise in self- flagellation.

Couldn't agree more.

As per my earlier post in this thread the room needs to be measured in order to successfully "fill" it. Filling it (I would have thought) is getting a smooth room response with a nice house curve. Whether that is done through acoustic treatment, equalisation or designing the whole house around the hifi is down to the individual.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Andrew

thanks for letting me know but very happy with my Dali opticon 8s my upgrading bug is finished as I am very happy with my setup .

still waiting on my rank I think it will be finished in a week or two but the chap found some English walnut to make my rack with so should be good I can not wait .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi Andrew 

thanks for letting me know but very happy with my Dali opticon 8s my upgrading bug is finished as I am very happy with my setup .

still waiting on my rank I think it will be finished in a week or two but the chap found some English walnut to make my rack with so should be good I can not wait .

No worries, maybe a good thing you dont hear lol.

Im very interested to see your rack when its finished.

Would you post some pictures for us when you get it?

Regards

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi Andrew

WHAT?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi Andrew

No worries, maybe a good thing you dont hear lol.

Im very interested to see your rack when its finished.

Would you post some pictures for us when you get it?

Regards
yep no problem mate as soon as I get it

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi Andrew

WHAT?
it should of said rack and not rank *mail1*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
gasolin said:

Perfectly described. *smile*

Plus another, spot on ! *good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts