Feet for sub-woofers - Spikes or Feet or Isolation?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have an MJ Acoustics Pro 50 Subwoofer and it sits on a hard laminate floor. What’s the best thing to do with the feet and floor contact? The sub has short stubby legs that have threaded holes suitable for M8 threaded spikes.

The reason I ask is that surely the sub will vibrate, resonate and dance on the hard floor?

I’ve seen isolating pads and feet that look like they’d help, but I'm not sure which would be best? Some are stick on, some sit beneath spikes and some screw-in and replace the spikes.

Does anyone have any knowledge about these or suggestions? It’s quite a small (and relatively light) sub, so this might be more of an issue than with heavy subs?

Tim

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Placing it on either a SubDude or a granite slab (available from your local supermarket or kitchen shop) should isolate your sub from the floor much better and give you tighter bass as well as stopping it from doing a Viennese Waltz across the floor.

Tim (also)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I've got the exact same problem with my sub after upgrading to the Dali Zensor 5 5.1 package recently, i have come up with a few possible solutions so far two of which are mentioned above (granite slab or the SubDude) but these are by far the most expensive solutions as a granite slab i was quoted £90 for at my local supplier and the Auralex SubDude is about £65 plus postage and hard to get hold of at the moment.

I think the Subdude is probably the best solution available but it's not the best looking peice of kit out there that's for sure but i'm seriously considering getting one because at present i can't get the blance of my sub right no matter what i try, i have used a digital sound meter to get the level correct and then dialled it back a bit by using the trusted bass heavy music method but still i get doors etc rattling and when i dial it down further i lose the bass from soundtracks and it all goes a bit flat.

I'm sure it's my flooring so along with the above suggestions i have looked at these:

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/category/53/spikes-and-isolation-feet/

There is a good selection of pads and feet available but i'm not sure how effective they would be, the other option is to add more soft furnishings to your room such as a large rug to cover as much of the flooring as possible as this will reduce the reflection from the sub...i'm still trying to decide what to do as it's not an exact science and i'm not sure how much i'm willing to spend :?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Tim,

What strikes me immediately is that you do not say what IS happening and if the sound is acceptable, outstanding, or anything.

It seems that you are speculating about possible problems and their solutions without finding out if there is a problem in the first place.

Give the sub a good run in guises that you can accomodate with your existing spikes, tak, slabs, etc. and find if there is a problem to actually sort out. If there is, do your best to describe it and then prople can help you.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I find the subwoofer leg and surface idea quite interesting and odd at the same time. I know that I’ll be playing around with a few ideas for sure.

My room is completely a wooden floor. But it seems there are at least 3 things to try:
1. A hard and heavy plinth, possibly granite.
2. A vibration damping plinth, like a subdude.
3. Spikes with vibration dampening. The soundcare superspikes look ideal. www.soundcare.no

The other bad thing about the Pro 50 without spikes is that the 4 feet are unlikely to sit well on a hard laminate floor. The good thing about the 3 options above is that they’d all make the subwoofer sit flat. I think I'm going to get the soundcare superspikes. Then get a granite plinth for a trial to see what happens (I think my Dad has something I can borrow to trial it out).

The thing that is funny in my head, is that some people say to use a hard surface, and others a damping surface like a subdude. I guess my theoretical view is that a forward firing sub would work well having isolation, but a downward firing sub would need isolation on the feet with a hard surface beneath the speaker to reflect the sound out. A granite plinth without damping might make the sound good, but create resonation with the speaker moving on it.

You are correct, moving into the new house tomorrow! Can't wait to start playing with this sub and sound system.

as for granite plinths, you can get them in some places like Tesco's and B&Q, as chopping boards. I got one a few years ago for like £15. worth a try!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:
I've got the exact same problem with my sub after upgrading to the Dali Zensor 5 5.1 package recently, i have come up with a few possible solutions so far two of which are mentioned above (granite slab or the SubDude) but these are by far the most expensive solutions as a granite slab i was quoted £90 for at my local supplier and the Auralex SubDude is about £65 plus postage and hard to get hold of at the moment.

Blimey Oldboy did you look for the most expensive bit of rock you could find then? Why not use one of the Tesco Finest Marble Boards at just £13. My Paradigm PDR-10 sub is on one HxWxD cm 39.4 x 33.3 x 38.7 & is a similar in size to the Zensor sub HxWxD cm 37 x 34 x 38, works a treat too.

Regards .. Paul

ep

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
Oldboy said:

Blimey Oldboy did you look for the most expensive bit of rock you could find then? Why not use one of the Tesco Finest Marble Boards at just £13. My Paradigm PDR-10 sub is on one HxWxD cm 39.4 x 33.3 x 38.7 & is a similar in size to the Zensor sub HxWxD cm 37 x 34 x 38, works a treat too.

Regards .. Paul

ep

Yep i think i did Paul...needless to say i just laughed and walked out :rofl:

Thanks for the tip regarding the Tesco Finest Marble Board i will have a look tomorrow when shopping or order one today from the tesco site as at that price it's well worth experimenting with! I don't want anything too OTT as my sub is forward firing but it does have a rather large port on the underside which is where the resonance is eminating from...i think.

Thanks again, regards

Nick

Edit: Can't find any sign of that marble board on the tesco website anywhere so will have to hope that i can get one in store but it's not looking good :cry:

Juzzie Wuzzie

On the Tesco boards - I'd recommend ONLY purchasing them in store. The first I purchased online, sent to my home, and it arrived broken. The second I purchased online, sent to my nearest Tesco "collection point" and it to arrived broken in two (only discovered when I got it home). I eventually superglued the second board back together (a dangerous job in and of itself).

Just a head's up as to risks involved.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Good spot Minkey 1, that looks pretty much the same as the Tesco ones.

Nick I bought the 3 of mine instore at Tesco & as a previous post i would advise you check them first before going to the till. If you decide on the Argos one, i would also advise you check it before leaving the store.

Regards ... Paul

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
Good spot Minkey 1, that looks pretty much the same as the Tesco ones.

Nick I bought the 3 of mine instore at Tesco & as a previous post i would advise you check them first before going to the till. If you decide on the Argos one, i would also advise you check it before leaving the store.

Regards ... Paul

I ordered it online for instore collection so was able to check it then. Obviously size needs to be checked. As to the aesthetics, it's a mottled dark grey. I've seen some online which are more a gloss black. Yer pays yer money etc

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks everyone for the granite board suggestions, much appreciated!

I've had a look at the Argos one but they are out of stock in my area unfortunatley and i've looked on Amazon etc but they all seem to be the same 30x40cm size...that's a tight fit for my sub and as i've noticed some of them have a bevelled edge which would mean i lose a few milimetres that could prove crucial as 30cm is the absolute minimum i can get away with, i have just a few milimetres to play with if the board is 30cm on one side (35x35cm would be ideal).

I will definately need to take a tape measure with me and go shopping for one as you all suggested as i would like one that isn't in many peices and it needs to be straight cut on the edges so i know i'm getting a true 30x40cm measurement, i'm sure i will end up paying a little extra but i don't mind as i can inspect it first.

Thank you all very much for your help :cheers:

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
No problem Nick , I just got back from doing a bit of shoppping, which included this months What HiFi mag & the Tesco one is £13.75 called - Tesco Finest Granite Surface Protector.

Regards..

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
No problem Nick , I just got back from doing a bit of shoppping, which included this months What HiFi mag & the Tesco one is £13.75 called - Tesco Finest Granite Surface Protector.

Regards..

Nice one paul :beer:

Went to Tesco yesterday and managed to pick two of those up, needed two as one wouldn't quite fit under the sub. It's made a surprising difference to the sound from the sub...for £27.50 it's been one hell of an upgrade, the bass is tighter and more authorative, with more detail and it's completely solved the booming i was getting plus best of all the doors have stopped rattling.

I couldn't be happier with my speakers now and the difference is night and day stuff with the sub, very many thanks for the shopping tip :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts