feeding my onkyo 875 with sky HD+ which resoloution

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
currently feeding my 875 sky HD+, with the res set to auto. The 875 then scales all to 1080p and sends to my Panasonic 42PZ85.

I thought this meant that the excellent scaler in the 875 would be doing all the scaling and the HD box would essentially be passing the signals though and not touching them?

But i've read somehwere - can't remember where, that doing this means that the sky box will be introducing artefacts into the picture due to de-interlacing. what on earth does this mean - and is it true? if so, it would imply that it's best to send all at 1080i??

help?

A

Anonymous

I do the same as you. auto from sky box, 1080p from Onkyo, deinterlacing off on screen.
Pretty sure that's the best way to go.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure I agree with that. With the Sky box in auto it does as little processing as possible, leaving the hard work to your Onkyo or screen. What you really need to make sure is that your screen isn't trying to deinterlace an already progressive source.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Andrew has his Sky box and Onkyo 875 set like that. ÿI send an 'auto' signal passed through to my Pioneer. ÿAs far as I'm concerned, if you've tried all of the options, the proof of the pudding.......

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
that's exactly what i thought, but reading around, it would appear that the HD box outputs a 576p signal, which means that it deinterlaces the 576i broadcast that it receives.

Apparently, it does a much worse job at deinterlacing than simply upscaling a 576i to a 1080i signal (where i assume it doesn't do any deinterlacing)

Wouldn't this then mean that the 875 will receive a better quality feed if the box is set to 1080i rather than auto where it will get a 576p for SD broadcasts?

It would be great if the tech department at WHSV could provide some guidance.

TRENDING THREADS