Favourite cover version?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

This Mortal Coil - Song To The Siren (Tim Buckley)

The Small Faces - Red Balloon (Tim Hardin)

Prodigy - Ghost Town (The Specials)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Maxwell's cover of Kate Bush's 'A Woman's Worth'.

Yep. That's a goody. I know you meant 'This Woman's Work'.
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:i actually quite like billy idols version of la woman..
emotion-3.gif

Right up until the point he sings "Wine-spodey-dodey, she drinks wine-spodey-dodey", I mean why? I heard that song just once, when it first came out and it's still burned into my psyche now.

And I LIKE Billy Idol!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
There can be only one:

Pop Will Eat Itself's cover of (no, not Love Missile F1-11, good though it is)...

Elvis' Rockahula Baby! Utter class!

I might not be being entirely serious here...

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
AL13N:The White Stripes - Jolene (Live Under Blackpool Lights)

YouTube

I love that song
emotion-21.gif

White Stripes version of "I Just dont know what to do with myself" with Kate Moss in the video is great.

Also

Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World"

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:
Elvis' Rockahula Baby! Utter class!

Top song
emotion-2.gif

Though my favourite Elvis cover - as it was indeed the author's - is his take on Dylan's Tomorrow is A Long Time

Sandie Shaw's covers album - Reviewing the Situation - is a cracker (especially the title track).

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from My Friends

Ike & Tina Turner - Come Together

Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - originally a Cher song...

And then - and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet - it's hard to fault Johnny Cash's unique take on Nine Inch Nails' Hurt

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
the_lhc:Elvis' Rockahula Baby! Utter class!

And then - and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet - it's hard to fault Johnny Cash's unique take on NineInch Nails' Hurt

Your colleague, Mr Lucas, beat you to it on that one, Clare. It is a brilliant cover, maybe more so because of the the video that accompanied it, along with the timing of it's release just before his death. It's just a shame that the recording is rubbish. It sounded great on the music channels and the radio, but, once played through a proper system it revealed it's flaws. The crescendo towards the end of the track has so much distortion on the piano and the vocals that I can't listen to it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
the_lhc:
(PWEI Cover of )Elvis' Rockahula Baby! Utter class!

Top song
emotion-2.gif

Irritatingly not on Spotify though, most of the album stuff is though, forgotten what a great track "Mother" is, might be their best lyric ever...

Actually there's 4 in a row there that are absolutely brilliant, Mother, Get The Girl Kill The Baddies, I've Always Been a Coward Baby and Token Drug Song, the other half of the album struggles to stand up to that but Harry Dean Stanton is a cracker as well, I'm going to have to get this again I think, looks like there might have been a mid-price reissue last year, interesting...

>And then - and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet

It has...

- it's hard to fault Johnny Cash's unique take on Ten Inch Nails' Hurt

Typical, always got to go the extra inch... EDIT: that didn't say "Nine" the first time round!
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Ah, so he did.
emotion-10.gif

Alright, I'll see his Shirley Bassey cover version of Light My Fire and raise him the Etta James take
emotion-2.gif

For every Etta James, there's a Will Young. Unfortunately.
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jonathan_E:
Susan Boyle's Perfect Day anyone?

Anyone?

Hello...?

Sorry Jonathan, didn't catch that, please repeat, please repppppeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[carrier lost].................

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:maxflinn:i actually quite like billy idols version of la woman..
emotion-3.gif

Right up until the point he sings "Wine-spodey-dodey, she drinks wine-spodey-dodey", I mean why? I heard that song just once, when it first came out and it's still burned into my psyche now.

And I LIKE Billy Idol!

wine-spodey-dodey
emotion-1.gif
..id say he was drinking some.. i just like it, the original is obviously better but i still liked billys effort, the video was constantly on in the pub i used to frequent in the summer of 1990, that was a great summer ..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
the_lhc:maxflinn:i actually quite like billy idols version of la woman..
emotion-3.gif

And I LIKE Billy Idol!

wine-spodey-dodey
emotion-1.gif
..id say he was drinking some.. i just like it, the original is obviously better but i still liked billys effort, the video was constantly on in the pub i used to frequent in the summer of 1990, that was a great summer ..

It was quite memorable, in fact I can tell you where I was when I heard that song the one time, in the back of a mates recently rebuilt VW Beetle which was on hydraulics (no suspension!), shaking our way down the A130 heading for Southend!

And yes, obviously the original is MUCH better!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts