Favourite cover version?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
NSYGrinner:plastic penguin:

One cover version I forgot... Tracks of my tears by Big Country. Hope you enjoy it, it's a great tribute to the late Stuart Adamson. Fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMUnZ8M1gJM&feature=related

The Hollies, The air that I breathe.

I'm having a bit of a Big Country night. This one I've got the video recorded at the Town & Country Club. Feelgood music. They cover Neil Young's Rockin' in the free world. Fabulous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHx30CucRQg

emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
For Big Country. i thought I was the only fan on here. There version of Tracks Of My Tears always went down well at concerts. Everybody wolf whistling when Stuart and Tony shared the mike. Their live 'scratch' version of Fields of Fire is ace. I thought their cover of Prairie Rose wasn't that bad either. At Leeds Heineken festival they did a good cover of Daydream Believer

Cripes, likewise thought I was a sole supporter. One of the best bands of the 80's, fantastic live.... made me feel 10' tall.

Tracks Of My Tears was the 'B' side of Chance (12" only), and when I heard of Stuart's passing, it was a sad day.
emotion-9.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

gel:Also i prefer Thin Lizzys version of Whisky in the Jar too anyone elses.

And Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love

A

Anonymous

dont think its a cover, but big countrys "chance" is a fantastic song...

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Barry Manilow`s version of Randy Edelman`s `Weekend In New England`. Mind you the originals great too.

Like the Nolans cover of Diana Ross` `Touch Me In The Morning`. The original is the best but I think it`s a nice version.

`Mr. Tambourine Man` by the Byrds. Prefer this to Dylan`s original. Sorry Bob but think of the royalties!

Michael Ball`s version of Chris Rea`s `Driving Home For Christmas`.

I`m going to second Ravey Davey Gravy`s selection of Eva Cassidy songs. Stunning.

It can occur that you hear the cover version before the original. This happened with me with Prince`s `Nothing Compares To You` which I heard by Sinead O`Connor first and much prefer. Very sad song mind.

Loads of others but I don`t want to hog too much space. Good thread P.P.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
Cripes, likewise thought I was a sole supporter. One of the best bands of the 80's, fantastic live.... made me feel 10' tall.

Tracks Of My Tears was the 'B' side of Chance (12" only), and when I heard of Stuart's passing, it was a sad day.
emotion-9.gif

It'll be 9 years next month since the sorry day. Probably my fave band of all time. I'm not a big fan of No Place Like Home but I thought The Buffalo Skinners was a great return to form.

12" Chance was a great single. The Crossing is a great song. Pity it was so long they couldn't fit it on the album.

The Seer Tour '86 at Manchester Apollo is my fave gig of all time. From the opening of Wonderland all the way thtough to the second version of Fields Of Fire I don't think I stopped jumping about and singing along. Brings back many happy memories.

Max: Yeah! Chance is a great song from great album.
emotion-21.gif

NSYGrinner:plastic penguin:

emotion-9.gif

It'll be 9 years next month since the sorry day. Probably my fave band of all time. I'm not a big fan of No Place Like Home but I thought The Buffalo Skinners was a great return to form.

12" Chance was a great single. The Crossing is a great song. Pity it was so long they couldn't fit it on the album.

The Seer Tour '86 at Manchester Apollo is my fave gig of all time. From the opening of Wonderland all the way thtough to the second version of Fields Of Fire I don't think I stopped jumping about and singing along. Brings back many happy memories.

Max: Yeah! Chance is a great song from great album.
emotion-21.gif

First saw Big Country live when they supported The Jam's farewell concerts at Wembley Arena. Pretty awesome. Last time was at Brixton Academy in 1990.

A

Anonymous

My first time was The Seer Tour '86 at Manchester Apollo and the last time in '95 at York Barbican on the Why The Long Face Tour. I saw them loads of times inbetween. Sometimes on following nights at different venues on the same tour. I also saw them support David Bowie on The Glass Spider tour at Wembley Stadium.

I only got Do They Know It's Christmas because they were on the b-side.

What a saddo geek.
emotion-1.gif

NSYGrinner:

My first time was The Seer Tour '86 at Manchester Apollo and the last time in '95 at York Barbican on the Why The Long Face Tour. I saw them loads of times inbetween. Sometimes on following nights at different venues on the same tour. I also saw them support David Bowie on The Glass Spider tour at Wembley Stadium.

I only got Do They Know It's Christmas because they were on the b-side.

What a saddo geek.
emotion-1.gif

When they first started they had problems securing a deal with the large companies, mainly due to the fact that 'New Romantics, Phil Oakey-style dodgy hair dos and horrible sythesized music' was the rage. They were certainly going against the grain. Ahh, a breath of fresh air.

A

Anonymous

in a reminiscing mood pp? a couple of old threads of yours have been revived today
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:in a reminiscing mood pp? a couple of old threads of yours have been revived today
emotion-1.gif

Nope - don't believe in starting a thread if it can be covered by a previous one.
emotion-5.gif

very good answer pp
emotion-1.gif
.. you're in good form
emotion-21.gif

maxflinn:plastic penguin:

maxflinn:in a reminiscing mood pp? a couple of old threads of yours have been revived today
emotion-1.gif

Nope - don't believe in starting a thread if it can be covered by a previous one.
emotion-5.gif

very good answer pp
emotion-1.gif
.. you're in good form
emotion-21.gif

A lot of people would say you are the king of the 'thread starter', but I had that title beforehand. My problem was I gave a lot of my threads really strange titles, now I can't remember most of them. C'est la vie.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:maxflinn:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-5.gif

very good answer pp
emotion-1.gif
.. you're in good form
emotion-21.gif

A lot of people would say you are the king of the 'thread starter', but I had that title beforehand. My problem was I gave a lot of my threads really strange titles, now I can't remember most of them. C'est la vie.
lol, quantity not quality, i'll say it before anyone else does
emotion-1.gif

just a phase though pp, tied in with boozing and listening to music, one of those hobbies has a future, the other doesn't
emotion-3.gif

maxflinn:

plastic penguin:maxflinn:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-5.gif

very good answer pp
emotion-1.gif
.. you're in good form
emotion-21.gif

lol, quantity not quality, i'll say it before anyone else does
emotion-1.gif

just a phase though pp, tied in with boozing and listening to music, one of those hobbies has a future, the other doesn't
emotion-3.gif

This is the advantage I have over you: I started all my rubbish totally sober....
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

ah it's a bit of fun eh.. hopefully you can revisit your potential pp cafe thread with some great news
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts