Favourite cover version?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

johnbwfc

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
There are a few good ones on Johnny Cash's American recordings series, the ones that stand out to me are

Hurt - Obviously

I See A Darkness (Bonnie Prince Billy)

One - U2

Also

Gimmee Shelter - Sisters Of Mercy (Rolling Stones)

The Book Of Love - Peter Gabriel (Magnetic Fields), although his version of Street Spirit on the same album is like fingernails on a blackboard.

professorhat:

Superstition by Waxed
emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I really am sorry to be a pedant (honest, but i cant stop meself), but not sure Smiths version of Because The Night counts, as I'm pretty sure she recorded it first, and she even had a hand in the writing.

A

Anonymous

Love Will Tear Us Apart - The Swans

Dancing Barefoot - The Mission

She Sells Sanctuary - Keane (It's good that a band without guitars manages to pull off an air guitar classic)

How Soon Is Now - Love Spit Love (the theme to Charmed)

Who Do You Love - The Jesus And Mary Chain

Addicted To Love - Ciccone Youth

Can I also have Sndie Shaws - Hand In Glove. I know it was with The Smiths.

Also agree with some of the previously mentioned tracks Hurt - Johnny Cash and Ziggy Stardust - Bauhaus

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just came up on shuffle on iPod forgot about it & prob not quite as good as the original.

HELDEN by APOCALYPTICA/TILL LINDERMAN, German language version of Bowies Heroes

A

Anonymous

Bauhaus - Third Uncle.

Despite having some of the most fantastically, brazenly absurd lyrics ever ( "Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire"! - "Arresting wasps from stings in flight") their best musical moments were cover versions - Telegram Sam, Ziggy Stardust and the aforementioned. Love 'em dearly!

A

Anonymous

Oh, and

Happiness is a Warm Gun - Breeders

Twist and Shout - Beatles

Hush - Deep Purple

Cocaine - Eric Clapton

Walk on by - Stranglers

But to be frank, most music nowadays is a barely concealed cover version of what's gone before. Discuss.

SteveR750

slithytove:
Oh, and

Happiness is a Warm Gun - Breeders

Twist and Shout - Beatles

Hush - Deep Purple

Cocaine - Eric Clapton

Walk on by - Stranglers

But to be frank, most music nowadays is a barely concealed cover version of what's gone before. Discuss.

Measured in harmonic progressions then yes maybe, but then the brain needs a basic mathematical relationship between notes for it to be "musical" at all, and after all there are only 12 notes available. Persnally I disagree, as any blues payer will tell you, the scale might only contain 5 notes, but there are an infinite number on the way between each one....

A

Anonymous

Err, yeah but when did you last hear music that made you think, hey, wow that's different? There have been no new genres of music since hip hop/rap. Everything since has been, as you suggest, variations on themes.

A

Anonymous

slithytove:Err, yeah but when did you last hear music that made you think, hey, wow that's different? There have been no new genres of music since hip hop/rap. Everything since has been, as you suggest, variations on themes.

What about the dance music revolution taht exploded during the late 80's. That was a far cry from the disco and soul music that popular during the 70's. Whilst there may not be many totally new genres, at least there are many artists who don't want to pigeon hole themselves. They draw from many areas and make something unique. I would say that is better.

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin:Live and let die? Not a big fan of Guns 'n' Roses, but that's a corker.

Yep
emotion-21.gif
definitely one of my favourites also:

Knockin on heavens door guns n roses also and

Desolation row - my chemical romance song and written by Bob Dylan.

D

Deleted member 2457

Also i prefer Thin Lizzys version of Whisky in the Jar too anyone elses.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

One cover version I forgot... Tracks of my tears by Big Country. Hope you enjoy it, it's a great tribute to the late Stuart Adamson. Fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMUnZ8M1gJM&feature=related

The Hollies, The air that I breathe.

I'm having a bit of a Big Country night. This one I've got the video recorded at the Town & Country Club. Feelgood music. They cover Neil Young's Rockin' in the free world. Fabulous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHx30CucRQg

emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
For Big Country. i thought I was the only fan on here. There version of Tracks Of My Tears always went down well at concerts. Everybody wolf whistling when Stuart and Tony shared the mike. Their live 'scratch' version of Fields of Fire is ace. I thought their cover of Prairie Rose wasn't that bad either. At Leeds Heineken festival they did a good cover of Daydream Believer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts