Fatman iTube or Onkyo CR515 DAB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am thinking of buying a new (compact) hifi and ideally would like something that has some kind of docking station for my iPod. The 2 systems at the top of my list are the Fatman iTube and the Onkyo CR515 DAB (with the iPod dock). Has anyone heard these 2 systems in action and can advise on which has the best sound? The system will be used in my smallish (12ft x 10ft) lounge so doesn't have to be partically loud. Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

The Fatman is excellent at what it does, but i'd opt for the extra flexibility, features and performance of the Onkyo + dock - especially if you choose to just buy the system and add even better speakers (think Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom, £110).

If you do choose the Fatman, you should also not choose the Fatman speakers (OK, but not great) and opt for something like the Tannoys.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's a bit apples and oranges - either will do the job very well, but the Onkyo plus dock option also gets you a CD player and a radio tuner, whereas the Fattie is just a dock and amp. But as Clare says, in either case don't just go for the standard or obvious same-brand speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy replies. I guess you both prefer the Onkyo, is the carbon iTube a better match (greater power/inputs) than the standard iTube?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shawld2"]

is the carbon iTube a better match (greater power/inputs) than the standard iTube?

[/quote]

On the contrary - the Carbon has lower output than the standard iTube:
one of the reasons we gave it four stars compared to the five stars
(and Award) for the original Fatman iTube Valve Dock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts