Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone

I often listen to music, and (rarely) films with a Denon 2.1 S-102 which has become a bit outdated by now.

I now want to replace everything. Reasons (short version):
I want to receive Internet radio or DAB +
I want to be able to stream music from my phone (1 x Android 1 x Apple)
I would like to prevent that in Movies the voices are always too low and music and abient sound is too loud, since recorded in 5.1

A little more detail:

Main focus: Music
Minor matter: TV. The only reason that today's movies are recorded in 5.1 mode. I want to place center speaker for better voice reproduction (solves my problem?)
i prefer smaller shelf speakers. Ideally, 2 stereo speakers + sub for music + Center for Voices (?). Color compelling: white.

Requirements amplifier, Reciever:
Some HDMI inputs
Output for sub, center, and 2 - 3 stereo speakers
Radio: FM tuner and network connection (wired) for Internet radio. Alternatively, DAB + Receiver

Further, the system should be able to stream music from your phone (Bluetooth, Airpaly etc.)

I live in a apartment building. The system thus always runs pretty quietly. I would therefore like a very good perfomance in this area. Peak loads is not in focus.

The amplifier should not exceed 500 - 700 euro cost.
The speakers not more than 1300 - 1500 (all together). have been looking at Kef, Nubert, dali and Canton.

I Have little technical know how. Therefore, I am grateful for answers with a focus on the benefits instead of technical details.
Thank you guys (i guess, youre all guys:))

Judith

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
very sorry about that as well...
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

rainsoothe

Is it ok if you get separate systems? If it is, then it's a no-brainer (imo):

1. Soundbase for your TV - if it's a smaller TV, Checkout Cambridge Audio Minx TV (smallest), Cambridge Audio TV2 and Canton DM50. If it's a large TV, then Cambridge Audio TV5 or Canton DM75. Since you said it's an apartment and won't go necessarily loud, i think one of the first three should suffice. Just look for their specs and check if your TV's stand fits on top of them.

2. Music system: Marantz MCR 610 (it has CD, FM and DAB radio, can stream music from home network or phone, and has 1 analogue input as well, and even 1 optical input) + Dali Zensor 3. And that's it, simple, pretty, clean, and great sounding :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:

1. Soundbase for your TV - if it's a smaller TV, Checkout Cambridge Audio Minx TV (smallest), Cambridge Audio TV2 and Canton DM50. If it's a large TV, then Cambridge Audio TV5 or Canton DM75. Since you said it's an apartment and won't go necessarily loud, i think one of the first three should suffice. Just look for their specs and check if your TV's stand fits on top of them.

2. Music system: Marantz MCR 610 (it has CD, FM and DAB radio, can stream music from home network or phone, and has 1 analogue input as well, and even 1 optical input) + Dali Zensor 3. And that's it, simple, pretty, clean, and great sounding :)

I use a Canton DM50 for the TV, and it works very well indeed. BUT... it doesn't take HDMI (which is one of Judith's requirements). Maybe the Cambridges are better in this respect?

rainsoothe

DocG said:
rainsoothe said:

I use a Canton DM50 for the TV, and it works very well indeed. BUT... it doesn't take HDMI (which is one of Judith's requirements). Maybe the Cambridges are better in this respect?

ah, well spotted - I'm affraid not, they only take optical if I read the specs right.

Judith, any particular reason you MUST have HDMI in? Because if your TV does, and it has optical out, then you can just use the optical out from the TV into the optical in of a soundbase, and use the TV's HDMI inputs for Blu-ray players and whatnot.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Producing a well-balanced sound at lowish volumes is a quality, often to be found in active speakers. I'm just not sure how to bring all the connectivity together, including the radio (if internet radio would do, we're nearly there)... Maybe a good bluray-player with analogue outs could be an option, when combined with actives like these Adams, three of them for stereo + centre channel. You can always add a sub later, if you feel you need it (and your neighbours approve).

I'm sure Davedotco can help you out here. Where is Dave when you need him?

EDIT: these Dynaudio Xeo 3s could be an attractive alternative too.

BTW, where do you live, Judith? (just your country will do :^))

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Producing a well-balanced sound at lowish volumes is a quality, often to be found in active speakers. I'm just not sure how to bring all the connectivity together, including the radio (if internet radio would do, we're nearly there)... Maybe a good bluray-player with analogue outs could be an option, when combined with actives like these Adams, three of them for stereo + centre channel. You can always add a sub later, if you feel you need it (and your neighbours approve).

Out eating caribean food and italian wine, it's Good Friday FFS.

Sluurp, buurp, hicc.....*wacko*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
DocG said:

Out eating caribean food and italian wine, it's Good Friday FFS.

Sluurp, buurp, hicc.....*wacko*

Mind the language, Dave! The lady doesn't know you yet!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Very good lunch, bit boozy too, so apologies all round.

The issue here is combining a 2.1 music system with a 3.1 cinema system, harder than you might think.

I would check out A/V receivers in the £500-600 class. Try and make sure that it supports 2.1 and 3.1 setups and buy the least complex, most powerful model you can find.

Speakers need to be matched, so you would need a centre channel from the same range as your main speakers, easy enough but it does limit your options somewhat.

The other option might be a reciever with a 'virtual' centre channel (sometimes virtual presence speaker), this adds centre channel (dialogue) information to the front stereo speakers and for non critical use might render a centre channel speaker unnecessary. You might need some expert advice on this, not really my area of expertese.

Receiver, reciever, whatever......*unknw*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Judith,

A possible solution could come with the Nakamichi AV1, which you can use as a 'hub' to feed some active speakers (that I mentioned before).

Steve1979 uses it; he seems very happy with it. Hopefully he can chip in to give you some more info. As far as I can see, the connectivity looks excellent, bar internet access/wifi.

IMO it might be excellent value for money!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bear in mind that the Marantz M-CR610 only has a fixed output via RCA.

If you plugged it into active speakers - without any volume control of their own - (like the AVI DM5s) then you'd get a very big suprise when you played anything on it! (And a couple of blown speakers most likely.)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:

If you plugged it into active speakers - without any volume control of their own - (like the AVI DM5s) then you'd get a very big suprise when you played anything on it! (And a couple of blown speakers most likely.)

True! Moreover, it lacks the HDMI inputs the OP asked for. And it can't drive a centre channel speaker...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

Really? That's blown it (pun not intended). In my Big Plan That Probably Will Never Materialise, they were on my list of Possibles when I thin down to a completely digital system and junk traditional amplification and my clutter of ageing black boxes. Ah well.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Really? That's blown it (pun not intended). In my Big Plan That Probably Will Never Materialise, they were on my list of Possibles when I thin down to a completely digital system and junk traditional amplification and my clutter of ageing black boxes. Ah well.

Time to get a pair of Phantoms then! *biggrin*

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone

thanks for sharing your thougts! I have been trying to reply for several days but this forum seems not to like: IOS devices, Firefox, too long texts....

Has anyone a hint on how to write a longer answer without producing a bunch of error messages?

Thanks!

Judith

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Judith Wirth said:
Hello everyone

thanks for sharing your thougts! I have been trying to reply for several days but this forum seems not to like: IOS devices, Firefox, too long texts....

Has anyone a hint on how to write a longer answer without producing a bunch of error messages?

Thanks!

Judith

Hi Judith,

As you found out, the forum works 'suboptimally' (you like euphemisms?) since the make-over. Four tricks for posting:

1/ Use Chrome. The forum seems to dislike that browser less than others (I'm typing on a iPad now, though...).

2/ Copy your whole message before sending it. If things go wrong, have a second try. Might save you a lot of frustration.

3/ If possible, avoid hyperlinks. They trigger the spam filter.

3/ If the spam filter is really ruining your forum-life, send an e-mail to JD (john.duncan.whf@gmail.com); he's a moderator, who can get you in the 'trusted posters' category, so the filter leaves you alone.

SteveR750

DocG said:
Judith Wirth said:
Hello everyone

Thanks!

Judith

Hi Judith,

As you found out, the forum works 'suboptimally' (you like euphemisms?) since the make-over. Four tricks for posting:

1/ Use Chrome. The forum seems to dislike that browser less than others (I'm typing on a iPad now, though...).

2/ Copy your whole message before sending it. If things go wrong, have a second try. Might save you a lot of frustration.

3/ If possible, avoid hyperlinks. They trigger the spam filter.

3/ If the spam filter is really ruining your forum-life, send an e-mail to JD (john.duncan.whf@gmail.com); he's a moderator, who can get you in the 'trusted posters' category, so the filter leaves you alone.

3.3. Ask the same question on pinkfishmedia / avforums or similar with a fully functional social media experience.

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
OK, next try, with Chrome...
Hello eveyone you seem to be a bunch of fun guys out ther????. Thanks for sharing your thougts and experience so far. splitting up the system into a soundplate and a stereo seems interesting. No specific need for hdmi in that case. My question: does a virtual 2.1 soundbar solve the low voices issue? Since my actual real 2.1 denon doesnt. the suggestion with the active speakers seems interesting too. My question there: hiw do i solve my tv issue there? Or was your suggestion also considering the use of a soundplate? Second question: can you recommend a device for dab or internet radio? How about streaming from a phone? About The Marantz m-cr610: Interesting device! thanks for introducing it to me. My question about the speakers: the Marantz offers Bi-Amping. The Dali Zensor 3 do not offer Bi Wiring. Is there no advantage, if i choose speakers with bi-wiring? and the last question to davedotco: any preferences for the a/v reciever? And maybe someone else could recommend speakers? thank you so much! Btw I am from switzerland.Judith

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Judith Wirth said:
the suggestion with the active speakers seems interesting too. My question there: hiw do i solve my tv issue there? Or was your suggestion also considering the use of a soundplate? Second question: can you recommend a device for dab or internet radio? How about streaming from a phone?

So my suggestion would consist of a Nakamichi AV1 + active speakers.

The TV issue: plug it into the AV1 (HDMI). Connect the 3 speakers to the AV1 with an RCA or (preferably) an XLR-cable: front left, front right & centre. Add a sub if you feel you need it. Watch a movie.

Device for DAB: included in the AV1. Internet radio: not sure if that's available; ask Steve_1979.

Streaming from a phone: Blutooth (no Airplay on the AV1).

The main speakers could be Adam Artist 3 or 5 (or plenty of others; just check if they're available in white;-)). As a centre speaker, you could go for the matching Adam Artist 6H; alternatively, use a third Artist 3 or 5 (if you want to lay it on its side, you'll need to turn the tweeter by 90° -- or have that done in the shop for you).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts