All New :-)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It is not really about volume, it is about getting the music to fill the room which is quite large.

An underpowered setup will not do this, the music will just come from the speaker boxes, a bit like having a transister radio in the corner of a large room.

As always it depends a lot on what your expectations and requirements are, enthusiasts, such as the posters on this forum, tend to have higher expectations than most, so it depends on you.

I think you can easily over complicate this, try a MCR610/510 with the Zensor 3 and see how you get on in your room, have an arrangement with your dealer to swap the Zensors for something a bit more potent should you need them.

You really need to see how this works for you, your room, your expectation, try it and see.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
It is not really about volume, it is about getting the music to fill the room which is quite large.

An underpowered setup will not do this, the music will just come from the speaker boxes, a bit like having a transister radio in the corner of a large room.

As always it depends a lot on what your expectations and requirements are, enthusiasts, such as the posters on this forum, tend to have higher expectations than most, so it depends on you.

I think you can easily over complicate this, try a MCR610/510 with the Zensor 3 and see how you get on in your room, have an arrangement with your dealer to swap the Zensors for something a bit more potent should you need them.

You really need to see how this works for you, your room, your expectation, try it and see.

This post is very relevant. If it's impossible to do a home audition, you should at least try to do auditions at dealers. We are stressing about auditioning for yourself because it's THAT important.
About the Arcams, the FMJ 19 only has 50, but it has a huge sound (I own one). The 120 W one is called A39 and its about double the price, and the 200 W one is only a power amp, and it requires a preamp, and it's even more expensive. But you need to hear the stuff. Imo, something along the lines of A19+ B&W 685s2 or Focal Aria 906 should suffice. But hey, even the Marantz+Dali could work for you. If you can't audition any of it, XTZ is your best bet since they're internet based and offer a 2 week home trial with full refund, and they sound amazing imo. If you hate it, you can just return it and go for one of the more mainstream suggestions.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
One area that we seem to be ignoring is functionality.

The OP requires networking to access music on a NAS, Airplay and, no doubt, a simple yet effective interface.

Something like the Yamaha RX-V677 can be used as a stereo or 2.1 system. Power is 90 wpc 8 ohms and it does everything required, network connection, Spotify Connect, internet and FM radio, Airplay, subwoofer output, virtual centre channel for tv and movies (the soundbar is not needed) and decent app for iOS or Android. Costs a very modest £350 in the uk.

It should be able to drive any sensible stand mount speaker to reasonable levels and does it all from one box, given the range of functionality required and the bigger than average space, a very elegant solution. The Arcam A19 might be a better amplifier but it is not network capable, has no airplay and you will still need the soundbar.

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I fully agree with Davedotco

Even if the solution with the A19 and for instance the Kef LS50 could be a great High Fidelity solution, it (alltogether with the soundbar and a separate streamer) exceeds my budget.

How about getting back to a solution with a AV Reciever with good stereo performance and some matching speakers? I would also be willing to buy a center.

Do you know, if there are AV recievers on the market, where you may "store" different sound setups? Like for Music it would only drive two stereo speakers and for movies it would drive a center and four speakers (the two stereo and some rears for instance)?

I would be happy to get some reccommendations on that. Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_737619849 said:
I fully agree with Davedotco

Even if the solution with the A19 and for instance the Kef LS50 could be a great High Fidelity solution, it (alltogether with the soundbar and a separate streamer) exceeds my budget.

How about getting back to a solution with a AV Reciever with good stereo performance and some matching speakers? I would also be willing to buy a center.

Do you know, if there are AV recievers on the market, where you may "store" different sound setups? Like for Music it would only drive two stereo speakers and for movies it would drive a center and four speakers (the two stereo and some rears for instance)?

I would be happy to get some reccommendations on that. Thanks!

The Yamaha mentioned above should do everything you want, the two different sound setups will be switchable just by going from a cinema setting (to enable the phantom centre) to a 2 channel setting for music.

The interface, the way this setup works in practice, can really only be discovered by getting to a store and trying one out, don't worry about the sound quality of the reciever, it will be fine, look at the control functions, the iOS/Android apps and of course the streaming functions. A reasonably competent sales person should be able to take you through all this.

Although I have named a specific Yamaha model, there are plenty of other models to choose from, just look to see which ones have the facilities you need, the Denons are usually ok as are the Marantz, though the latter will probably need a centre channel speaker, the Yamaha will not.

Finally choose a pair of speakers to suit you and your room, just listen to a few and try for something not too small and reasonably sensitive, a lot will depend on what is available in your market. I still think compact floor standers are the best bet, but that is up to you, if you can try a pair and see what you are missing.

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello again:) I am recently still in the process of "considering"... The Yamaha AV Recieve is one of my favourites though.

Now, i have been offered to buy a used sonos play 5 for an interestingly low price. I am new to the SONOS Universe. So, just shortly: What do you think about it

- soundwise? (has lots of good test reviews)
- would it solve my TV issue (poor Voices) , if my TV would be connected to it?
- otherwise, it seems to meet many of my requirements: Streaming, Airplay, etc.

thanks and a happy, sunny weekend!

Judith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts