External Hard drive

John Duncan

It is, but is expensive if all you need is connected storage, as opposed to require it to run an OS - I'd probably get a pair of these and mirror them for backup purposes.

in which case, the most pertinent question to the OP is this - do you want to be able to listen to your music without having your laptop switched on, and if so, how do you want to do it?

A

Anonymous

It is just to rip my CD collection in apple lossless format and use as my ipod 'Library'.

I plan to use an ipod and onkyo dock for my listening.

I was going to get a NAS and squeezebox but don't see the point now. I want simplicity and can't be bothered with the mucking about setting up the NAS with the slimserver software. That sort of stuff bores me to tears and frustrates me if and when it goes wrong, (unless you can convince me otherwise).

The other option was a Sonos and NAS as that appears to be the 'plug and play' solution but is beyond my budget at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks JD.

I take it you can't convince me otherwise regrding the squeezebox set up? That was my first choice but like I said it looks too bothersome for my needs.

BTW... How would I mirror two drives? I understand what you mean, I just don't know how to do it.

John Duncan

You can set up your laptop to do it when it's on with something like SyncToy (a Microsoft download), and at a push I think some drives might support it natively, I haven't investigated. Alternatively, you could have a small PC running windows Home Server to do it, but that might be one box too many for you.

And no, I can't convince you that a squeezebox/NAS combo isn't a faff - I'd be alright because my Mac is on all the time, and so could act as the server, with the files on the network, but installing Squeezeserver on a NAS drive, unless it's pre-installed, looks like my idea of hell.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Strodo:It is just to rip my CD collection in apple lossless format and use as my ipod 'Library'. I plan to use an ipod and onkyo dock for my listening. I was going to get a NAS and squeezebox but don't see the point now. I want simplicity and can't be bothered with the mucking about setting up the NAS with the slimserver software. That sort of stuff bores me to tears and frustrates me if and when it goes wrong, (unless you can convince me otherwise). The other option was a Sonos and NAS as that appears to be the 'plug and play' solution but is beyond my budget at the moment.

I currently use a HP Laptop running itunes and the Slimserver software... with a Western Digital Mybook 500gb external HD (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=351) and a Squeezebox Classic.....

It was easy to setup and use....

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys.

I think I'll get myself one (or two) of those drives and stick with the ipod route.
I've been too'ing and fro'ing for weeks now and it's been doing my head in.

I can bide my time for when the squeezebox is more NAS friendly and something comes out with the software pre-installed or for when I can justify the purchase of a Sonos.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The QNAP109 comes with SqueezeCentre pre-installed (an optional extra). See here. This should be easy to set up.

If you don't fancy that, I use this as an external HDD. I like the fact that it automatically powers on when I turn on my PC.....and Seagate is a quality manufacturer.

A

Anonymous

I'll second the Lacie vote- don't just look good, very reliable too

A

Anonymous

PJPro:The QNAP109 comes with SqueezeCentre pre-installed (an optional extra). See here. This should be easy to set up.

If you don't fancy that, I use this as an external HDD. I like the fact that it automatically powers on when I turn on my PC.....and Seagate is a quality manufacturer.

You absolute sod!!!

I had made my decision and now you've thrown a spanner in the works!

A couple of questions regarding this product...

Is this a 'plug and play' solution? (obviously the connection set up would have to be completed for the squeezebox)

It looks like I also would have to buy a hard drive to attach to the QNAP, is this correct?

Can it be hard wired to my router and to the squeezebox?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

There are plenty of NAs options that come with Slimserver pre-installed. Ripcaster offer lots of options and good prices and service.

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/128

I used to use a QNAP TS-101 and it worked perfectly with the old version of Squeezecentre. I have now switched to a Windows Home Server machine which may be overkill for your needs but works really well with a Squeezebox and has the advantage of being Windows based and so familiar for anyone with PC experience.

Personally I can't recommend the Squeezebox enough, its a fantastic bit of kit.

John Duncan

Still quite expensive options there since yes, you do have to add a hard drive. It really depends on whether you think you will be listening to music with your laptop switched on or not...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts