External Blu Ray Drive for Mac

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
No-one can recommend a Blu-ray drive for Mac without incurring The Wrath of Steve™ ;)

Try copying your message header into a search engine box for more details and options.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Would like to resurrect this post since I now have a portable Mac and there are very few other posts I can see about this. Have noticed Mr Hobbs recommended this in the another post which looks fine, but what software have people used to playback Blu-rays on OS X as it seems like this is the tricky part...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, does seem to be the obvious one, but I've read numerous places saying it doesn't actually work (even recent posts in January 2012) and the only way others have got Blu-ray to work on the Mac so far is streaming to VLC via some hacking software (which doesn't sound ideal).

Wondered if there was anyone here who'd used the above or some other software and could confirm it actually does work?

A

Anonymous

I think it would be easier to get those lovely and open folks at Apple to change their mind. Flash, anyone?

Shame. I'd go Mac if it they supported Blu.

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
External BD players/recorders for the Mac aren't very common that's for sure.

Wouldn't put me off buying any Mac though, as I have been doing for the last 20 years. Lacie do one and have been doing since BD was conceived, I don't like their hard drives but their recorders are very good imo.

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10539

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10487

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The trick seems to be finding compatible software to actually playback Blu-rays. Finding the drive is the easy part. Mind you, I've not looked for a few months, so maybe that's been sorted now?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts