expensive mistake

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Your will find the Dali 3s can boom too just to warn you . *smile*

[/quote in all fairness ,all speakers will boom in my room! but not with a crossover,90hz worked on my floorstanders ,so 60hz might work with a bookcase*smile*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid62 said:
i have not set up the same system time after time,my first speakers was; b&w cm7,s that worked fine with a crossover (90HZ), but my AVR broke so i thought bookcase would work full range on a stereo amp, big mistake. i have yet to try a bookcase with bass management as i have no avr! but i was surprised even a small speaker like the Focal chorus 705 still droned a little.(on CXA60) however i know any bookcase will work with a crossover as my floorstanders did(on marantz SR 6006) . but i do agree the speakers in your picture would work in my room*smile*

I didn't say the same system, I said the same type of system.

Since you do not seem prepared to look at solutions that will work, I shall leave you to continue with more of the same that don't.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

Since you do not seem prepared to look at solutions that will work, I shall leave you to continue with more of the same that don't.

[/quote] Sorry; l never read your post correctly, I had one eye on t.v,it is not that your solutions won't work in my room; they would do a wonderful job, it is they are out off my budget, me & the wife, don't have any spare money,so a pair.of £300 speakers takes about 4 months saving.in future posts I will state budget☺thank you, for showing me that there are solutions out there.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid62 said:

Sorry; l never read your post correctly, I had one eye on t.v,it is not that your solutions won't work in my room; they would do a wonderful job, it is they are out off my budget, me & the wife, don't have any spare money,so a pair.of £300 speakers takes about 4 months saving.in future posts I will state budget☺thank you, for showing me that there are solutions out there.

[/quote]

The issue, I had to live with a near invisible budget for a while until recently.

My earlier point still stands though, just trying different speakers of a similar type will probably lead to more frustration, you do need to 'think differently'.

For example, Neat Iota speakers are designed to work tight to a wall, they are very controlled and such positioning may well be better than trying to give the speaker room. Prices have come down a bit recently, you might be able to pick up a used pair around £300.

Alternatively, move the CXA on for what you can get and buy an inexpensive AVR, models without HDMI connectors are particularly cheap, you can get get (otherwise) quite sophisticated units with flexible bass management for very little.

Finally, a somewhat more radical suggestion would be the tiny Genelec 8320 APM, similar to the set above but smaller and less than £1k. Expensive sure, but again you will not need your CXA.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
[

davedot [/quote said:
The issue, I had to live with a near invisible budget for a while until recently.

My earlier point still stands though, just trying different speakers of a similar type will probably lead to more frustration, you do need to 'think differently'.

For example, Neat Iota speakers are designed to work tight to a wall, they are very controlled and such positioning may well be better than trying to give the speaker room. Prices have come down a bit recently, you might be able to pick up a used pair around £300
The cxa ,in retrospect was a foolish buy,As i should have got a new AVR*fool* but i am now going to buy a marantz nr 1506,use the pre out to cxa60,so in effect it becomes a power amp,overkill really( but i don,t want to sell it) than use bass mansgement. In speakers like the Neat lota,s that will work with my room, instead off against it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid62 said:
[

davedot [/quote said:

For example, Neat Iota speakers are designed to work tight to a wall, they are very controlled and such positioning may well be better than trying to give the speaker room. Prices have come down a bit recently, you might be able to pick up a used pair around £300
The cxa ,in retrospect was a foolish buy,As i should have got a new AVR*fool* but i am now going to buy a marantz nr 1506,use the pre out to cxa60,so in effect it becomes a power amp,overkill really( but i don,t want to sell it) than use bass mansgement. In speakers like the Neat lota,s that will work with my room, instead off against it.

If you are buying the NR1506 then there is absolutely no point in hanging on to the CXA.

If you need to keep the budget tight, take a look at the Equator E5, typically £399 and very controlled, they have three way boundary compensation so give you some options. Add a sub when you can.

Equator-Audio-D5-Focus-Front-Back.jpg

As I said earlier, think differently.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
with every post you want to definitely buy something else *biggrin*

recommended genelec/ sam is a way to go or avi dm10... dont listen avole as the guy did not hear the speakers. I have them right against the wall, no boom and no affected midrange.. controlled, tuneful and agile bass? yes + wide stereo image, excellent clarity and balanced, smooth sound.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
with every post you want to definitely buy something else *biggrin*

recommended genelec/ sam is a way to go or avi dm10... dont listen avole as the guy did not heard the speakers. I have them right against the wall, no boom and no affected midrange.. controlled, tuneful and agile bass? yes + wide stereo image, excellent clarity and balanced, smooth sound.
*smile* yes i have become very indecisive. wife says it is taking over my life*biggrin*but i do know i have to buy speakers to suit room ;i wll do some reading on your choice of speakers(and everybody else,s) in the meantime i will carry on saving*smile*

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps hubby needs to be a little more decisive and lead by example then... Davedotco knows his stuff, you'd be foolish to dismiss him. Sadly I see you going in endless circles because it appears you either choose not to listen or simply can't hear sound advice that would probably cure your issues and finally give you and the Mrs some quality listening pleasure and final peace of mind.

Sell the existing eqipment and invest in some of the equipment Davedotco has recommended, if it's out of budget get as near to it as you can afford.

As much as I adore Mr Avole when he talks about DM10's (which I gather he still hasn't heard personally) he's talking utter b*llocks (although I'm sure he's still a lovely but misguided chap)

IPV description of the DM10's is bang on but sadly a litttle over budget.

Anyway, good luck with the continued box swapping, see you in post 600. ;-)

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
It's hard to research the active types. Good luck to you!
I am just curious, as I get told how good they are ,but I am a little confused , I was reading up on the avi dm5! It sounds a silly question, but does the c.d player just plug into the speaker,and what about the TV,ps4,blu ray etc,do all these just plug into the speaker!,

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
floyd droid62 said:
thewinelake. said:
I am just curious, as I get told how good they are ,but I am a little confused , I was reading up on the avi dm5! It sounds a silly question, but does the c.d player just plug into the speaker,and what about the TV,ps4,blu ray etc,do all these just plug into the speaker!,

With dm5 you need a pre amp

Dm10 you can use optical from cd

Dm5 could be a very good alternative to scm7s

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
floyd droid62 said:
thewinelake. said:

With dm5 you need a pre amp

Dm10 you can use optical from cd

Dm5 could be a very good alternative to scm7s

If you are buying the NR1506 then they will work on the pre-outs, easy.

They are however £700pr, if that is too much, there are cheaper options such as the excellent Equator D5 mentioned above.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So far, every class D amplifier I've heard, has made pianos sound all wrong - when compared to class A or A/B through the same speakers. It's gotten to the stage where I've given up on class D amplifiers. It's like how many times do you keep trying the same thing without success before giving up?

AVI DM5's have class D amplification.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
So far, every class D amplifier I've heard, has made pianos sound all wrong - when compared to class A or A/B through the same speakers. It's gotten to the stage where I've given up on class D amplifiers. It's like how many times do you keep trying the same thing without success before giving up?

AVI DM5's have class D amplification.
no class D ,in Elton john,s; House then*smile*

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
avole said:
The short answer is yes, they will boom, depending on their cabinet design. If they are rear- ported they shouldn't be placed near to a wall, and the same is true for front ported, but to a lesser extent. Infinite baffle speakers, which don't have any ports, are usually better closer to walls than other designs.

That's not necessarily always true. There are many rear-ported reflex designs that perform excellently against a wall* and even in corners. I own one such example of speakers that are designed to have optimum performance in such a position :) (No 'boom' at all.)

* in reality speaker cables (plus their connectors) and skirting boards - and even stands - means there is a gap of a few inches between the wall and the cabinet and this is enough if the cabinet is designed as such. Equally I have seen manufacturers of some sealed cabinet designs recommend at least half a metre gap to the wall and even more distance from corners.
about cabinet design. The vast majority of HiFi speakers are designed to be placed a few inches to a couple of feet away from the wall, but, I agree, there are some that are intended to be placed close like the Iotas. Again, cabinet design has a lot to do with it.

The real exceptions are the new wave of active DSP designs, such as the Phantoms, Xeos and some others, which can be tuned to theoretically any position in any room. Some amps - I only know of the Devialet ones, but there may be more - use DSP tuned to the speakers they drive. That sounds a good way to go, and probably explains why so many people rate their amps. However, relatively speaking, only a handful of speakers, most of them current models, are supported - list is here. http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/list .

Talking about Devialet, why not go the whole hog and try the Phantoms? They're available on 45 day trial, so you can return them if you don't like them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yep. The Epos' I just had was rear ported. Bass port tuning is low, below my room node. Result was I could put them right up against the wall.

In fact it was necessary in order to not get a mid-bass suck out.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
avole said:
chebby said:
avole said:
The short answer is yes, they will boom, depending on their cabinet design. If they are rear- ported they shouldn't be placed near to a wall, and the same is true for front ported, but to a lesser extent. Infinite baffle speakers, which don't have any ports, are usually better closer to walls than other designs.

That's not necessarily always true. There are many rear-ported reflex designs that perform excellently against a wall* and even in corners. I own one such example of speakers that are designed to have optimum performance in such a position :) (No 'boom' at all.)

* in reality speaker cables (plus their connectors) and skirting boards - and even stands - means there is a gap of a few inches between the wall and the cabinet and this is enough if the cabinet is designed as such. Equally I have seen manufacturers of some sealed cabinet designs recommend at least half a metre gap to the wall and even more distance from corners.
about cabinet design. The vast majority of HiFi speakers are designed to be placed a few inches to a couple of feet away from the wall, but, I agree, there are some that are intended to be placed close like the Iotas. Again, cabinet design has a lot to do with it.

The real exceptions are the new wave of active DSP designs, such as the Phantoms, Xeos and some others, which can be tuned to theoretically any position in any room. Some amps - I only know of the Devialet ones, but there may be more - use DSP tuned to the speakers they drive. That sounds a good way to go, and probably explains why so many people rate their amps. However, relatively speaking, only a handful of speakers, most of them current models, are supported - list is here. http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/list .

Talking about Devialet, why not go the whole hog and try the Phantoms? They're available on 45 day trial, so you can return them if you don't like them.

I love my Dev 200 for all the reasons you describe, but mostly for its sound quality. However, I really don't like the Phantoms much. To my ears (admittedly, I've only heard them in Devialet's showroom in Paris), they sounded a little flat and grey, albeit with big bass for their size. Again, some people love 'em and they may be worth a try.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Perhaps hubby needs to be a little more decisive and lead by example then... Davedotco knows his stuff, you'd be foolish to dismiss him. Sadly I see you going in endless circles because it appears you either choose not to listen or simply can't hear sound advice that would probably cure your issues and finally give you and the Mrs some quality listening pleasure and final peace of mind.

Sell the existing eqipment and invest in some of the equipment Davedotco has recommended, if it's out of budget get as near to it as you can afford.

As much as I adore Mr Avole when he talks about DM10's (which I gather he still hasn't heard personally) he's talking utter b*llocks (although I'm sure he's still a lovely but misguided chap)

IPV description of the DM10's is bang on but sadly a litttle over budget.

Anyway, good luck with the continued box swapping, see you in post 600. ;-)
on the contrary; i respect everybodys opinions,i have been reading up on all the speakers mentioned in these posts.but there are other variables to consider,for example do i like the way they look,a big factor for me & the wife, it is no use having a speaker that sounds great but looks cheap & nasty, lets be honest we all like showing off our great looking speakers;*yes3*(especially if they cost close to a £1000,) but i do respect other peoples views, and do a lot of research,especially on the active types! UPDATE;*smile* i would just like to point out,as i have said all along,i can play the biggest floorstanders ! in my room ; NO problem ! if i use BASS management, my expensive mistake was i thought i could play full range(pure direct) using small bookcase speakers,as i found out; i could not ,So i have a few choice,s!*smile* bass managerment ; active DSP speakers or room eq ( dual core anti-mode) but what suits my budget is a £300 AVR,and use bass managerment

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts