Excessive woofer movement when playing lp's medium loud and up

gasolin

I need a subsonic filter for my turntable, i noticed today an excessive amount of movement in the subsonic frequencys playing medium loud or if you will under 40hz, what is where my speakers limited are, at 40hz i don't hear any bass, touching my turntable makes it worse, the woofer moves more.

what is my best options ?

PRO-JECT PHONO BOX S2 does have a subsonic option (any cheaper option, ART USB Phono Plus PS does have a subsonic filter but does it sound good)

New amp, i have enough amps but non with a subsonic option,filter

Another option is a power amp BUT not an ordinary amp, i have considered a crown XLS 1002 that amp has a built in dsp so i can cut the bass i think i would do it at 35hz

I can play as loud as my amp+speakers alows me with not high pitched sound like when a mic is to close to a speaker

Short video about crown xls dsp

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwHOM9SRtMI

Longer video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZD2Pc_tHnE

It made a big difference re positioning the ground cable to my riaa but still not perfect since touching the pitch control has an effect on the movement of the woofer,bass, my nobsound record weight also dit help reduce vibrations going from my turntable into my speaker https://argonaudio.com/products/phono1-riaa-pre-amp?switch

Might have tro clean the ground cable, could it also be my amp?
Unsure as to whether you're amp is to blame. Have you tried disconnecting the earth wire from RIAA? You may have too many earths within your set-up. I cured my system be chopping the earth in the mains plug to my preamp
Without actually playing any music do you see woofers moving if you crank up the volume on your amp?

gasolin

not when i play and not when my turntable is on and the amp is set to the turntabel

I did try to turn the bass all the way up and increase the volume and at a high volume i do notice it starting to hum, when the bass goes into the turntabel,cartridge and into the speakers

Might try another amp later or tomorrow to hear if the built in phonostage makes a difference or it's just the turntable

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Is it low-frequency feedback, or is it very-low-frequency signals being picked up by the turntable?

Low-frequency feedback won't appear until you turn the volume up quite loud, and then you'll get a hummmmmmmm that gets louder and louder until you turn the volume down.

VLF signals won't always feed back, but you'll get to watch your woofers jump around from across the room.

A rumble filter will help with the latter.

Using a PA power amp with DSP just to implement a highpass filter will work, but it's another box in the system and I'd also have concerns about signal levels etc - PA equipment can usually operate at +22dBU (10v RMS), which is well outside of what you'll get from a typical HiFi setup. So, you'll have a risk of running the PA amp "down in the noise", particularly on the digital/analogue conversions.
If you've got a soldering iron, grab a couple of phono cables and put a 0.3uF cap in line. It only needs to be 10v rated, preferably a poly film or similar.
Assuming a 10kohm input impedance, a 0.3uF cap will give you a -3dB point in the low-50Hz range, with a 6dB/octave slope.
ie, at 26Hz it's at -9dB, 13Hz is -15dB, and 6.5Hz will be at -21dB.

Ideally, the filter would be steeper, but the very-low-frequency attenuation from this simple setup might well be enough for you while being really cheap to do.

Chris

gasolin

it's low frequency signal when i play, i can't hear it so it's really low hz

Tried to turn bass all the way up and play loud it started to get feedback where the bass goes back into the turntable and back in the speakers, like a mic close to a speaker

I even tried to have it running but without a record, nothing, on but not runing, nothing, theres nothing beside the usually weak hum and white noise when it's on and the volume is all the way up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts