European-tuned sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am browsing at Denon's website, comparing their amps and found that the amplifiers are tuned towards European sound. What is that mean?

I was thinking all manufacturers are trying to design their equipments to accurately reproduce the music, but this concept of European sound is new to me.

And with this European sound, do we also have something non European? (say, American-tuned sound?). Or is it just a marketing gimmick by Denon, as i think Europe esp UK has a relatively big 2-channel market, where in US, Home Theatre is more common. Thus claiming a European sound may sounds more appealing.

matthewpiano

This concept goes back quite some way. In the 90s many brands had products which were specifically UK tuned including Sony, Kenwood, Denon and Pioneer. Remember the Sony SS-176 Brooklands Edition floorstanders, or their swathe of UK tuned amps, for example?

Generally speaking it was an attempt to get closer to the sound of British hi-fi as opposed to the bright and brash end of the spectrum. Of course, there is always a marketing element to these things as well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that Yamaha AV amps for the UK, were tuned for British taste ...ie easier on the ears.

I could be wrong though!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I've seen loads of amps over the years that state: "UK tuned", or something on that description. Personally I don't associate amps with different regions of the world. They're either good or bad.

I think you may be right.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
"European" is just a catch word to bait us ignorant Americans and chauvinistic Europeans alike
smiley-tongue-out.gif

A

Anonymous

I think it is a marketing trick to believe that we Europeans have a different taste. Because within Europe we have different 'taste' of sound as well. What is true, that English Brands are known of their more laid back and warm sound. Thats why Denon and Pioneer used to have the UK tags on their amps. I have no idea, if they also met the requirements....

For example, I am Dutch and most audio audiofactories, like Sphinx, Van Medevoort, Array etc. are sounding 'fast' and neutral.

So, tuned for the European market, sounds like it is 'saver' to buy it. But of course, that is what they want to make you believe:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is a bit in this blog...

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/onkyo-keeping-the-features-race-and-sound-quality-in-harmony-0

... about two-thirds down (look for the photo with a Naim CDP) about Onkyo investigating the 'European sound' for a new range of amps.

I am not sure 'our correspondent' was impressed with the result though.

I have heard two similar amps from Yamaha (A-S700 and A-S500) where one was 'benchmarked' against a range of amps to compete well in Britain and the other one sounded far better (to me).

The 'tweaked' model (A-S500) did better in the WHF review and - presumably - sold more. The A-S700 (in my opinion) was smoother, more 'lush', and gave an impression of a big amp with lots of power in reserve and had a much bigger scale. (But despite my usual aversion to the 'smooth and lush' I actually preferred it to the A-S500 that sounded 'overreved' and harsh like a teenagers modified moped.)

I don't think this tweaking is a total con. Evidently they do try and tailor for a specific sound and it's not just a 'sticky label upgrade' (otherwise Marantz's Ken Ishiwata wouldn't have had much of a career in the last 30 years and amps like the Pioneer A-400 would never have happened), I just don't think it always succeeds.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Sound presentation preferences do seem to change, so it makes perfect sense for manufacturers to better tap into this constantly moving hifi market, by changing a few resistors in their products, to appeal to more punters.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
I am not sure 'our correspondent' was impressed with the result though.

I was fairly impressed with the overall sound, although – as I said – the engineers made it clear some final tuning was yet to be done. It was the effect of the Phase Matching Bass technology that left me somewhat cold.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha all have U.K spec tuning....I think what it means is that the product is tuned towards British tastes, maybe with higher quality components :? . I mean, like you don't sell bad wine to the French, you don't sell crap hi-fi to the British. I feel particularly that many people, including myself would rather buy a British hi-fi product (even if its made in China ;) than an Asian one even if the two are equally good. I guess its personal bias tbh but there are many fools like me in the market. So this is probably an attempt to reel in people like me. (but I'm not buying :hand:)

A

Anonymous

After reading the responses and giving it a thought, I think I agree with pp.

Its either a good or a bad amp with some difference in tastes. Cambridge Audio, a famous UK/Europe brand, also famous for its harsh treble for its entry level offerings. My NAD, also a European brand, famous for its laid-back presentation. So probably can't be generalised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts