EU ruling on faulty goods

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Can someone remind me how the consumer stands with regards to electronic goods failing just outside of warranty?

My sort of brother in law bought a Panasonic 42" plasma just over two years ago (only just over two years ago as well), it only had a 12 month warranty I believe and is now showing three vertical lines down the screen, one which is solid red, the others are solid green.

He's spoken to Panasonic and they've basically said tough, sent him a list of local authorised repairers who want 80 quid just to look at the set, regardless of whether they can even do anything.

I thought however that the EU had ruled that goods like this had to be good for 6 years, can anyone point me at a definitive answer?

matthewpiano

This is not Panasonic's responsibility, but that of the retailer. He needs to go back to the retailer he purchased the set from and explain his annoyance at the set failing so early in its life. I don't see that failure as being acceptable.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:This is not Panasonic's responsibility, but that of the retailer. He needs to go back to the retailer he purchased the set from and explain his annoyance at the set failing so early in its life. I don't see that failure as being acceptable.

You're quite right of course but if he had some hard rulings to back himself up with it would probably be a lot easier.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

Can someone remind me how the consumer stands with regards to electronic goods failing just outside of warranty?

My sort of brother in law bought a Panasonic 42" plasma just over two years ago (only just over two years ago as well), it only had a 12 month warranty I believe and is now showing three vertical lines down the screen, one which is solid red, the others are solid green.

He's spoken to Panasonic and they've basically said tough, sent him a list of local authorised repairers who want 80 quid just to look at the set, regardless of whether they can even do anything.

I thought however that the EU had ruled that goods like this had to be good for 6 years, can anyone point me at a definitive answer?

EU only gives you 2 years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jun/05/consumer-rights-returned-goods

You have a chance up to 6 years with the sale of good act.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Please remember that is the retailer who your sort of brother in law has a contract with, not Panasonic.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

there was a thread about these issues a few months ago , a good few pages of info there if anyone can find it , ive tried but cant , be warned , it may put you to sleep ...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill:the_lhc:Can someone remind me how the consumer stands with regards to electronic goods failing just outside of warranty?

EU only gives you 2 years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jun/05/consumer-rights-returned-goods

You have a chance up to 6 years with the sale of good act.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Ah, ok, well at least it's the UK Act that mentions 6 years, bit harder to ignore that one. Thanks, I'll pass this on.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I seem to remember it being about a telly. And there was someoe posting who appeared to really know the law. Hmmm.

A

Anonymous

The Sale of Goods Act will cover you for up to 6 years depending on how long it's reasonable to have expected the item to last. I would have said a Panasonic TV should last much longer than 2 years. But, at this stage, it would be down to yourselves to get an engineer to inspect the TV and say what caused the fault.

If the engineer said it's a faulty screen and it was always going to happen, then the retailer should repair or replace the TV free of charge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts