Ethernet cable for HDMI

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I am running cable into walls. I've heard that people have started to use high speed ethernet cable as a cheaper alternative to HDMI. Any experience or views?

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I've used this before and there are a lot of advantages:

- You can use it for much longer distances than HDMI

- It's much cheaper per meter than HDMI

- You can use it for another purpose later if you decide to rearrange your house (telephone, internet)

- It's (probably) more future-proof than HDMI

What distance are we talking about here? For short distances I would recommend a HDMI cable that can still be replaced if needed (behind a plasterboard wall or in a calbe tray). For longer distances you can use ethernet. I would use CAT7 cable.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
;) Sorry for delay. Thanks for response. I have 7 metres to cover in behind walls and ceiling. I've used cat 6a shielded else where. Does this fit the bill? What about adapters that take it from ethernet to HDMI?

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Sure, cat6a is more than enough for this purpose: most products even work over cat5. The reason I suggested cat7 is to be future-proof if you want to use it for 4K or 8K in the future.

The ones I used are these: http://www.marmitek.com/en/product-details/watch/av-over-cat5/megaview-80.php, but there are a lot of brands that make these products. Some also transmit IR back to the source, which can be useful if you want to use an IR remote control (eg http://www.hdconnectivity.com/extenders/hdmi-over-cat5-cat6-with-ir-extender.html).

Of course 7m isn't a very long distance: a good HDMI cable can easily do this distance. I also don't think over ethernet will be cheaper, if you count the cost of the adapters + the cat6 cable. You also make your installation more complex and add 2 potential points of failure. You will have to decide for yourself if the advantages are worth it...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts