erm expensive?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Possibly not the best use of cash if you have an Amstrad stack, but on a £10k CDP I would imagine it's money well spent.

Messiah

The thing for me is when you get up to the level of a £10k CD player you must really be getting some small improvements for your money. Diminishing returns and all that...

To say that this can

'Massively improves dynamics, detail and punch in high-end systems, massive improvements'
Massively - C'mon!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Why just high end systems? Surely a support will benefit those 'cheaper' products with less than perfect isolation than the higher end ones that should already be built and isolated better?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
The thing for me is when you get up to the level of a £10k CD player you must really be getting some small improvements for your money. Diminishing returns and all that...

To say that this can

'Massively improves dynamics, detail and punch in high-end systems, massive improvements'
Massively - C'mon!!

Have you tested it? Until you have, mock not
emotion-4.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Why just high end systems? Surely a support will benefit those 'cheaper' products with less than perfect isolation than the higher end ones that should already be built and isolated better?

Simply a factor of where the money is best allocated. If you can easily upgrade your CDP to a better model for £360 then upgrade. If you need to spend another £10k to upgrade your CDP then £360 on something like this has got to be money well spent.

A

Anonymous

The main issue with racks like the Starbase (& this is more about the rack design than the isolation platform) is that each shelf needs an isolation platform to rest your kit on. Fine if you feel there are useful benefits for a tt, cdp or pre-amp. The problem is when you need four shelves worth for monoblocs and then the rack becomes very expensive for very little point :/

A

Anonymous

is this just not the same as a £10 granite worktop slab, or is it like 36 times better !!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
reggaedave:is this just not the same as a £10 granite worktop slab, or is it like 36 times better !!!

It's never going to be 36x better is it, but a 5% improvement to some people is well worth it. If I got a 5% improvement, I'd buy one.

matthewpiano

Seems like a lot of money to me, and very hard to justify unless you have a system of at least the same level as JoelSim. I would think it would take some serious cash to improve that system with alternative components, and so this sort of item might make sense as a tweak (unless, like Joel, you already have a very nice rack).

Messiah

Clare Newsome:Messiah:

To say that this can

Massively - C'mon!!

emotion-4.gif

To be fair Clare, I have not tested it.

I have however bought a a couple of 5 star rated equipment racks over the years and to be honest I have not noticed much difference.

I have some of my equipment now located on granite plinths (well chopping boards...) and don't really notice any difference.

I have friends who have bought various equipment racks and you guessed it, not much, if any, difference.

So when I read that a support can make a 'massive' improvement to a player that like Dave says is already engineered to be great I find it a little hard to believe.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Seems like a lot of money to me, and very hard to justify unless you have a system of at least the same level as JoelSim. I would think it would take some serious cash to improve that system with alternative components, and so this sort of item might make sense as a tweak (unless, like Joel, you already have a very nice rack).

It certainly would, and I am accessoried up too. Struggling to find something worthwhile to upgrade (at minimal cost).

A

Anonymous

My Audiophile rack uses the 'cheaper' 'BASE' platforms. Still ridiculously expensive for what it is, but I like the look of it, it doesn't offend the other half and it's very solid/well made. I've never compared the isolation platforms with anything else so couldn't comment vs a granite block.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:Clare Newsome:Messiah:

To say that this can

Massively - C'mon!!

emotion-4.gif

To be fair Clare, I have not tested it.

I have however bought a a couple of 5 star rated equipment racks over the years and to be honest I have not noticed much difference.

I have some of my equipment now located on granite plinths (well chopping boards...) and don't really notice any difference.

I have friends who have bought various equipment racks and you guessed it, not much, if any, difference.

So when I read that a support can make a 'massive' improvement to a player that like Dave says is already engineered to be great I find it a little hard to believe.

You should try the hifiracks stuff Messiah, the first one was an absolute revelation (if you forgive the pun). The new one fits my new equipment and is equally as good as the old one (and better finished).

A

Anonymous

remember with money, everything is relative, If this product was say 30 pound you might think, yeah go on, but as its so much it cant be worth it ( to anyone normal, with a morgage, and bills, and a car, and kids ).

This is the kind of stuff on E-bay all the time, from hong kong or summat.

Might start buying granite chopping boards, sticking some fancy sticker on em and floggin them myself, oh and do the same with some powercords from the pound shop !!!!

lol

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
reggaedave:
remember with money, everything is relative, If this product was say 30 pound you might think, yeah go on, but as its so much it cant be worth it ( to anyone normal, with a morgage, and bills, and a car, and kids ).

This is the kind of stuff on E-bay all the time, from hong kong or summat.

Might start buying granite chopping boards, sticking some fancy sticker on em and floggin them myself, oh and do the same with some powercords from the pound shop !!!!

lol

But if you were really into music/hifi, and had just got one of Darling's over £25k bonuses, and had managed to 'avoid' the tax...

I went to a jewellery focus group last year for a relatively high-end jeweller that's a client of mine, the group were all wealthy individuals, some with their own businesses, some City types, some born into money, and they thought nothing of splashing £100k on a diamond.

Just last week said jeweller sold a Patek Phillipe watch for £800k. Not normal I know, and way beyond what I'm looking to pay for my next house, but to them £360 is chicken feed.

A

Anonymous

exactly, ill stick to my 10 pound granite chopping boards and save the other £260 pound(s), to put towards my gas bills! LOL

A

Anonymous

I'm all for people buying all kinds of stuff for their system if it makes them feel better. Especially if it doesn't cost them an arm or a leg. I for one am not one of those people, but that's not my point.

My beef is with reviews like this one that to me discredit this website and make me question the reviews of the stuff that I do care about. If you're going to make rather bold claims, while it's easily forseeable that these will raise an eyebrow or two, then by all means don't let that stop you from publishing the article, but do make sure it contains some solid reasoning. Using adjectives like "massive" twice doesn't exactly help.

For instance, I think it would help if a blind comparison with a granite chopping board or any other solid rock slab were included in this review. Just to be clear: I'm not saying that one will be better than the other, but I'm sure tons of people that read this review are wondering wheter this actually is better than any old cheap slab of rock. Why not address this question, rather than shouting that the difference is massive?

Messiah

JoelSim:
You should try the hifiracks stuff Messiah, the first one was an absolute revelation (if you forgive the pun). The new one fits my new equipment and is equally as good as the old one (and better finished).

Again, to be fair, when most of your listening is from this set up (obviously only 1 speaker pictured...)

4174743641_26b38034b3.jpg

Then there is little need for an expensive rack...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:exactly, ill stick to my 10 pound granite chopping boards and save the other £260 pound(s), to put towards my gas bills! LOL

I hope your gas meter is more accurate than your arithmetic.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:JoelSim:

Again, to be fair, when most of your listening is from this set up (obviously only 1 speaker pictured...)

Haha. That was superb Messiah.

How about a £360 slab for that iPod to sit on? (And another one for the remote control of course.)

Messiah

chebby:Messiah:JoelSim:

Haha. That was superb Messiah.

How about a £360 slab for that iPod to sit on? (And another one for the remote control of course.)

And there was me stuck for ideas for what the Wife could get me for Christmas! Problem solved
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts