Epos es14, what amplifier?

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello
I have today purchased a beautiful condition set of epos es14's.
I'm looking at buying a Sansui au517, completely restored - recapped, bias set etc.
Also on a Denon PMA 1560 - Recapped, bias set etc.

Same guy that has restored them.

My question is what amplifier would you was the better amp?
Sansui is true dual mono - but not so many watts
Denon has a lot of power at 150W into 8 ohm

Please give me your recommendations :)

Of course a photo of my new epos :D
215782519_498241371472623_7980888737391958820_n.jpg

prince albert

May 7, 2020
Visit site
Epos where designed by Robin Marshall there are a couple of variants bi wired or single wired some had bullet cone some didn't i had a few of the above many years ago linn sondek lp 12 using a naim pre power
so the answer would be NAIM ,CREEK AUDIOLAB, amplifers
EPOS 14 WERE VOICED USING A NAIM 250

insider9

I've heard these through Naim XS 😍 You can't go wrong with either of the amps you mention. Sansui would be the one I'd be more drawn to but condition would be the determining factor. If you can find a Sony TA-F444ESX or better TA-F555ESX then you can get yourself an amp for a lifetime and that will drive any speakers. Sansui will be fine for most.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
That's a blast from the past!
I bought a pair of black ES14s with stands new in the early 90s. Great speakers!
Eventually I partied a little too hard with them and blew a driver that I wasn't able to get repaired.
As I recall, I think I initially drove them with a Mission Cyrus two integrated amp with psx power supply.
I took a big step up with my amplification around that time and got a great deal on a second hand Audio Research SP9 pre and Musical Fidelity P270 power amp. The speakers sung in this set up.
I remember them being a great pair of speakers and they form fond memories of my hifi life.
It's great to see a reconditioned pair doing the business again!

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a pair of Epos ES14s in the late 1980s bought from what used to be Radford HiFi in Bristol. Until I was burgled...they managed to take one speaker (they are fairly heavy), before my neighbour disturbed them and called the police. Bastards (not my neighbours). I had Sky TV installed a few months prior and I suspect the slightly dodgy installer told some of his even dodgier mates of easy pickings...

Norwich Union (Now Aviva) refused to pay up fully on insurance...they only took 1 speaker! More Bastards.

Used the single speaker for a while as a mono speaker at work - surprisingly effective.

My ES14s were driven by an old Arcam Alpha 2 amp. They sounded bleeding gorgeous. I did try with Naim amp but found the combination too 'in your face' for me, as well as being financially out of my league at the time..

I upgraded to ES22s, which are still (all these years later) a mighty revealing speaker, particularly in the mid-range.

The Creek-era Epos speakers were OK but probably not much more than that, and just not that well supported through dealers. Supposedly Epos is being reborn over in Germany but I fear a once great marque just turned into a brand with a badge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts