Entry Level Record Player - Advice If Possible Please?

sianyboots

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I wonder if anyone could please give a record player dumbo some wisdom!

I'm looking to buy a record player for my boyfriend who has made comments about wanting to get into vinyl for some time now. He already has an amp (although has made noises about wanting to replace this) and speakers which I believe he is happy with.

If at all possible I'm looking to spend up to about £150 max, so obviously something a bit budget but good enough for someone who's still technical minded. I've seen the Pro-Ject Elemental (although was slightly concerned if lack of lid would be an issue?) and also had my eye on the Denon DP-200 but I don't necessarily think that the mp3 making facility would be a big necessity for him.

If anyone had any recommendations, I'd be hugely grateful - thank you!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
about £60, you can go for the Project Essential 2 which does come with a lid as standard or if you prefer the Elemental there is a lid available as a separate option for about £80.

Having owned two different Project turntables over the last 10 years without any problems, I have no hesitation in recommending them.

*music2*

sianyboots said:
Hello!

I'm looking to buy a record player for my boyfriend who has made comments about wanting to get into vinyl for some time now. He already has an amp (although has made noises about wanting to replace this) and speakers which I believe he is happy with.

If at all possible I'm looking to spend up to about £150 max, so obviously something a bit budget but good enough for someone who's still technical minded. I've seen the Pro-Ject Elemental (although was slightly concerned if lack of lid would be an issue?) and also had my eye on the Denon DP-200 but I don't necessarily think that the mp3 making facility would be a big necessity for him.

I'm afraid that to get a half decent turntable with a lid and without USB facility you're going to have to go up to around £200 and look for Project Essential 2 or Rega RP1.

You don't say what amp he has but it has to have an phono stage built-in if he's going to attach turntable.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
... I'd check out eBay for Technics SL-7 (could get close to your budget or even higher if in mint condition) or Tecnichs SL-DL1 (I bought two of these at this time last year. I got one for £20 and one for £50).

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I made no such assumption since it wasn't stated. :)

For £150 one could probably pick up three SL-DL1s if cannibalisation is needed. The most common problem with them is the tonearm belt which may have lost it's flexibilty through lack use. It's very easy to source replacements and not difficult to replace them.

ifor said:
I made no such assumption since it wasn't stated. :)

For £150 one could probably pick up three SL-DL1s if cannibalisation is needed. The most common problem with them is the tonearm belt which may have lost it's flexibilty through lack use. It's very easy to source replacements and not difficult to replace them.

I made the assumption based on the fact the only two she mentions are current models and if she is a dumbo buying for her boyfriend then she wouldn't risk second-hand. I know I wouldn't if I was buying something I knew nothing about for my wife. I value my marriage more than that :)

I concede your suggestions are sound if you know what you're getting into and can budget in for a new cartridge.

sianyboots said:
Hello!

Having read your initial post, can I suggest a really boring solution? As he has made "noises" about possibly changing the amp, could you not trot along with him to Richer Sounds or other retailers (with your money) and choose... he can add to your budget should the need arise.

As Al said, the amp will need a built-in phono stage, otherwise buying a seperate (external) phono stage will need additional funds.

plastic penguin said:
sianyboots said:
Hello!

Having read your initial post, can I suggest a really boring solution? As he has made "noises" about possibly changing the amp, could you not trot along with him to Richer Sounds or other retailers (with your money) and choose... he can add to your budget should the need arise.

As Al said, the amp will need a built-in phono stage, otherwise buying a seperate (external) phono stage will need additional funds.

I'd second PP's boring solution. :)

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
If you want to avoid buying a new amp there is a Pro-Ject Essential II Phono USB (the one with the built in phono amp) on the Henley eBay channel, it's at £130 with a couple of hours to run. Item 252208745339.

josbd

Dec 19, 2005
Visit site
I would go for the easier scenario, too. Richer Sounds would be able to sort out a reasonable starter package at a decent price. It seems your chap thinks that an amp is necessary, so it would be worth a listen to the Cambridge Audio Topaz which is just under £80 and a decent little amp; however it does not have a dedicated phono stage. I am sure Richers can advise on that one. They carry the Pro-ject Elemental tt for £159, too.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS