PD64

Oct 1, 2024
Visit site
I'm thinking about replacing my old EMF Sequel amplifier with a Cambridge Audio CXA61 or something similarly more modern.

I would like to know whether the expense would be justified by an improvement in sound quality or is more about the added functionality, e.g. Bluetooth?

I'll be using a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 network streamer and a pair of B&W 686 S2 speakers.

Thanks

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi PD 64, wellcome to the forum.

I think your EMF Sequel was in the past very good amp. It was amp from the pen of Michael Creek. It is not so easy to replace so good amp. There are several good value amps to look at: Cambridge Audio CXA 61 mentioned by you or his bigger brother 81 mk1 or mk2 (more resolute sounding), Rega Brio last version with its highly musical sound full of verve and life (which are good for speakers like you have) or Arcam Radia A5 with very good Dac and robust construction. This generation of Arcam amps is a big step ahead from its older predecessors. All three amps will suit well to B&W speakers, Rega is only analog amp, rest two combine both good dacs. I recommend that you may take your Sequel amp to the hifi shop and compare it on same speakers with new amp. Or take a loan - one those three amps and try at home and decide by your ears. BR. PS: it can also happen that after trial you will stay with your EMF Sequel amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts