ECI 5 MK II AMP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Matt..have'nt heard the Devialet. How do you compare it with MF AMS 35i with a decent source,room acoustics,cabling etc..?

Hi Iceman,

I haven't heard them side by side. I lived with the AMS35i for a week in the summer, and I've heard both amps with the same speakers (Harbeth SHL5s, PMC Fact 8s, B&W 804s) and good sources (e.g. CDPs from Audio Research and Copland). From memory, I'd say the sound profile is very similar indeed. My feeling is that the MF has (or sounds as though it has) a slight "smile" to its frequency curve, whereas the Devialet's is as flat as Norfolk. I also think the Devialet has a lower noise floor. But the differences are, I think, very small.

I'd have been extremely happy with the MF, but the Devialet 170 is slightly better value (thanks to its oustanding built-in DAC), has a far better remote control, isn't rock ugly, and incorporates all sorts of wizardry for room correction etc. I run mine from a cheapo (£150) NAS drive via USB, which, as far as I can tell, sounds as good as the CD transports I've heard. Devialet really is a game-changer.

Cheers,

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
iceman16 said:
Matt..have'nt heard the Devialet. How do you compare it with MF AMS 35i with a decent source,room acoustics,cabling etc..?

I haven't heard them side by side. I lived with the AMS35i for a week in the summer, and I've heard both amps with the same speakers (Harbeth SHL5s, PMC Fact 8s, B&W 804s) and good sources (e.g. CDPs from Audio Research and Copland). From memory, I'd say the sound profile is very similar indeed. My feeling is that the MF has (or sounds as though it has) a slight "smile" to its frequency curve, whereas the Devialet's is as flat as Norfolk. I also think the Devialet has a lower noise floor. But the differences are, I think, very small.

I'd have been extremely happy with the MF, but the Devialet 170 is slightly better value (thanks to its oustanding built-in DAC), has a far better remote control, isn't rock ugly, and incorporates all sorts of wizardry for room correction etc. I run mine from a cheapo (£150) NAS drive via USB, which, as far as I can tell, sounds as good as the CD transports I've heard. Devialet really is a game-changer.

If I'd heard anything that gave the AMS35i a run for its money, that didn't have the drawbacks (weight / remote / power consumption / heat).....I would have bought it. It's a great pity the Devialet wasn't an option. It really sounds like a game-changer, which doesn't happen very often. In your case, it saw off some seriously good competition.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
jajajaja yes. I have read about this AMP and I think it is very intersting but unfortunately not to get in Chile!!! wath about the Accuphase E-560 also Class A?

Singslinger is the man to comment on the E560, but all I can say if it combines that Class A beauty to the clarity and dynamics of their A/B range, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least take a listen... O! and it doesn't run that hot.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

iceman16

:)
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
iceman16 said:

If I'd heard anything that gave the AMS35i a run for its money, that didn't have the drawbacks (weight / remote / power consumption / heat).....I would have bought it. It's a great pity the Devialet wasn't an option. It really sounds like a game-changer, which doesn't happen very often. In your case, it saw off some seriously good competition.

It has'nt born yet for the money..:)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ebentjerodt said:
Cno, I thing it is a very tight fight. The Electro has more power and dinamics. More detail and clarity and wider Sounstage but the Ayon is more intimate and has a so nice density and naturality. I realy like the Electro but I do not think I will change it for the Ayon after today sesion. I want to have both, dinamics and detail but keep the density and intimate of the Ayon. is something like taht to get?? :?

Musical Fidelity AMS 35i. :shifty:

Hi Cno - I recently asked my local MF dealer about the AMS 35i and he thinks it may soon be discontinued. If so, then you've got a real collectors' item on your hands Hang on to it (though I'm guessing I don't need to tell you that!)

As for the Accuphase E-560, it is rated at just 30W into 8 ohms, so I'm not sure whether it would suitable for the Sonus Fabers. I used it with my ProAc K6 speakers, which are rated at a sensitvity of 90 dB/W/m and it worked very well. Are the SF's equally sensitive?

As for the sound, I'd describe it as full-bodied, very rhythmic and pacey; not necessarily warm or tube-like (if tubes are supposed to sound warm). Very musical, with plenty of detail.

It doesn't run very hot but does get quite warm and offers the additional benefit of tone controls, which to me are an absolute must because I can cut off bass boom in my room without having to stick all sorts of sound absorbent materials on the walls or ceiling.

Good luck!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Only you can judge which amp will suit your taste best but the Electrocompaniet Eci5 mk2 will certainly drive the Cremonas easily and will sound extremely powerful , detailed and dynamic combining exceptional transient power with the crystal clear mid / top and the sense of 'being there' that Electrocompaniet is famous for .

I have not heard the other amps you list so I can't really comment on how they perform .

How does the EC1-3 compare with the 1-5?

They Eci3 and Eci5 mk1 sound very similar but the more powerful Eci5 has more of everything especially the ability to preserve transient detail at higher volume levels with very complex and dynamic music and an increase from 60 to 80amps of peak current delivery with a bigger power supply .

The Eci5 MK2 is equally capable but has been extensively modified mainly to make it more HT friendly ,it sounds a litte more forward and has lost a little of the 'class A' sound, for want of a better description .

Electro said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Only you can judge which amp will suit your taste best but the Electrocompaniet Eci5 mk2 will certainly drive the Cremonas easily and will sound extremely powerful , detailed and dynamic combining exceptional transient power with the crystal clear mid / top and the sense of 'being there' that Electrocompaniet is famous for .

I have not heard the other amps you list so I can't really comment on how they perform .

How does the EC1-3 compare with the 1-5?

They Eci3 and Eci5 mk1 sound very similar but the more powerful Eci5 has more of everything especially the ability to preserve transient detail at higher volume levels with very complex and dynamic music and an increase from 60 to 80amps of peak current delivery with a bigger power supply .

The Eci5 MK2 is equally capable but has been extensively modified mainly to make it more HT friendly ,it sounds a litte more forward and has lost a little of the 'class A' sound, for want of a better description .

Thanks Electro. Something for me to bear in mind should the need arise. :)

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
arraived very late from Huntig. Conected the Devialet Premier and listen to 5 traks. first impresion is that this amp is from another planet.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
arraived very late from Huntig. Conected the Devialet Premier and listen to 5 traks. first impresion is that this amp is from another planet.

It had better be, at US$16,000 or 11,000 quid!

Glad you're enjoying it!

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Matt,

battle has come to an end!

final round was between the Devialet and the KR Audio.

The devialet is far away the most awesome audio piece I have seen. It is perfect in almost every point. Is the most innovative and exiting to use amp I ever had the possibility to use. Sound is also incredible. Clean, fast, open, powerful but never clinical or cold. Just amayzing but there was one point in that the KR Audio was better for me, and this is probably the most important point to me and is the capacity to excite. No other amp I have heard before has had the capacity to touch me like the Kr Audio does. So this is staying at home. Nevertheless I have the suspicion that a Devialet will also join the family in the future. :roll:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Mmm, very interesting.

I've heard other people say that, whilst they recognise the Devialet's amazing transparency and power, they find other amps more "musical". In the end, it's what excites and moves you that matters. Without emotion, music would be pretty dull.

It sounds like you've had a great couple of days, and you can be confident that the KR Audio has passed the sternest of tests.

:cheers:

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
I've heard other people say that, whilst they recognise the Devialet's amazing transparency and power, they find other amps more "musical". In the end, it's what excites and moves you that matters. Without emotion, music would be pretty dull.

That's why matching it with speakers like SF and Harbeth works so well.

ebentjerodt said:
Hi Matt,

battle has come to an end!

final round was between the Devialet and the KR Audio.

The devialet is far away the most awesome audio piece I have seen. It is perfect in almost every point. Is the most innovative and exiting to use amp I ever had the possibility to use. Sound is also incredible. Clean, fast, open, powerful but never clinical or cold. Just amayzing but there was one point in that the KR Audio was better for me, and this is probably the most important point to me and is the capacity to excite. No other amp I have heard before has had the capacity to touch me like the Kr Audio does. So this is staying at home. Nevertheless I have the suspicion that a Devialet will also join the family in the future. :roll:

Please forgive me for asking but if you have the money for the Dev (£12,000), why even think about a £2700 Electro?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
I was courious about the Electro. I got an offer for a demo Devialet for about USD 9.000 wich was still "affordable"

I have found that spending more, does not necessarily guarantee more enjoyment.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
PP,

I owned the Gryphon Diablo and have heard the Accuphase A65/2810, Chord 3350 amoung others.. I must admit I really like the Devialet. To my hears sound very clean, detailed, fast ,opne but I do not feel it cold or to analitical. I still have it wiht me and still making comparatiosn wiht the KR Audio and the devialet still sound warm to me. I have the Cremonas M wich also help to get this warm and sweetnes. I am not sure to get the same results wiht ATC or PMC.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
I owned the Gryphon Diablo and have heard the Accuphase A65/2810, Chord 3350 amoung others.. I must admit I really like the Devialet. To my hears sound very clean, detailed, fast ,opne but I do not feel it cold or to analitical. I still have it wiht me and still making comparatiosn wiht the KR Audio and the devialet still sound warm to me. I have the Cremonas M wich also help to get this warm and sweetnes. I am not sure to get the same results wiht ATC or PMC.

If it's not too much torture, can you list the amps that you've heard in order of preference, with a note as to why (as you've heard some gooduns)?

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts