Echo effect watching Tron Legacy & Grown Ups on BluRay Through Denon Receiver

geraldjd

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I recently bought Grown Ups on BluRay and had an unusual problem with the sound, especially the dialogue echoing after about 5-10 minutes playing, gradually getting worse until it was unwatchable. At first I put it down to being a faulty disk so exchanged it but the new one was exactly the same.

I am using a Panasonic DMP-BD35 and Denon AVR-1909, the BluRay has latest firmware and a 2GB memory card added, receiver firmware can't be updated. The sound is in DTS HD Master.

The best way to describe it was as if you were using Stadium or Arena surround modes.

The only way I could get rid of the echo was to pause the film, at which point the sound would be perfect again but the echo would return 5-10 minutes later.

I tried it on my friend setup of Sony PS3 and Denon AVR-1910 and he had exactly the same problem, as no other discs were affected we assumed it was just a badly encoded disc.

That was until the weekend when I bought Tron Legacy and am getting the same problem with that, I've been in contact with Denon who are completely stumped saying they have not had this problem reported to them before. Between us we have watched 150+ BluRays and so far it is only these 2 that have had this problem.

Just wondered if anybody else had experienced it or better still has a cure for it.

Cheers

Gerald.

michael hoy

Hi,

I used to have a 1909 and never came across this, recently watched Tron and had no issues with the Pioneer.

I will take my Tron disc to a friend who has a 1909 and see if it happens on his, he also has a panasonic BP.

geraldjd

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Michael, it has to be 5-10 minutes of continuous play, no fast forward/rewind or pauses.

I found you started to notice it just after the disc games when Clu was talking to the chief henchman (Can't remember his name) asking Sam to identify himself and gradually got worse from there.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed this on many films, but what I find is that my system is revealing dialogue dubbing. The dialogue in most movies is recorded after the film has been shot, with the actors in a recording studio re-recording their lines. Most dubbing is done very well, but sometimes you finds that some studios must have rooms that aren't fully deadened, and can echo slightly, and it sounds like they're talking in a room rather than out in a field or on a city street. If I remember rightly, Spliced was pretty bad in this respect - it was as though the actors were actually somewhere else, not where they actually were.

Of course, you may have some issue with the system. But I can't understand why it would happen after 5-10 mins. This might be consistent with your system warming up.

Coincidentally, I've got Grown Ups to watch over the weekend courtesy of LoveFilm, so I'll let you know how I get on.

geraldjd

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Very strange, I've spent the last few days trying to find out what is wrong, so far tried using different HDMI leads, using different hdmi port on the amp and the TV but still getting the same effect.

Just to confirm I'm using a Panasonic DMP-BD35 connected by HDMI to Denon AVR-1909 connected by HDMI to Samsung LCD TV. All HDMI cables are from ThatCable.com

BluRay has latest firmware (although it is 12 months old), a 2GB Sandisk extreme memory card added and is set to output everything in bitstream, secondary audio is turned off and compression/remaster is turned off.

Amp is set to input HDMI 2, auto for audio, I do use Audyssey multi eq but have already tried it with Audyssey turned off and manual eq.

Tried turning off all sound processing on the amp and BluRay and even done a full system reset on the amp but so far nothing has gotten rid of it.

One last thing I would like to try if you don't mind David, could I send you my Grown Ups BluRay to try on your system just to see if it is actually the disk that is causing the problem.

Apart from that I do not know what to do, I want to try and get to the bottom of it as even though it is only these 2 disks causing the problem I'm worried there will be more in the future.

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
Daft thought, but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless as I've had this happen before - have you checked the volume on the telly itself? I was getting all sorts of echoey things going on and found that the kiddies or wifey had turned the volume up on the telly rather than the AV amp, so I was getting a slightly mistimed echoey sound when both were going at the same time. Sounded bloomin awful!

Know it's a but silly, but need to cover all bases...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts