Earthing

smarkgee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a; PC, DAC, pre-amp and power amp.

Only the pre-amp has one of those funny earth screw/nut things on the back.

none are earthed and I have amp tripping/noise problems.

how do i earth them and do i earth them all please.

I would assume:

1. connect to a true earth eg mains water in.

2. connect in serial using some sort of crocodile clip to main chassis (where buy???)

3. any old thickness copper would do

4. copper should be sheathed

any help much apprecaited!!

best

mark

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi smarkgee when you say your amp is tripping do you mean the house electrics ie the main RCD or the speakers are tripping ? if its the speakers

check the speaker cables at the amp and the speakers to make sure that you dont have any stray cables shorting out

if its the house electrics check your plugs please unplug everything before checking as electric shocks at the least are not nice at worst are deadley I say this as some people do not know this not for any other reason good luck

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm struggling with dodgy electrics right now too where my RCD keeps tripping out. Turns out to be a power cable in the wall is damaged - as a result it only delivers 50 volts to the socket instead of 240. So when I use any more than a tiny amount of power it trips out. Expensive to fix though as I don't know exactly where the fault is!

:(

smarkgee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
hi guys

i have a separate thread for the many possible causes of my 'tripping' and investigations by sparkys. Let's leave that to one side.

I just want to investigate how to earth the various units.

I have an arcam 9 preamp and power amp. the earlier comment appears right about the PHONO OPTION..that is where the earth bolt is. I don't have the phono option and so the inputs are not there but, as i say, the earth thing is there.

How do i earth the units and do i earth them all please. Is this right?:

1. connect to a true earth eg mains water in.

2. connect in serial using some sort of crocodile clip to main chassis (where buy???)

3. any old thickness copper would do

4. copper should be sheathed

abacus

Unless the instructions tell you to run a separate earth, or to link them together, don’t.

A lot of equipment these days doesn’t need earthling (Hence only 2 core cables feeds them) due to the way they are designed.

Hope this helps

Bill

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I'm struggling with dodgy electrics right now too where my RCD keeps tripping out. Turns out to be a power cable in the wall is damaged - as a result it only delivers 50 volts to the socket instead of 240. So when I use any more than a tiny amount of power it trips out. Expensive to fix though as I don't know exactly where the fault is!

:(

Not a sparky tho there are some here. 50v from 240v aint possible.
Someone will confirm or be more knowledgible

abacus

The higher the resistance of the cable the more the voltage will drop over the length, as he has a faulty cable it is quite possible that he is only getting 50V out, however it should not be used under any circumstances until repaired.

Hope this helps

Bill

smarkgee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
hi guys thanks for the replies.

I'm not asking for advice about ring mains or other stuff.

I'll clarify. It is for EMC/RFI shielding. so i want to attach earths as outlined - I'm just not sure exactly how to do it. It's the HOW TO that I need the answer on not the WHY DO!!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi wilro15 Before investigating this electrical fault turn off the electrics .once you have done this check that the power is off at all the other sockets in the room first remove the socket front to check thar the screws which hold the cables in place are tight my Sons fridge freezer stopped working on sunday and it was due to very loose screws on the electrical terminals once you are sure that they are tight carry out a visual inspection look up the wall across the wall and down the wall to see if any screws have been put in that might have damagsd the cables if you use the width of the socket as a guide and as I say look up down across the wall in strait lines if some one has put a screw nail etc through a cable you shoul see it also cables can be run 150mm from the corners of the room and 150mm from the ceiling so if you have had any new cables ( SPEAKER/ AIREL ETC PUT THROUGH walls this may be the problem I hope this helps but please be carefull I am a sparky and have seen your problem loads of times if the problem is a screwed/nailed cable call in a sparky .you may even have a problem on an nother socket on your ring main that is causing your problem it could be a loose connection in your trip board but thinking about it you proberbly have a damaged cable if you dont live to far away from Norwich Norfolk I might be able to have a quick look for you

abacus

You just need one earth to the main unit and then loop the earth to each other unit.

Be aware that connecting earths to equipment not designed for it may cause an earth loop thus causing a hum and increasing the chances of picking up emi/rfi interference.

My advice, don’t bother.

Hope this helps

Bill

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
An irrelevance maybe abacus but (a) what cable damage would increase its resistance and (b) the voltage will remain 240v but the current reduced with higher resistance I believe

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Until the OP explains concisely what is wrong, what he wants to do and why, no useful assistance could be given.

50V is entirely possible on mains wiring, but would be more likely on the earthing circuit that did not correctly terminate at earth, or in conjunction with a neutral fault. The greater the continuous length of earth wiring not grounded, the greater the potential for higher voltages being induced.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
Until the OP explains concisely what is wrong, what he wants to do and why, no useful assistance could be given.

50V is entirely possible on mains wiring, but would be more likely on the earthing circuit that did not correctly terminate at earth, or in conjunction with a neutral fault. The greater the continuous length of earth wiring not grounded, the greater the potential for higher voltages being induced.

+1 seen this before it is possible

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Induced current into an earth wire I understand tho the post states that 50v are delivered to the socket. I am sorry the op has been side lined tho. Woops, maybe he could repost with clearer information.
Shocking subject anyway. How on earth could u live with only 50v?

A

Anonymous

Nothing needs earthing unless you have a turntable and some of those don't need earthing.

Sort your electrics out first unless you want to go out with a bang or nice electrical fire. Up to you

tho

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Could you please tell us where you live because I would like to avoid the fire! If you have a socket that's producing 50 volts the other 200 votls are across some other load and that's going to get hot! Even if you are only drawing 5 amps that's a 1KW electric fire! If the load is a wire in your wall your house is going to catch fire.

I suggest your hifi problems will be irrelevant if you are dead in a fire! Run don't walk to the nearest electrician!

Chris

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
smarkgee said:

I'll clarify. It is for EMC/RFI shielding. so i want to attach earths as outlined - I'm just not sure exactly how to do it. It's the HOW TO that I need the answer on not the WHY DO!!

People are trying to tell you that you don't need to "extra" earth your appliances.

If they need earthing they will be already earthed via the mains supply earth which will be connected to the chassis internally. This is to prevent the chassis getting "live" and electrocuting you if you touch it.

AFAIK earthing and shielding for RF/EMI are two different and totally separate things.

I think you are getting worked up about a non issue.

abacus

RobinKidderminster said:
An irrelevance maybe abacus but (a) what cable damage would increase its resistance and (b) the voltage will remain 240v but the current reduced with higher resistance I believe

As an electrical engineer for over 35 years working in domestic, commercial and industrial environments (Which has included electronics and computers) I can assure you that 50V is possible from a faulty cable.

Hope this helps

Bill

abacus

pauln said:
smarkgee said:

People are trying to tell you that you don't need to "extra" earth your appliances.

If they need earthing they will be already earthed via the mains supply earth which will be connected to the chassis internally. This is to prevent the chassis getting "live" and electrocuting you if you touch it.

AFAIK earthing and shielding for RF/EMI are two different and totally separate things.

I think you are getting worked up about a non issue.

You are technically correct, however the general public equate earth cabling and grounding (And shielding) as one and the same (There not) and thus I try and steer clear of complexity’s as much as possible. (Hence I combined emi/rfi interference with earthling/grounding)

Hope this clears up the confusion

Bill

TRENDING THREADS