Dynaudio DM 26 VS 27 ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
We'll all have our ways of determining whether a speaker is bright or not, and that'll be based on our tastes. Someone who is losing the top end of their hearing range may prefer a brighter speaker, other people might just prefer that type of sound. Even if everyone's hearing was exactly the same, we'd all still have personal preferences.

Do you find your receiver to be bright? Neither do I, but some people seem to, for whatever reason! :)

While sound preference may be a matter of opinion, neutrality is not. Even if I will lose the top end of my hearing range some 20-30 years later, by that time I will still consider the GS10s or GS20s very bright as they will still sound brighter than the original sound I will hear in reality 20-30 years later. True, I will probably prefer the GS20s by then because the brightness will compensate my loss of the top end, but that will not make them neutral sounding like the original sound I will be hearing in reality. The hearing ability of anyone at a given age is pretty constant, yet the speakers are the variable.

Speakers sound brighter than the original sound are bright speakers, and speakers sound warmer than the original one are warm. It has nothing to do with the difference in our hearing ability or personal preferences. You have very rights to prefer the GS10s to the Dynaudios as it is a matter of personal taste, but I need to point out that the sound of the GS10s are really much brighter than the original sound.

I know Alex is a great guy and you are a good seller, but I just expect some more objective comments from you - it's my personal preference :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tigerstripe said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
We'll all have our ways of determining whether a speaker is bright or not, and that'll be based on our tastes. Someone who is losing the top end of their hearing range may prefer a brighter speaker, other people might just prefer that type of sound. Even if everyone's hearing was exactly the same, we'd all still have personal preferences.

Do you find your receiver to be bright? Neither do I, but some people seem to, for whatever reason! :)

While sound preference may be a matter of opinion, neutrality is not. Even if I will lose the top end of my hearing range some 20-30 years later, by that time I will still consider the GS10s or GS20s very bright as they will still sound brighter than the original sound I will hear in reality 20-30 years later. True, I will probably prefer the GS20s by then because the brightness will compensate my loss of the top end, but that will not make them neutral sounding like the original sound I will be hearing in reality. The hearing ability of anyone at a given age is pretty constant, yet the speakers are the variable.

Speakers sound brighter than the original sound are bright speakers, and speakers sound warmer than the original one are warm. It has nothing to do with the difference in our hearing ability or personal preferences. You have very rights to prefer the GS10s to the Dynaudios as it is a matter of personal taste, but I need to point out that the sound of the GS10s are really much brighter than the original sound.

I know Alex is a great guy and you are a good seller, but I just expect some more objective comments from you - it's my personal preference :)

The problem is determining what the original recording sounded like..which then gives rise to arguements.

Also, neutral and natural can often get muddled.....give me natural every time (eg. Sonus Faber/Spendor vs ATC/Focal)

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks CnoEvil. I didn't intend it as a pop or anything, just another way of looking at it - the joys of faceless conversations eh? :)

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I agree - rooms do play a large part in the overall sound. But some people are aware of room issues and some aren't, so in this case, either the OP isn't aware of his room issues (no disrespect intended), or his room doesn't pose many, if any, issues :)

Smiley faces all round, happy post :)

It would have been most unlike you, if you were....though you have no problem defending yourself if need be..which is as it should be. ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
tigerstripe said:
While sound preference may be a matter of opinion, neutrality is not.

I agree that a product can be designed as neutral, and designated neutral, but different people's ideas of neutral can differ. I've heard people describe Spendor S5e's as bright, and Mpnitor Audio as smooth. We're all different :)

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
tigerstripe said:
The problem is determining what the original recording sounded like..which then gives rise to arguements. Also, neutral and natural can often get muddled.....give me natural every time (eg. Sonus Faber/Spendor vs ATC/Focal) Cno

I do not see a problem here, as I bring 20-30 CDs to audition the speakers. One particular CD may be brighter than the original as a result of recording, but it is impossible that all 30 CDs are bright. Also after auditioning a dozen speakers, you can identify a pattern and know which CD are always brighter or warmer than the others. Again, they are constant values. A bright CD will not suddenly sound warm in bright speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tigerstripe said:
CnoEvil said:
tigerstripe said:
The problem is determining what the original recording sounded like..which then gives rise to arguements. Also, neutral and natural can often get muddled.....give me natural every time (eg. Sonus Faber/Spendor vs ATC/Focal) Cno

I do not see a problem here, as I bring 20-30 CDs to audition the speakers. One particular CD may be brighter than the original as a result of recording, but it is impossible that all 30 CDs are bright. Also after auditioning a dozen speakers, you can identify a pattern and know which CD are always brighter or warmer than the others. Again, they are constant values. A bright CD will not suddenly sound warm in bright speakers.

Take one bright CD and put it on two systems:

1. Cyrus CD + Cyrus pre + Cyrus Power Monoblocks + Focal Scala Utopia

2. Pathos Digit + Pathos Inpol + Kef Reference 207/2

Both will make the CD sound brighter than a well recorded one.

Which bright presentation is the one that was intended? It could be neither, as it might only sound right with DCS playing into ATC actives.

I think you would need to know what speakers were used in the mastering process (B&W,Kef,ATC,Genelic etc), and have a word with the engineer.

This is just my opinion and reasons for it....and.... it could easily be wrong. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts