Dynaudio DM 26 VS 27 ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just curious has anyone here had a chance to have a shoot-out with there two speakers.

The DM 26 won the award for 300 / 600 pounds speakers but the DM 27 was also priced at 600 so I cant understand why the much smaller DM 26 would win.

I know that alot of people say the Dali Lektor 1 is better than the Lektor 2 and I was thinking is this the case for the Dynaudio`s also. Does the smaller brother sound better in real tests ???

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The DM2/7's have a larger internal cabinet volume, which will help reach a little deeper. This will be helped by the 2/7's 6.5" bass driver, compared to the 5.5" bass driver of the 2/6. "It's only an inch" you may say, but it's surprising what an extra inch can achieve! It's all about moving air, and a larger bas driver moves more of it. Also, the bass driver of the DM2/7 is a Dynaudio MSP driver, which is lighter and more rigid than the bass driver of the DM2/6. Cheaper speakers sometimes win out purely on price. If a £300 speaker achieves 80% of it's bigger brother at £600, the cheaper one will be classed as a better buy, even if the bigger speaker is better.

Gaz19 said:
Just curious has anyone here had a chance to have a shoot-out with there two speakers.

The DM 26 won the award for 300 / 600 pounds speakers but the DM 27 was also priced at 600 so I cant understand why the much smaller DM 26 would win.

I know that alot of people say the Dali Lektor 1 is better than the Lektor 2 and I was thinking is this the case for the Dynaudio`s also. Does the smaller brother sound better in real tests ???

Hi Gaz19

I've compared the two and overall i prefer the DM 2/7's as the DM 2/7's offer even greater scale, depth, dynamics, detail, attack etc. If all things were equal then the DM 2/7's would also be chosen over the DM 2/6's everytime. Ultimately though a number of factors can sway the final decision. Such as -

Your amplifier and source component/s

What you generally listen to

The size of your room

Listening distance

Room acoustics

Room positioning of speakers (in relation to walls, anything in between or either side such as windows, chimney breast etc.)

Flooring (concrete, carpeted, wooden)

Your general listening level

The kind of presentation you would like the system to reproduce

etc.

Btw, are you looking to change your existing speakers to ones such as the DM 2/6's or DM 2/7's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Gaz19 said:

Hi Gaz19

I've compared the two and overall i prefer the DM 2/7's as the DM 2/7's offer even greater scale, depth, dynamics, detail, attack etc. If all things were equal then the DM 2/7's would also be chosen over the DM 2/6's everytime. Ultimately though a number of factors can sway the final decision. Such as -

The size of your room

Listening distance

Room acoustics

Room positioning of speakers (in relation to walls, anything in between or either side such as windows, chimney breast etc.)

etc.

Btw, are you looking to change your existing speakers to ones such as the DM 2/6's or DM 2/7's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I sold my old speakers which were the Lektor 2`s, so that I could upgrade. I loved the soft dome tweeter of the Lektor 2`s. The DM`s also has soft dome tweeters and are in the price range I aim for.

I was in hope that a couple of businesses would start to sell the DM 2 6 for cheaper that the current price but there is no change so far... Thanks for all reply`s, cheers

Gaz19 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Gaz19 said:

Hi Gaz19

The size of your room

Listening distance

Room acoustics

etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I sold my old speakers which were the Lektor 2`s, so that I could upgrade. I loved the soft dome tweeter of the Lektor 2`s. The DM`s also has soft dome tweeters and are in the price range I aim for.

I was in hope that a couple of businesses would start to sell the DM 2 6 for cheaper that the current price but there is no change so far... Thanks for all reply`s, cheers

Hi Gaz19

Thanks for your reply and your welcome.

Have you heard the DM 2/6's, any other DM Series model or Dynaudio speakers? If so, what were your impressions of the speakers?

Your amplifier and source component/s?

What do you generally listen to?

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, what are their preferences?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of speakers?

Room shape?

Will the speakers be used down the length of across thre room?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Will the speakers be stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Your general listening level?

Apart from HF what other qualities are you looking for in the DM 2/6's or another speaker to have?

Have you also considered any other brands of speakers?

What speaker cables will you use?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick, I have a Frankenstein system which is a Marantz CD6002, Rotel RA-04 SE as a pre amp, Cyrus 8 power, chord odyssey speaker cables and atlas equador interconnects.

It sounds super fast, like the opposite of chilled out. Its too late to go back now and I feel like I have to compliment this type of sound now. Although I have never heard the Dynaudios I know that when in a review they are said to be punchy and dynamic. It seems like a logical choice since punchy and dynamic is what I am after.

I am not a strong believer in the room importance, appart from the obvious effects of too little or too much space, but the room is a good size and is fairly empty

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you're after punchy and dynamic, you could look at a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42's, which I feel are better than the DM2/6's. Even better would be a pair of Audience 52's, which were my favourite - the larger bass driver really gives some extra authority. Another speaker worth trying would be the outgoing Monitor Audio GS10, which is usually a £925 loudspeaker, but is currently available around the £500 mark. Beautiful build quality, lovely and clean sounding, and clearly better than the DM2/6's or DM2/7's.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gaz19 said:
I am not a strong believer in the room importance, appart from the obvious effects of too little or too much space, but the room is a good size and is fairly empty

I have heard £150k worth of kit (DCS scarlatti + VTL pre/power + Focal speakers(£60k) sound "pants" in a hifi show, due to the acoustics of a hotel room (large areas of glass and laminate floors).

A similar (but less costly) type of system (£30k) in another room (DCS Debussy + MF AMS 35i + Focal speakers (£16k), sounded way better. They had treated this room with acoustic panels, and were using a balanced mains transformer.

Also, my own system transformed when I lifted the laminate floor and replaced it with a carpet and rug, as well as put up heavy curtains.

I only butted in because of the importance I place on "the room"....get it very wrong, and it can ruin the sound of any system.

Cno

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
If you're after punchy and dynamic, you could look at a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42's, which I feel are better than the DM2/6's. Even better would be a pair of Audience 52's, which were my favourite - the larger bass driver really gives some extra authority. Another speaker worth trying would be the outgoing Monitor Audio GS10, which is usually a £925 loudspeaker, but is currently available around the £500 mark. Beautiful build quality, lovely and clean sounding, and clearly better than the DM2/6's or DM2/7's.

What finish is the GS10 you have ?

A

Anonymous

sounds similar to my room, and having had MA br5s and rx6s (metal tweeter) and now dm2/7s (soft tweeter) i would never consider a speaker with a metal tweeter again in this room, not that i'll be changing mine anytime soon, they're fantastic :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Maybe the OP's room has very few issues, hence his belief?

You may well be correct..or there may be issues that he doesn't realise.

It is not my intention to be patronising or petty, but just to comment on the OP's general statement, that the room (any room) can not have a detrimental effect on the sound.

As a matter of interest, do you disagree with my general comment, or my intention, to at least put forward the suggestion that it should be a consideration.

Again, I stress that I'm not trying to start an arguement and generally find your input on here knowledgable and helpful (and mostly unbiased ;) )

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Maybe the OP's room has very few issues, hence his belief?

You may well be correct..or there may be issues that he doesn't realise. It is not my intention to be patronising or petty, but just to comment on the OP's general statement, that the room (any room) can not have a detrimental effect on the sound. As a matter of interest, do you disagree with my general comment, or my intention, to at least put forward the suggestion that it should be a consideration. Again, I stress that I'm not trying to start an arguement and generally find your input on here knowledgable and helpful (and mostly unbiased ;) )

Thanks CnoEvil. I didn't intend it as a pop or anything, just another way of looking at it - the joys of faceless conversations eh? :)

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I agree - rooms do play a large part in the overall sound. But some people are aware of room issues and some aren't, so in this case, either the OP isn't aware of his room issues (no disrespect intended), or his room doesn't pose many, if any, issues :)

Smiley faces all round, happy post :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Gaz19 said:
What finish is the GS10 you have ?

We have Natural Oak.

Im guessing that its ex demo or second hand for the 500 mark? Too risky if that is the case, I only buy brand new speakers that have full warranty since they are delicate.

Besides the GS10 are old now and should be on sale brand new if there are any left in circulation. After all their reviews are nothing to rave about sound wise !

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I agreed with you in general. But I found the GS10s and GS20s quite bright and forward sounding even though they were driven with warm amps. I prefer neutral sounding speakers like those from Dynaudio.

If the OP was impressed by Dynaudio, he may not like the GS10s although at £500 it is a great deal.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
tigerstripe said:
I agreed with you in general. But I found the GS10s and GS20s quite bright and forward sounding even though they were driven with warm amps. I prefer neutral sounding speakers like those from Dynaudio.

I find them detailed, but I wouldn't say bright. This is the main reason why people should audition what they can, as two people can completely disagree over the same speaker.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gaz19 said:
Im guessing that its ex demo or second hand for the 500 mark? Too risky if that is the case, I only buy brand new speakers that have full warranty since they are delicate.

Unofrtunately I can't say on here! I think I'll be moderated if I say much more :)

Besides the GS10 are old now and should be on sale brand new if there are any left in circulation. After all their reviews are nothing to rave about sound wise !

Many speakers in the past with mediocre reviews are still loved by many people. If a speaker suits someone, reviews are irrelevant.

A

Anonymous

Just discovered EB acustics EB1, does anyone know if these suckers have faults or reports of bad examples, as far as I can tell some dude makes them in his garage lol, but if they sound amazing then what the hell, why not...

Gaz19 said:
Thanks Rick, I have a Frankenstein system which is a Marantz CD6002, Rotel RA-04 SE as a pre amp, Cyrus 8 power, chord odyssey speaker cables and atlas equador interconnects.

It sounds super fast, like the opposite of chilled out. Its too late to go back now and I feel like I have to compliment this type of sound now. Although I have never heard the Dynaudios I know that when in a review they are said to be punchy and dynamic. It seems like a logical choice since punchy and dynamic is what I am after.

Hi Gaz19

Thanks for your reply.

For a moment i thought there was a manufacturer called Frankenstein :D Fortunately i read the rest of your post :)

Anyway i feel you are on the right track with the Dynaudio speakers such as the DM 2/6's or the DM 2/7's have (amongst their other qualities) punch and dynamics. Just as importantly these Dynaudio's will tonally offer a better match for your electronics so as to avoid the system tipping over the edge with an overly upfront presentation.

Btw, if within budget and if you can accomodate them then go for the DM 2/7's over the already superb DM 2/6's. As your room is fairly empty then the DM 2/7's with their greater scale, dynamics and depth should also help fill it out further. :bigsmile: Fwiw, i use DM 2/7's with the great Pioneer A-400 at home :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
tigerstripe said:

I find them detailed, but I wouldn't say bright. This is the main reason why people should audition what they can, as two people can completely disagree over the same speaker.

They are indeed very detailed and transparent. But to determine whether a pair of speakers are bright, neutral or warm, I always compare the presentation of certain instruments and vocals by the speakers with the original sound I hear in reality, and so it is not a matter of personal preference or subjectivity. I consider GS10s and especially GS20s are among the brightest speakers I have ever came across.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We'll all have our ways of determining whether a speaker is bright or not, and that'll be based on our tastes. Someone who is losing the top end of their hearing range may prefer a brighter speaker, other people might just prefer that type of sound. Even if everyone's hearing was exactly the same, we'd all still have personal preferences.

Do you find your receiver to be bright? Neither do I, but some people seem to, for whatever reason! :)

A

Anonymous

tigerstripe said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
tigerstripe said:

They are indeed very detailed and transparent. But to determine whether a pair of speakers are bright, neutral or warm, I always compare the presentation of certain instruments and vocals by the speakers with the original sound I hear in reality, and so it is not a matter of personal preference or subjectivity. I consider GS10s and especially GS20s are among the brightest speakers I have ever came across.

Thanks tigerstrip, I will avoid the GS10 since I like neutral or mild warm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts