Dynaudio DM 2/7, Kef R300 or B&W 685S2?

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
For the room of my girlfriend I'm looking at compact speakers. She likes older rock such as Iron Maiden and like me hate bright highes. She is also a vinyl fan. I think the B&W will be too bright. What about the others?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
loneranger said:
For the room of my girlfriend I'm looking at compact speakers. She likes older rock such as Iron Maiden and like me hate bright highes. She is also a vinyl fan. I think the B&W will be too bright. What about the others?

What amplifier are you using? The synergy between amplifier and speakers will have a big influence. While you want to avoid a bright sound, if you go too far the other way then the music could sound muted.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Seems interesting. And not expensive. Read alot good things about these Dynaudio's. Most with a NAD amp. But will this sound good with Iron Maiden? Does these Dynaudio highlights the shortcomings of the recording?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Loneranger,

Agree with above advice. The Dms are being replaced with the Emit M20 which should be even better. I owned the DM2/7s paired initially with an old Meridian pre/power - excellent vocals and bass but lacking some detail. Tried a creek 50A - dry bass and poor timbre on vocals but great detail. Marantz PM8005 best of both - great match. guess NAD would suit. BTW they need 100 hours to run in. Great quality as each driver is built in house and tested. Then every completed speaker tested again. Not going to get that in Shenzhen. They are not bright but will reveal poor recordings. As always, garbage in equalls garbage out.

rainsoothe

Hi. The Dynaudios with Nad or Marantz should be great together. Arcam A19 + Focal Aria 906 are also great. Mind you, NAD stuff needs separate phono stages. But I would take the Nad C316BEE over Yamaha anyday.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I am a Dynaudio fan, and their speakers offer a lot for the money. They love a bit of power, and if you like heavy rock etc then they could be a real blast. The DM range is their entry level, but is still extremely competent. I recommend that you audition them with a couple of amplifiers just to check out how they work for you.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
NJB said:
I am a Dynaudio fan, and their speakers offer a lot for the money.  They love a bit of power, and if you like heavy rock etc then they could be a real blast.  The DM range is their entry level, but is still extremely competent.  I recommend that you audition them with a couple of amplifiers just to check out how they work for you.  

Is a great speaker

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
My situation is similar I have a Marantz PM66 KI signature and MA RX1 speakers and listen to a lot of heavy music. Always fancied the DM 2/6 and looking to get a turntable for my record collection, they're available at Richer Sounds for £299. Always felt my speakers are a little bit too refined on occasions. I'm very tempted.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes; rock is most times not good recording. you must also have a system that makes "music" but don't revealing the shortcomings of the record.

I read the Kef R300 has a warm sound with laid back highes, maybe a little dull. But will this make the best speaker for rock? i saw Dynaudio dm 2/7 isn't more. now there is the Emit. Don't know how it sounds.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
R300 would be my preference but they aren't particularly compact and require quite a bit of room.

They are a 3 way speaker and in many ways sound more like a floorstanding speaker.

TRENDING THREADS