All-in-one systems. KEF LS50? Dynaudio Xeo 6?

foges

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Hello What HiFi!

This is my first post here, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section, this seemed most apropriate.

I'm looking to buy an all in one system (or at most a small/medium base unit and two speakers). The KEF LS50 wireless seems popular on this site, but I'm curiuos as to which alternatives you might recommend, or if the LS50 is really in a category of it's own in terms if performance/price?

I went to my local audio store and they had a KEF LS50 wireless demo unit, as well as a demo Dynaudio Xeo 6 that they were selling at a reduced price. My impression was that the KEF was incredibly clear, but maybe wasn't quite as "full bodied". The Xeo 6 felt a bit warmer, with a bit more body on the lower part of the frequency spectrum, but also a bit more muffled. Maybe adding a subwoofer (which one?) to the KEF might have helped, but I also don't want too much bass (eg. I'm not a fan of most Beats-style overpowering bass).

Some background:

- Price: ~£2000

- Music: Should be able to handle most types of music (Indie/Pop, Rock, Electronic, Classical)

- Source: Mostly 320 kb/s from Spotify streaming through chromecast audio

- Visuals: My girlfriend has set the requirement that it has to look good (eg. B&O Beolab 8000, preferably no black boxes with 5 cables)

Thanks a ton in advance!

-Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Simple answer.

Get a streamer preamp with built in Spotify Connect, for example Yamaha WXC 50, Oppo Sonica, Cambridge CXN among others. The WXC 50 is great as you can hide it away and use the control app.

Buy the best pair of active speakers you can find for about £1000, Acoustic Energy AE1a from the hi-fi world or a pair of Adam A7x or Dynaudio Lyd 7 or 8 from the pro world.

About £100-150 for some stands and cables.

You will get plenty of clarity from the pro speakers and you will not need a sub.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Red Dog Music currently have 'B Stock' Lyd 7 for £798pr, add a WXC50 and you have a smashing system for a little more than half your stated budget.

dynaudio-lyd-7-251123.jpg

foges

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions!

I wasn't aware of the WXC50, but it looks like a great way to add WiFi capabilities to a set of active speakers. Do you end up paying a significant premium to get the wireless capabilities of the KEF LS50? Most of the reviews I've read seem to say that it's hard to beat the LS50s in terms of performance/price, so do you think the Dynaudio Lyd 7s would sound similar or better?

I'd also love to compare a couple of active speakers before settling on a pair. Do you have any more recommendations?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
foges said:

I wasn't aware of the WXC50, but it looks like a great way to add WiFi capabilities to a set of active speakers. Do you end up paying a significant premium to get the wireless capabilities of the KEF LS50? Most of the reviews I've read seem to say that it's hard to beat the LS50s in terms of performance/price, so do you think the Dynaudio Lyd 7s would sound similar or better?

I'd also love to compare a couple of active speakers before settling on a pair. Do you have any more recommendations?

I have had the LS50W’s on home demo for a couple of weeks. If you have read my other posts about them then you will know that I am most definitely not a fan. My advice to you would be to try them on home demo yourself before you buy them. I have read the multitude of glowing reviews and then listen to the LS50W’s and I simply cannot ratify those reviews with the sound I hear. ATEOTD you are buying mono amps, speakers, a DAC and a wireless/Bluetooth streamer for £2000 so you cannot expect the moon on a stick. Sadly those reviews appear to suggest that a lunar lollipop is on offer here. It is not, trust me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I have had the LS50W’s on home demo for a couple of weeks. If you have read my other posts about them then you will know that I am most definitely not a fan. My advice to you would be to try them on home demo yourself before you buy them. I have read the multitude of glowing reviews and then listen to the LS50W’s and I simply cannot ratify those reviews with the sound I hear. ATEOTD you are buying mono amps, speakers, a DAC and a wireless/Bluetooth streamer for £2000 so you cannot expect the moon on a stick. Sadly those reviews appear to suggest that a lunar lollipop is on offer here. It is not, trust me.

Did you hear the LS50s, placed on decent stands, a decent distance appart and with a bit of space round them?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Gazzip said:

Did you hear the LS50s, placed on decent stands, a decent distance appart and with a bit of space round them?

Yes. They have been up to my listening room for a more comprehensive audition. To me they sound like what they are, which is small boxes, and they sonically fall apart at low volumes. The streamer/network is also not fit for purpose, something that Kef freely admit. The volume control (both the remote and the sensors on the speakers) are also not fully functional.

Each to their own I guess, hence my recommendation to Home demo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Yes. They have been up to my listening room for a more comprehensive audition. To me they sound like what they are, which is small boxes, and they sonically fall apart at low volumes. The streamer/network is also not fit for purpose, something that Kef freely admit. The volume control (both the remote and the sensors on the speakers) are also not fully functional.

Well I can't say fairer than than that......and I have heard that about the Streamer/Network.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It is a difficult conundrum, active speakers are just begining to make their presence felt in the hi-fi world and the most affordable mainstream models are beginning to get noticed.

It is interesting that these speakers, when presented and demonstrated in a comfortable hi-fi environment are, generally getting very favourable comments.

It is a shame though that in the one area where actives have been produced and developed for many years, the 'pro' studio monitor market, is largely ignored by hi-fi enthusiasts.

If you are brave enough to venture into this market, there are some fine loudspeakers to be had, often at very competitive prices. Some are known on this forum, Adam, Dynaudio, Jbl for example, but many are not, I am thinking Quested, Genelec, Equator, Klein and Hummel/Neuman, Focal, all have whom have excellent speakers for less, often much less than the price of the LS50w.

The Dynaudio Lyd 7 mentioned earlier is a good example, but there are plenty of others, the Equator D5 for example, a 5 inch dual concentric with dsp, just £450pr, or the Quested S7a at around £1600 can be ordered with optional grills.

There are plenty of models to choose from, talk to a pro dealer and see what you can find.

KEF_UK

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Curious as to who helped you out with a home demo? It would be useful to know.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion but, there is demand for a product of this nature and quality and the reviews suggest that we are onto a good thing with this model.

KEF_UK

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
To me they sound like what they are, which is small boxes, and they sonically fall apart at low volumes. The streamer/network is also not fit for purpose, something that Kef freely admit. The volume control (both the remote and the sensors on the speakers) are also not fully functional.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion but, there is demand for a product of this nature and quality and the reviews suggest that we are onto a good thing with this model.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
KEF_UK said:
Gazzip said:
To me they sound like what they are, which is small boxes, and they sonically fall apart at low volumes. The streamer/network is also not fit for purpose, something that Kef freely admit. The volume control (both the remote and the sensors on the speakers) are also not fully functional.

Sound quality is subjective and I have given my opinion. Others have given their views which differ. I have suggested that a home demo is a must which is fair advice.

However let me blunt. The LS50W’s inbuilt streamer is currently not fit for purpose. It is as simple as that. The remote control volume and the touch buttons that control volume are... temperamental shall we say. You need to plug these wireless speakers in to a PC to perform a firmware update. These are facts, not opinion, and quite frankly it rightfully pisses me off that the nature and quality of the reviews you reference have glossed over such fundamental failings. How can a streaming, network playing, amplified loudspeaker not stream properly and yet achieve such accolade? How can a wireless, networked speaker needs to be tethered to a PC via USB to perform an update? Absolutely bonkers.

Finally why would it be useful to know which dealer lent them to me for a home demo? Could they have solved these hardware/software issues? Are you implying that they didn’t set them up properly?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
KEF_UK said:
Gazzip said:

Sound quality is subjective and I have given my opinion. Others have given their views which differ. I have suggested that a home demo is a must which is fair advice.

However let me blunt. The LS50W’s inbuilt streamer is currently not fit for purpose. It is as simple as that. The remote control volume and the touch buttons that control volume are... temperamental shall we say. You need to plug these wireless speakers in to a PC to perform a firmware update. These are facts, not opinion, and quite frankly it rightfully pisses me off that the nature and quality of the reviews you reference have glossed over such fundamental failings. How can a streaming, network playing, amplified loudspeaker not stream properly and yet achieve such accolade? How can a wireless, networked speaker needs to be tethered to a PC via USB to perform an update? Absolutely bonkers.

Finally why would it be useful to know which dealer lent them to me for a home demo? Could they have solved these hardware/software issues? Are you implying that they didn’t set them up properly?

Gazzip, to save yourself from repeating yourself, could you tell me which thread you posted your impressions of this speaker please, I'm got a demo booked out of interest, but I am expecting them to sound a bit boxy, and not having enough depth. Thanks.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I started off really liking them, but it went downhill from there for me.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-ls50-wireless-first-impressions

When you audition them also try them at low volume and see whether you think they close in and the SQ drops off...

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I started off really liking them, but it went downhill from there for me.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-ls50-wireless-first-impressions

When you audition them also try them at low volume and see whether you think they close in and the SQ drops off...

Cool. Thanks for the help and advice. *good*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
...got a demo booked out of interest, but I am expecting them to sound a bit boxy, and not having enough depth. Thanks.

Just to add balance.....I have standard LS50s and they sound (imo) the opposite of that. I haven't heard the W version, but would expect them to be better again. I think that their weakness atm is in the whole steaming operation, so I suppose it depends how much of an issue that is for you and when it will be sorted. Maybe Kef UK can answer that.

FWIW. Coming from Roksan/Dynaudio, I think they will suit your taste well.....but that's what the demo is for.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
...got a demo booked out of interest, but I am expecting them to sound a bit boxy, and not having enough depth. Thanks.

Just to add balance.....I have standard LS50s and they sound (imo) the opposite of that. I haven't heard the W version, but would expect them to be better again. I think that their weakness atm is in the whole steaming operation, so I suppose it depends how much of an issue that is for you and when it will be sorted. Maybe Kef UK can answer that.

FWIW. Coming from Roksan/Dynaudio, I think they will suit your taste well.....but that's what the demo is for.

...as in “steaming pile of”? :) Sorry Cno but you cannot defend a £2K product which does not work properly going to market, however good you think it sounds. It is sold as a streaming and wireless speaker which is currently stretching the boundaries of truth.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:

...as in “steaming pile of”? :) Sorry Cno but you cannot defend a £2K product which does not work properly going to market, however good you think it sounds. It is sold as a streaming and wireless speaker which is currently stretching the boundaries of truth.
I wouldn’t be happy with a product that costs £2000 that doesn’t work properly I would feel cheated I had the same kind of situation with the Sony X800 4k player it just kept freezing the picture witch I felt was very bad that Sony brought and rushed a product onto the market that was full of bugs .

and what hifi have give it a 5 star rating ? So it went back and I brought a Oppo 203 it works and now I am happy it’s a quality product

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
foges said:

To be fair for many people they will make a very nice system. Depends on your benchmark. Given the quality and cost of your main system in your sig how could you not be disappointed?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:

It will never be an issue for me, as I will not give up my DS.

Knowing Kef, it will be sorted....it's just a matter of when. *scratch_one-s_head*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Gazzip said:
foges said:

To be fair for many people they will make a very nice system. Depends on your benchmark. Given the quality and cost of your main system in your sig how could you not be disappointed?

Perhaps I do unrealistically expect too much in terms of SQ, hence my suggestion to home demo, but if £2K is being parted with then it should at least work properly, no?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Gazzip said:

It will never be an issue for me, as I will not give up my DS.

Knowing Kef, it will be sorted....it's just a matter of when. *scratch_one-s_head*

Grrrrrr... but they shouldn’t be selling it now if it doesn’t work properly!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Grrrrrr... but they shouldn’t be selling it now if it doesn’t work properly!!!

I will (and have - I own an AVR600) put up with a lot, provided:

- It gives me a SQ that I have been unable to find elsewhere, for the price.

- It gets sorted.

Others feel differently.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
ChrisIRL said:
Gazzip said:
foges said:

Perhaps I do unrealistically expect too much in terms of SQ, hence my suggestion to home demo, but if £2K is being parted with then it should at least work properly, no?

I was referring only to your assessment of SQ, but yes they should work as advertised. Didn’t grate on me as much I suppose during ownership as I mainly used external sources. A cdp via optical sounded excellent. Most streaming products I’ve owned have fallen short in one way or another. WiFi in the real world is a mess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts