Dynamic Range Compression - Difference Between Vinyl & CD

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This video is worth a watch.

http://productionadvice.co.uk/daft-punk-cd-versus-vinyl/

It is mastering engineer Ian Shepherd (founder of Dynamic Range Day) comparing Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories on CD vs vinyl from a DR perspective. As an introduction the vinyl version measures much, much better in DR terms than the CD release. His conclusions as to why both versions sound so different from one another is extremely interesting.

Also interesting to learn that the measuring tool for dynamic range is designed for digital and that vinyl always measures a little better regardless of whether it actually is.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
and thanks for that Gazzip. I recently noticed a harshness or blurring in the 800-1kHz region on some material in my room so started playing around with that in parametric mode. The results were amazing. The only thing I can think of is some mixes are too forward in that zone and possibly creating a part-double wave or echo, but I'm more than happy now I know what's going on.

Are you tempted by the offer on that page?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=daft+punk&album=random

Which CD version was he using? If he had the Alternate CD master, dynamically that'd be pretty close or the same as a vinyl version.

The vinyl DR ratings vary by a a couple of points. This could be down to the pressing quality or the quality of the vinyl source or both.

We don't know if he was using the alternate CD master or the standard one. The standard one is very much a victim of the loudness wars. The alternate one is OK.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Which CD version was he using? If he had the Alternate CD master, dynamically that'd be pretty close or the same as a vinyl version.

The vinyl DR ratings vary by a a couple of points. This could be down to the pressing quality or the quality of the vinyl source or both.

We don't know if he was using the alternate CD master or the standard one. The standard one is very much a victim of the loudness wars. The alternate one is OK.

It is my understanding that the 2013 standard CD release of Random Access Memories was actually a stand against the loudness wars. Which is also what Wikipedia says about the album in relation to the loudness wars BTW...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Dont get me wrong, I think over compression of dynamics in the pursuit of loudness is the devil’s own work. I’m not defending it I’m just saying that the professionals say take the numbers with a pinch of salt.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
It is my understanding that the 2013 standard CD release of Random Access Memories was actually a stand against the loudness wars. Which is also what Wikipedia says about the album in relation to the loudness wars BTW...
What a joke when a DR of 8 is seen as stand against the loudness wars!

For sure it's better than stuff like Cheryl Cole's 3 Words (DR 6), but it's still a long way from Neil Young's Peace Trail (DR 14).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Surely with vinyl it depends which cartridge they are using. He mentions the phono-amp but I think cartridges make more of a difference. If you use some they may sound like that cd but then others maybe too bright. DR of 8 is not that good.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not really. Whether a cartridge is quiet or loud will only affect how much gain you have to add to get the same loudness level, it won't really impact the perceived dynamic range.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Not really. Whether a cartridge is quiet or loud will only affect how much gain you have to add to get the same loudness level, it won't really impact the perceived dynamic range.

But on those Daft Punk samples he adjusted the treble on the vinyl, that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about loudness levels.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah sorry. Yes of course, it's very possible that the tonal balance between different models of cart will vary. In fact not only is it possible, it's a definite certainty.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Ooooooo... I hadn’t seen that! I think I shall be making a purchase this evening...

[/quote]

I didn't think so! Wondering whether to splash on it myself, did you go for it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts