DVD - The question about OLD vs NEW!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
In hifi world (no, not as in magazine, mod!) some oldies gears still can be as good (or even better) than the latest, shinny equipments that released last week, take the like of Meridian, Krell and mid-late 90's MF stuffs, they still can show newer box a thing or two.

In Home Cinema world (again...no, not the magazine, mod
emotion-1.gif
) it's a totally different ball game, I remember when sharc chip set were only use in a big, top of the range monster av amp that cost thounsand of pounds, now the same chip set are quite common in all-in-one system that cost less than 1 metre of decent, audio grade, wires!

After all that, the question I would love to know is....

Would DVD player that cost arpund £300 in today money but has the all important, up to date HDMI ports (1080i) be much (or at all) better than the highend of yesterday? I am talking the like of Denon 2800 mk2 that use to cost £2K but no HDMI port.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
First upscaling player I bought was the pioneer 868 (Very first upscaling dvd player in the world if memory serves)

Its rubbish compared to my Pioneer LX50 so yes. Id say most of the dvd players around 300 quid plus would blow away most of the older dvd players

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think it's highly dependent on the equipment it's being used with. If you're plugging it into a cheap but large HDTV, chances are the scaler in the TV will be pretty poor compared to the one in the new DVD player, therefore the old high end player will probably look worse.

On the other hand, plug it into a top of the range large standard def CRT with both using component to output 576p and the old high end player may well produce a better picture than the new £300 one.

I have first hand experience since I had a Denon DVD-A1 player (£2,500 when bought new) which only had component out. Plugged into my Panny plasma, which from my testing seems to have a pretty poor internal scaler, and then compared with the PS3 hooked up via HDMI and the PS3 upscaling the picture - the PS3 certainly seemed to have the clearer picture.

As a result, I sold the Denon on.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The screen is Pioneer Kuro, so it will show up any imperfection.

interesting replys as i thought the oldie might win! damm looking like I have to spend again
emotion-7.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
damm looking like I have to spend again
emotion-7.gif

Record visitor numbers at Gracelands again this year I see? Don't you know there's a recession? Lol.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts