DVD recorder for FreeSat

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I've recently bought a Sony HXD995 DVD recorder. Will I be able to use it to record from FreeSat or am I restricted to FreeView when my area switches off anaIogue?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
and for those of you yet to buy.... I have a feeling Panasonic is going to launch a few Freesat recorders (DVD and even Blu-ray) in the coming months. They've made a Blu-ray recorder for France's digital HD TV market, so I can't imagine - with their Freesat tie-in - that a UK version would be that big a leap.

We'll know more next month, when Pana unveils its UK plans....

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Another question if I may, please. I'm in the Granada region which I read will be offering HD on Freeview late this year. If I buy one of the current 32" TVs with Freeview, say Sony or Pana, will it be able to receive HD Freeview when it is available? If not, are there likely to be 32" TVs with such a facility later, or would it be wiser to rely on a separate Freeview HD box when available? Further, will the current Freeview TVs also work with a separate HD Freeview Box?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Freeview HD will require a new tuner - either integrated into a new TV set (and we haven't seen any announced yet with that facility), or as a set-top box or within a DVD/Blu-ray recorder or PVR.

Existing Freeview sets will be fine with the addition of any of these extra boxes.

And by the way, I think that late-2009 estimate for Freeview HD is highly optimistic...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts