DVD player awards 2007

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="Conway"]This is quite a depressing thread! I am starting to regret gettting my Denon 1930 on clearance a few months ago. I got it not long before the PS3 price drop was annouced!

Now this makes me think, is the Denon 1940 still worthy of it's 5 star, Product of the Year rating? If a PS3 can be bought for the same price how can the Denon justify it's 5 stars? Surely going on the 'Performance per pound' system it isn't good value for money?

What is the price difference in the UK for the PS3 compared to the Denon-1940? In Australia they are both $699. That makes the Denon seem like abit of a rip off really.[/quote]

I got my 1940 from richer sounds for £199, they now sell it for £179, for this money the Denon is awesome IMO

Im really happy with my Denon 1940 as a DVD player because I dont need bluray, am not into gaming & dont need the very good scaling in the PS3 so it doesnt make much of a difference to me personaly.

The PS3 is fantastic value for money for what its able to do.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Conway"]Is the Denon 1940 still worthy of it's 5 star, Product of the Year rating? If a PS3 can be bought for the same price how can the Denon justify it's 5 stars? Surely going on the 'Performance per pound' system it isn't good value for money? [/quote]

OK, clarification - the Denon DVD-1940 did not win Product of the Year, it is a worthy winner of 'Best DVD player £100-£300'.

The PS3 won in the next price category up - £300-£500.

If you've only got @£200, the Denon is the best player in its class - as the Group Test in the current issue re-iterates. It also plays CDs far, far better than the PS3, too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Conway"]Now this makes me think, is the Denon 1940 still worthy of it's 5 star If a PS3 can be bought for the same price how can the Denon justify it's 5 stars.[/quote]

Is the Denon 1940 worthy of 5***** IMO hell yer! I am amazed at the picture Im getting on mine and if using the scaling on the display and not the players, from what Iv seen the pic is just as good as the PS3, if not very close. What makes the PS3 awesome value for money is its DVD scaling which is excellent, bluray and gaming. But IMO that doesnt take away the 5***** rating of the Denon.

A

Anonymous

Woops, sorry Clare. I got mixed up with the Denon 1930.

I guess it all comes down to price. We seem to pay more for high end products like Denon here. Although I don't know why, I think China would be closer to Australia then the UK!. I can see your point, in the UK there is a 50 pound price difference between the PS3 and the 1940.

In hindsight I wish I waited and got the PS3! Mind you the price drop had not been announced when I bought the Denon 1930. Oh well, I think I am going to ask Santa for a PS3 for Christmas! I might move the Denon 1930 into the bedroom to replace the crappy JVC in there....

Conway

A

Anonymous

Andrew or Clare, was the PS3 that won the dvd player award the 40 gig or the 60 gig version? Thx

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
The 60GB version. We've tested the 40GB version in our current (December issue) - it's a five-star buy, too.

[/quote]

Thx Clare, Im about to buy a PS3, I can just about still get hold of the 60 gig version while stocks last. Can you tell me, does the 40 gig PS3 play DVD and bluray as good or better than the 60 gig? That'l help me make my choice! :) Thx

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The 40GB PS3's Blu-ray and DVD functionality appears to be the same as the 60GB model.

There's a test of the 40GB version in our current, December issue - plus tests of Toshiba's new HD-EP35 HD DVD player (£350 - available for £270) and Sharp's BD-HP20 Blu-ray player (£399, again available for less).

We'll also be running a Group Test of HD/Blu-ray players in our January issue (out 13th December) , which will add the new £399 dedicated Sony Blu-ray player into the mix....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
The 40GB PS3's Blu-ray and DVD functionality appears to be the same as the 60GB model.

[/quote]

Thx Clare for the reply, when you say the "functionality" of the 40 gig seems to be the same as the 60, you mean by that that the picture quality of dvd/bd is the same on the two?

Thx!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts