DVD-A player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning all, Happy New Year!

I've recently come into a couple of DVD-Audio discs, but my current player won't play them. I'm looking to get a blu-ray spinner sometime towards the end of this year, but none of the ones I'm looking at atm appear to play DVD-A (Panasonic BD35/55, Sony S550).

Can anyone recommend a decent DVD-A player? Not really too fussed about picture quality, I'll let my BD player worry about that, all I need is something that is good sonically. Budget less than £200.

Any help much appreciated!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd look for a second-hand and/or drastically-reduced-in-the-sales DVD player from the likes of Arcam, Marantz or Pioneer - something that cost @£1000 in its day and was truly aimed at being a universal player rather than just a movie beast.

Or you could take a look at the Oppo players - could find something that does everything, even Blu-ray! (I'll leave Andrew to tell you more - he's had more Oppo-action than me).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Oppo DVD-980H is the one to go for, unless you want to wait for the forthcoming 'universal' Blu-ray machine, which is the one I'm holding out for.

But bear in mind that the prices on the Oppo online shop are in Euros, and the current exchange rates are doing Oppo no favours at all.

When we reviewed the DV-980H the price was the equivalent of £160 - now, as the Pound and Euro inch (or should that be 2.54cm?) ever closer to parity, it's just a smidge over £200 delivered.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick replies! The DV-980H looks very interesting and just the thing I'm after, but if the universal (BD) player gains decent reviews that may be the way forward. Any idea when the new player might be tested?

A

Anonymous

Hello Andrew,

No News yet for the long-awaited Universal BR player from OPPO?
I registered on their website to get info about the release date but still haven't seen anything coming up yet.

Please let us know when you'll receive the player for review. And BTW, I'd also love to know how it compares to the upcoming Denon Universal BR player costing £3,300...

A

Anonymous

Ok, thks for the info.
But please, keep us posted when you have more news :)

Thks very much

A

Anonymous

By the way Andrew,

As far as SA-CD is concerned, do you think that the Oppo would be a major(?)upgrade to my current Denon DV-2900, I mean purely in terms of sound quality?

Thanks for your insight.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Oppo DVD-980H is the one to go for, unless you want to wait for the forthcoming 'universal' Blu-ray machine, which is the one I'm holding out for.

This gets me wondering (as I'm wont to do), what kit do the WHFS&V team have at home - do you all live in a world of uber high-end kit, or do you use the stuff that us mere mortals have too? (Or is it too likely to causes a Yamaha-amp style stampede if you ever revealed what you spend you millions on?!).

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:Andrew Everard:

This gets me wondering (as I'm wont to do), what kit do the WHFS&V team have at home - do you all live in a world of uber high-end kit, or do you use the stuff that us mere mortals have too? (Or is it too likely to causes a Yamaha-amp style stampede if you ever revealed what you spend you millions on?!).

Hasn't this been discussed before like in the last few days.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Until we've heard it, who can tell...?

Andrew,

In fact, I meant in the light of your experience with the existing players such as the 980, 981 and 983.

Thks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts