Dummies Guide to Setting-Up NAS for Streaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WayneKerr

...that's why EAC was my preferred choice.
The 'E' part meant (for me) that it copied perfectly or (very rarely) not at all.

It seemed to take for ever, going over the same bit on some discs....didn't bother me - all part of my 7 months of fun 🤨
There was one it failed to rip, a brand new David Bowie compilation double CD, final two tracks just came up sync error, yet it plays ok on the CDP!

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Well, I've tweaked some settings but it still seems to take a while. Doesn't make much difference with an old CD vs a relatively new one that's hardly been played. Still around 30 mins per CD. EAC analyses the CD player for best performance. It's a decent ASUS DRW drive with good read speeds though EAC throttles this back to around 1.4x read speed during copying.
Can't seem to find what setting to change to make it faster. Not a problem at the moment as the rips are amazingly good and I was cooking at the time, but if I wanted to rip a batch of CD's then it could become tedious to the n'th degree.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-12 205101.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 205101.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 5

WayneKerr

Okay, was expecting four CDs today but only one arrived!

11 tracks on the CD, actual running time 39mins. Ripped with EAC:

Using Copy function average total rip speed was 6.4x, total rip time 6:30mins, some error correction.
Using Test&Copy function average total rip speed was 6.4x, total rip time 13:00mins, some error correction.

Both the above functions incorporate error checking but Test&Copy compares results between the two rips on the fly and only proceeds with Copy if they match, if they don't match EAC will slow down the read until it obtains a match, so if you've a dodgy track it'll probably slow down twice.

If you want to speed up the ripping process then just use Copy, if you're anal then Test&Copy is the only way forward.

As a note I also rip to WAV in EAC and convert to FLAC using my media player, Foobar. It took Foobar 20secs to convert this rip from WAV to FLAC... it took me longer to find nice album art... but then I'm picky about my album art :)

Last edited:

SteveR750

Back to the OP and you might have a different experience, but my WD my cloud is in the rubbish skip in my driveway. It's been the most unreliable device I've ever owned, and the UI hopeless. Been replaced with synology which took all of 2 minutes to set up, and mirror my music folders stored in One Drive. It's so much easier to set up backup and sync folders. Both Roon and Spotify (S1 and S2 apps) have connected first time with no problems. So, if your WD device starts to play up, it's probably not your lack of knowledge that's the problem!

Reactions: Nico69

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts