DSP and room correction

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
That is the issue.my pc is in another room and I prefer not to leave it constantly running to act as a server.hence the servers I use are running on my nas drive 24/7.but it won't be able to utilise the Dirac or any dsp technology I think.

My system sounds great and I don't feel as if I really have any issues but.....well you know our kind we always like to ask ourselves...what if?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Lot of hifi companies make a living on hobbyists like us :)

I remember seeing something on mini DSP website that had a RJ 45 jack. Iam sure a little ploughing on their website will show up many options. They seem to have all bases covered. And have atleast one implementation for every scenario. Iam sure youll find something there for your requirement

D

Deleted member 108165

Like Mark, I have been very interested in the whole DSP thing since it started being discussed on here about a year ago.

I'm happy with my system but the thought of improvement is nagging away at me *biggrin* To you guys who have invested in this tech what would be the best route to take? Software, as in Dirac Live, or hardware+software, as in miniDSP Dirac Live series. Prices are kinda steep at €389 just for the software or $804 for the miniDSP box. Looking at the DSP box and my system I guess I would need the DDRC-22D as I am more than happy with my current DAC.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
let's say I have roon on macbook; can I process/ equalize any audio coming out from macbook and airplay it to airport express?

insider9

lpv said:
let's say I have roon on macbook; can I process/ equalize any audio coming out from macbook and airplay it to airport express? 
No, only local audio files or the ones from Tidal or cloud.

That's the same on any other platform.

Edit
However with audio files or Tidal content you can send it using Roon to Airport Express (used as a Roon endpoint) with all the correction, etc. you want.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Best to stick with ddrc 22d all digital as the doctor prescribed

For sure the DDRC 22D is a great piece of kit, but be mindful that it is not a one size fits all solution. The DDRC 22D is where I started but I have now sold it because it lacks some flexibility.

First off the bat is the lack of a USB input/output, which makes streaming from a PC in to it problematic. I guess that MiniDSP figure that anybody who streams via USB is using a computer and wil be able to install Dirac Live on that. Not so if you are using a NAS or (as I was) an Innuos Zenith or similar.

Second is the need for a laptop or PC to take the measurements and design/apply the filters to the DDRC 22D. I may be unusual in this regard but I got rid of my laptop a long time ago in favour of an iPad. I therefore had to set up a desktop PC in the room when I took the measurements. Not something you have to do on a regular basis, but even so...

These two issues are why I use a small form factor PC. It runs dirac Live via USB out in to my DAC, and I can control it like a laptop with my iPAD using remote desktop. Best of both worlds for me...

Next is the issue of source. If you are using a turntable as well as a digital source then you are going to need an analogue to analogue to digital phono stage or other converter to get the signal through your DDRC 22D, in to your DAC and then back out to your amp. Sounds dumb I know, but if you listen to both analogue and digital sources and correct the room for only one of them are you really going to be happy? I have ditched my turntable recently so this is no longer an issue for me, but worth considering...

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
lpv said:
let's say I have roon on macbook; can I process/ equalize any audio coming out from macbook and airplay it to airport express?
No, only local audio files or the ones from Tidal or cloud.

That's the same on any other platform.

Edit However with audio files or Tidal content you can send it using Roon to Airport Express (used as a Roon endpoint) with all the correction, etc. you want.

cheers Insider... and damn it

abacus

It is always best to make the room as neutral (Sound wise) as you can, then add the DSP. (DSP is good, but the less it has to do to correct the room acoustics the better)

Most people do not have a dedicated listening room, so room treatment can be a problem, but there are domestically acceptable ways to gain improvement (Plenty of videos on YouTube showing the various options) before applying DSP.

To see what Dirac Live can do in a system, have a read of the reviews of the Arcam AVR850 on AVForums & HCC.

Bill

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:
It is always best to make the room as neutral (Sound wise) as you can, then add the DSP. (DSP is good, but the less it has to do to correct the room acoustics the better)

Most people do not have a dedicated listening room, so room treatment can be a problem, but there are domestically acceptable ways to gain improvement (Plenty of videos on YouTube showing the various options) before applying DSP.

To see what Dirac Live can do in a system, have a read of the reviews of the Arcam AVR850 on AVForums & HCC.

Bill

+1

Especially if you discover frequency nulls when you measure. If possible try to fix them before running any DSP.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
The System DogG describes sounds even more sophisticated and really interesting... pricey though.

Pricey... that’s all relative, of course. My whole DEQX set-up (DEQX, DACs, amps, speakers — all second hand or ex-demo) cost me about €6000 (excluding the sub, which is a piece of furniture too, so doesn’t really count
regular_smile.png
). That’s real money, but not outrageous, is it?

The main drawback is that it’s rather complex to operate. Not for me, but for wife and children...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Gazzip said:
The System DogG describes sounds even more sophisticated and really interesting... pricey though.

Pricey... that’s all relative, of course. My whole DEQX set-up (DEQX, DACs, amps, speakers — all second hand or ex-demo) cost me about €6000 (excluding the sub, which is a piece of furniture too, so doesn’t really count ). That’s real money, but not outrageous, is it?

The main drawback is that it’s rather complex to operate. Not for me, but for wife and children...

Yes, relative is the salient word. Relative to MiniDSP Dirac, DEQX is expensive.

It looks really interesting, and if I am reading their blurb correctly it sounds like DEQX completes a “quasi-anechoic” test of the speakers to work out their independent FR before trying to analyse the affect the room is having on the overall FR. Simple and clever. Filter out the “known” speaker FR and you are left with only the room effects.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
DocG said:
Gazzip said:

Pricey... that’s all relative, of course. My whole DEQX set-up (DEQX, DACs, amps, speakers — all second hand or ex-demo) cost me about €6000 (excluding the sub, which is a piece of furniture too, so doesn’t really count ). That’s real money, but not outrageous, is it?

Yes, relative is the salient word. Relative to MiniDSP Dirac, DEQX is expensive.

It looks really interesting, and if I am reading their blurb correctly it sounds like DEQX completes a “quasi-anechoic” test of the speakers to work out their independent FR before trying to analyse the affect the room is having on the overall FR. Simple and clever. Filter out the “known” speaker FR and you are left with only the room effects.

Well, to be frank, I only learned about MiniDSP after having bought the DEQX. Otherwise, the decision might not have been so easy...

As for the ‘anechoic’ measuring, I first set everything up in the garden, so as to avoid any reflection whatsoever. But then the background noise (cars, plane, birds, ...) was rather substantial, so I did it all over inside. Put the speaker in the middle of the room on a side table, lot of cushions in front of it, mic really close. Much better result with the lower noise floor, and the room effects were negligible.

For the sub, I measured in the room including reflections and room modes.

TRENDING THREADS