Downton Abbey Blu-rays

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I was thinking of buying this Blu-ray collection:

http://www.base.com/buy/product/downton-abbey-series-1-4-blu-ray/dgc-8296509.htm

Jules (the calibrator) said it was good for the pictures, and I saw a brief glimpse of it when he calibrator my TV, he used it as a demo disc. I have never seen it though, is it any good? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downton-Abbey-Series-1-4-Blu-ray/dp/B00AQVN0CI

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
gel said:

http://www.base.com/buy/product/downton-abbey-series-1-4-blu-ray/dgc-829...

Jules (the calibrator) said it was good for the pictures, and I saw a brief glimpse of it when he calibrator my TV, he used it as a demo disc. I have never seen it though, is it any good? Cheers.

I have only seen the first season of Downton Abby. I really enjoyed they way the introduced some key elements in history of this time period. I was inpressed with the picture too when I was working on the DVD and BD discs. I too used the intro to demo the difference between an TV settings out of the box and and one that I had set up using my THX disc at work.

IMO the BBC have the best TV PQ in the business. The sound on the series I think is very good too.

If you enjoy Period drama's you should love Downton Abby.

D

Deleted member 2457

Glacialpath said:
gel said:

I have only seen the first season of Downton Abby. I really enjoyed they way the introduced some key elements in history of this time period. I was inpressed with the picture too when I was working on the DVD and BD discs. I too used the intro to demo the difference between an TV settings out of the box and and one that I had set up using my THX disc at work.

IMO the BBC have the best TV PQ in the business. The sound on the series I think is very good too.

Ah cheers! I think I will pick them up.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
gel said:

Downton Abbey is ITV. However the independent production company produces for both ITV and BBC amongst many others.

I can't comment on the PQ of Downton Abbey (not my kind of thing i'm afraid) but other recent ITV series - like Broadchurch - that we have on BD are excellent quality.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
Glacialpath said:
gel said:

Downton Abbey is ITV. However the independent production company produces for both ITV and BBC amongst many others.

I can't comment on the PQ of Downton Abbey (not my kind of thing i'm afraid) but other recent ITV series - like Broadchurch - that we have on BD are excellent quality.
Cheers. *smile*

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ah I may have been going by the client we were doing the job for. Also when you work on so many titles from different clients in one week or working day they kind of blur into each other.

I've just checked and the BDs are a Universal release. However the fact the audio is only 2.0 Stereo back up that they originat from ITV as they don't have the means to cater for any 5.1.

D

Deleted member 2457

Glacialpath said:
Ah I may have been going by the client we were doing the job for. Also when you work on so many titles from different clients in one week or working day they kind of blur into each other.

I've just checked and the BDs are a Universal release. However the fact the audio is only 2.0 Stereo back up that they originat from ITV as they don't have the means to cater for any 5.1.
Cheers. That's not good with the audio, I think I might give it a miss then.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

Don't you buy based on things like the writing, acting, subject and storyline first? Why not watch a few of the first episodes to see if it engages you?

(I can't comment myself, but it seems a lot of people enjoy it despite how many channels of audio it has.)

I've got 'yards' of old black & white movies (DVD and Blu-ray) that are 4:3 and (probably) in mono but I wouldn't be without most of them.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:

Don't you buy based on things like the writing, acting, subject and storyline first? Why not watch a few of the first episodes to see if it engages you?

(I can't comment myself, but it seems a lot of people enjoy it despite how many channels of audio it has.)
I do mainly buy based on sound and picture, unless I really want it. I have always been like that. I am not sure I will enjoy this as much now. I was mainly buying for the picture though, so I will think on it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I do mainly buy based on sound and picture, unless I really want it. I have always been like that. I am not sure I will enjoy this as much now. I was mainly buying for the picture though, so I will think on it.

I am a bit gob-smacked. However I admire your frankness.

Are there any movies or TV programmes that you would still consider 'must haves' despite them having technical shortcomings? (Maybe due to the era in which they were made or for other reasons.)

Would you rather watch an 'average' film with impeccable picture quality and sound, or a brilliantly written and acted film with a great story that has average picture and sound?

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:

I am a bit gob-smacked. However I admire your frankness.

Are there any movies or TV programmes that you would still consider 'must haves' despite them having technical shortcomings? (Maybe due to the era in which they were made or for other reasons.)

Would you rather watch an 'average' film with impeccable picture quality and sound, or a brilliantly written and acted film with a great story that has average picture and sound?
Well Guns N Roses are my favourite band and they only had two Tokyo live DVDs for sale and I wouldn't buy them because the audio was so bad. So it is something I definitely do pay attention to. I own Mysterious Cities of Gold and that is not great, but I love it all the same. I suppose it's not too bad but on my amp it says the sound comes out of the left and right speakers but this is not strictly true.

D

Deleted member 2457

I also find that most Blu-rays and DVDs do have good recordings, so it's not really a problem.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey Gel. Though the audio on Downton Abby is only 2.0 DTS HD-MA it is very good. Also there is not really much need for surround channels on a sries like this. I'm sure you would be to engorssed in the story and admiring the picture too much to be bothered about the audio only being stereo. I know I was when watching it at work.

With regards the audio on Cities of Gold. (loved that as a kid) what do you mean your amp shows the audio to be in the left and right channels but it doesn't seem like it?

D

Deleted member 2457

Glacialpath said:
Hey Gel. Though the audio on Downton Abby is only 2.0 DTS HD-MA it is very good. Also there is not really much need for surround channels on a sries like this. I'm sure you would be to engorssed in the story and admiring the picture too much to be bothered about the audio only being stereo. I know I was when watching it at work.

With regards the audio on Cities of Gold. (loved that as a kid) what do you mean your amp shows the audio to be in the left and right channels but it doesn't seem like it?
Well the sound comes from all speakers even though on the amp it says just L and R

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
Glacialpath said:

Well the sound comes from all speakers even though on the amp it says just L and R

Hmmm That could be you amp automatically sending a stereo signal to all channals as that's what Pioneers do unless you set them to Direct on the remote. I'm guessing as you seem to be a Pioneer man you have a Pioneer AVR? That's what mine does unless I select Direct. You can set it in the set up menu too I think to stop the amp doing that.

Idealy you want everything direct so the amp uses the flag it is sent and not just trying to give the the best experience possible. Of course if you want to watch a stereo soundtrack in surround I think the amps do quite a good job.

TRENDING THREADS