Blu rays in the bin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Feral said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
The four (wow) 4K BDs I have bought so far can't be ripped as the encryption hasn't been broken yet AFAIK, and in any case, storing the amount of data on a 4K BD on a hard disk would be prohibitively expensive.

It's been broken for a while now, some smart cookie in Russia has cracked the new encryption.
That's good to know, but it still doesn't get over the storage size issue. A 4K BD contains 50 to 100 gigabytes of data. 100 gigabytes means 10 discs per terabyte hard disk, so your hard disk storage is going to cost order of magnitude $10 (non RAID'd) to $40 (RAID10) to store, more or less the price of a replacement 4K BD to begin with.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Samd said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I currently have my TV 3 meters away from where I sit and the TV is straight ahead of me I would of thought that 49” Tv is the right size for my needs and the spec of my Sony is pretty good as it sits in the middle of the Sony 4k TV range .

The 'experts' would say your TV is on the small side for 3m but there are so many other issues not just 'ideal'. How does it fit in with your room - over-powering eyesore etc etc. What looks and feels right for you is what is right for you.
when I first got the Tv I did get a bit of eye strain but that was because the Tv was on demo mode which is bright and the fact that the Tv is a lot brighter then my old 12 year old sharp Tv was and my old Tv was a 42” Tv so I thought going from 42” to 49” I was pushing it with the size of the screen but the experts are saying my Tv is under sized ? what size is correct for my viewing distance then ? 65”

i brought the Tv ex display from Pc world for £450 and it’s a 2016 Sony Tv I am very happy with it and I can’t afford a Olad TV as I was going to buy one when they are around £1000 mark as I think they are over priced at the moment .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
When I got my 60 inch 1080p DLP TV back in 2005 I was watching it from about 6 feet away. I really enjoyed watching Wimbledon as I got the same swiveling neck sensation as people actually sat at Centre Court and old cowboy movies were a blast as I could really sense the stagecoach being chased by "pesky injuns" storming across the desert :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
When I got my 60 inch 1080p DLP TV back in 2005 I was watching it from about 6 feet away. I really enjoyed watching Wimbledon as I got the same swiveling neck sensation as people actually sat at Centre Court and old cowboy movies were a blast as I could really sense the stagecoach being chased by "pesky injuns" storming across the desert :)
no I am feeling old !

i remember when I first got a 26” Sony Tv years ago and people used to say wow that’s a big Tv

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Found this and it says I have the right size screen .....
Screen Size Ideal Viewing Distance 17 - 26 Inches 4 - 6 ft (1.2 - 1.8m) 27 - 38 Inches 7 - 9 ft (2.1 - 2.7m) 39 - 46 Inches 10 - 11 (3 - 3.4m) 47 - 55 Inches 12 - 13ft (3.7 - 4m) 60 - 80 Inches 14 - 17ft (4.2 - 5.2m) 80 Inches Or More At least 17ft (5.2m)

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I wasn’t that impressed with Kong island on 4k I brought that too the picture is ok but not as good as the transformers last night on standard blu-ray 

I actually haven’t got a 4k film yet that really shows of 4k film but i do not think your going to get a 4k film that shows of 4k unless the film has been filmed in 4k as the conversion films differ in quality it depends on how good the film company does the convention and what equipment they use to do the conversion .

personally I wouldn’t touch any film that’s an old film and then they convert the film to 4k and then turn round and say it’s 4k I find that out with Independence Day on 4k I might as well kept my blu-ray version but saying all that I did pre - order terminator 2 but that was a couple of months ago and should be out next week on the 4th of December but I think I will end up being disappointed with it when I do get my hands on that film .

I still think 49inch TV won't make much difference between 1080p or 4k

Swap over to 65 inch and higher then it will
My sony does a good picture for a 49inch screen i just have not got a 4k film yet that shows off 4k 
Most of the picture quality is about the hdr but it does help having a bigger screen

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I wasn’t that impressed with Kong island on 4k I brought that too the picture is ok but not as good as the transformers last night on standard blu-ray

I actually haven’t got a 4k film yet that really shows of 4k film but i do not think your going to get a 4k film that shows of 4k unless the film has been filmed in 4k as the conversion films differ in quality it depends on how good the film company does the convention and what equipment they use to do the conversion .

personally I wouldn’t touch any film that’s an old film and then they convert the film to 4k and then turn round and say it’s 4k I find that out with Independence Day on 4k I might as well kept my blu-ray version but saying all that I did pre - order terminator 2 but that was a couple of months ago and should be out next week on the 4th of December but I think I will end up being disappointed with it when I do get my hands on that film .

I still think 49inch TV won't make much difference between 1080p or 4k

Swap over to 65 inch and higher then it will
My sony does a good picture for a 49inch screen i just have not got a 4k film yet that shows off 4k
Most of the picture quality is about the hdr but it does help having a bigger screen
if you go by the chart I am between a 49” to 55” screen size from sitting directly in front from where I sit but at the time I brought the Sony Tv I thought it was a big step up screen size wise as I had my old 42” sharp and at the time I thought 55” or 65 would be too big as it’s hard to know this standing in Pc world .

D

Deleted member 108165

Don't bother with 4K UHD as 8K SUHD is just around the corner *biggrin* Not sayin' that all this isn't great, because it is, but it's just another way of parting all of us from our hard earned cash. At the moment I'm quite happy with HD and plasma, when the telly goes phut then I'll think about what to go for next... hopefully 8K will be here by then *smile*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that 4K is the limit of discernability for the human eye on "normal" sized TV's at "normal" viewing distances. I suspect there's a limit on how many shades of colour we can discern too.

8K probably has applications in the cinemas and I could see a logic in 6K (not necessarily 8K) for 2.35:1 "cinemascope" TV's - if they ever come to market - as these would be 30 to 35% wider than regular 16:9 TVs. But 8K? Probably not.

F

FunkyMonkey

I must admit a good blu ray upscaled by my 4k projector looks on a par with a so-so 4k disk on my projector.
in fact, I watched kingsman on 4k and I can't say the difference between that and the blu ray on my old 1080p projector blew me away

Blacksabbath25 said:
Screen Size Ideal Viewing Distance 17 - 26 Inches 4 - 6 ft (1.2 - 1.8m) 27 - 38 Inches 7 - 9 ft (2.1 - 2.7m) 39 - 46 Inches 10 - 11 (3 - 3.4m) 47 - 55 Inches 12 - 13ft (3.7 - 4m) 60 - 80 Inches 14 - 17ft (4.2 - 5.2m) 80 Inches Or More At least 17ft (5.2m)
I'm pretty certain this is for a 1080p screen, not 4K.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Screen Size Ideal Viewing Distance

17 - 26 Inches 4 - 6 ft (1.2 - 1.8m)

27 - 38 Inches 7 - 9 ft (2.1 - 2.7m)

39 - 46 Inches 10 - 11 (3 - 3.4m)

47 - 55 Inches 12 - 13ft (3.7 - 4m)

60 - 80 Inches 14 - 17ft (4.2 - 5.2m)

80 Inches Or More At least 17ft (5.2m)
I'm pretty certain this is for a 1080p screen, not 4K.
what’s the right size screen then big boss for 3m viewing distance with the TV straight ahead ? Because I thought 49” was just right

Samd

It's only too small if you compare it with the data for 'cost vs benefit' which is a set of rules NEVER used by users of this forum!! Just try moving to the 'ideal' distance for a 49'er and you will see how rubbish it is for day to day viewing.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Samd said:
It's only too small if you compare it with the data for 'cost vs benefit' which is a set of rules NEVER used by users of this forum!! Just try moving to the 'ideal' distance for a 49'er and you will see how rubbish it is for day to day viewing.
well I am not getting rid of the Tv now I’ve only had it 4 months and pretty happy with it just shocked that 65” Tv is meant to be the correct size for my viewing distance which is a big Tv .

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
in another thread and I think you have misunderstood its application. What it points out is the screen size by distance where you will actually notice a difference and it would be worth spending on. My viewing distance is 10' so the UHD screen size I need to see a worthy improvement over my 42' 1080 plasma is an 80'. The max space we have will just fit a 55" so UHD isn't worth me buying into, and definitely not 8K. A good upscaling BDP would on the face of it be my best option but I need to look into what a recently acquired Xbox will do but I need a 4K TV to prove it lol!

Samd said:
It's only too small if you compare it with the data for 'cost vs benefit' which is a set of rules NEVER used by users of this forum!!  Just try moving to the 'ideal' distance for a 49'er and you will see how rubbish it is for day to day viewing.
If majority of your viewing is still 1080p and you're at 4K distance, then yes.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Samd said:
I understand about 1080p but never knew the law on TV size had changed in regards of 4k picture quality as there obviously not many people who understand that including myself as I was not told or asked what size room I had at Pc world so most people would go by the old way when buying a TV a specially the older generation .

Samd

bigboss said:
Samd said:

Not sure because when I said 'rubbish' I meant that the ideal is too close for me in that my eyes are having to flick about the screen i.e. can't get the whole picture.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^ All Ballcocks or rollocks or something like that.

I can still remember when my dad bought a whopping great (ahem) TWENTY SIX INCH Saba 625 lines CRT TV which we all watched from 15 to 20 feet away.

4K is worth it for 45+ inch TV's at any distance, not least because they are HDR almost by default these days, but if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it.

The whole idea of 4K is to provide you with that "immersive" experience which includes filling your field of vision with as much picture as possible. If you're getting eye strain sitting that close, by all means, go for a smaller size. I only responded to blacksabbath's assertion that his size is ideal for the distance according to website advice (which was for 1080p and not 4K).

DougK said:
Don't bother with 4K UHD as 8K SUHD is just around the corner *biggrin* Not sayin' that all this isn't great, because it is, but it's just another way of parting all of us from our hard earned cash. At the moment I'm quite happy with HD and plasma, when the telly goes phut then I'll think about what to go for next... hopefully 8K will be here by then *smile*
If people are still watching SD TV channels, they will become unwatchable on an 8K screen because of the amount of upscaling required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts