Blu rays in the bin

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That's it I'm completely sold on 4k and I'm now saying goodbye to my blu ray collection. king Kong in 4k was a magical experience compared to the blu ray. Good buy blu ray :-(

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
That's it I'm completely sold on 4k and I'm now saying goodbye to my blu ray collection. king Kong in 4k was a magical experience compared to the blu ray. Good buy blu ray :-(
what !

Why I brought transformers the last night on blu- ray even though I have a 4k player the picture is still top quality on the blu-ray version

l have been buying quite a lot of blu- rays at late to replace all of my DVDs that I had and I brought 10 blu-ray films from Amazon for around £75 and the oldest film I brought out of that lot was Jaws which was made in the 70s and the picture looks pretty good for a old film .

i would keep your blu- rays until the prices start to drop a little more on 4k films I will only buy a 4k film if I really like the film a lot so I kind of buy both formats still .

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
seemorebtts said:
what ! 

Why I brought transformers the last night on blu- ray even though I have a 4k player the picture is still top quality on the blu-ray version 

l have been buying quite a lot of blu- rays at late to replace all of my DVDs that I had and I brought 10 blu-ray films from Amazon for around £75 and the oldest film I brought out of that lot was Jaws which was made in the 70s and the picture looks pretty good for a old film  .

i would keep your blu- rays until the prices start to drop a little more on 4k films I will only buy a 4k film if I really like the film a lot so I kind of buy both formats still .
I'm keeping my jaws but it's going to look amazing on 4k. On my new TV 4k look's amazing and puts my blu ray to shame. There's no point in watching blu ray if you have 4k. I tried watching a blu ray yesterday and it felt blurry and the obvious hdr was not there at all.im just starting to replace my collection now. I did buy the new valerian on 4k and it wasn't a great picture but everything else has been fantastic

D

Deleted member 2457

I have sold most of my Blu-rays too. I have just kept the music Blu-rays.

D

Deleted member 2457

Kong Skull Island is pretty special on 4K too.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I wasn’t that impressed with Kong island on 4k I brought that too the picture is ok but not as good as the transformers last night on standard blu-ray

I actually haven’t got a 4k film yet that really shows of 4k film but i do not think your going to get a 4k film that shows of 4k unless the film has been filmed in 4k as the conversion films differ in quality it depends on how good the film company does the convention and what equipment they use to do the conversion .

personally I wouldn’t touch any film that’s an old film and then they convert the film to 4k and then turn round and say it’s 4k I find that out with Independence Day on 4k I might as well kept my blu-ray version but saying all that I did pre - order terminator 2 but that was a couple of months ago and should be out next week on the 4th of December but I think I will end up being disappointed with it when I do get my hands on that film .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
How much of your enjoyment is based on content and how much on format/technology?
how do you mean chebby ?

how much extra content you get with a 4k film ?

By ‘your’ I meant everyone.

How much enjoyment is down to the detail and resolution and the colours etc. that a new, improved format brings and how much is down to the fact that it’s simply a good movie?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
How much of your enjoyment is based on content and how much on format/technology?
how do you mean chebby ?

By ‘your’ I meant everyone.

How much enjoyment is down to the detail and resolution and the colours etc. that a new, improved format brings and how much is down to the fact that it’s simply a good movie?
both picture quality and the film is important to me as well as directors extras but one thing I do not like is grain in the picture but years ago when DVD first came out I was impressed with the quality and didn’t worry about grain in the picture but with 4k films I was hoping not to ever see picture grain but you sometimes do .

so I feel that picture quality is very important when it comes to 4k films its meant to be the ultimate in picture quality but feel some titles are not up to 4k standard to be called 4k and I reckon that the quality should be governed to a set standard to pass as 4k film as they are expensive to buy .

also my feelings are that I think in my opinion that 4k films will end up like sacds where you can only buy them at silly prices and will not be available in the main stream of high street shops and supermarkets only places like amazon and eBay at jumped up prices so you can’t discount blu- rays just yet as I would rather spend £15 for the latest film then £25 .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
All my Blu-Rays and DVDs (remember them?) have now been ripped to hard disk and confined to plastic storage boxes in the attic.

The four (wow) 4K BDs I have bought so far can't be ripped as the encryption hasn't been broken yet AFAIK, and in any case, storing the amount of data on a 4K BD on a hard disk would be prohibitively expensive.

For the foreseeable future, however, I expect we will keep buying regular Blu-Rays, as most of the 4K releases seem to be of the all CGI "Spiderman vs The Energizer Bunny" genre I don't particularly care for.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
What will kill of 4k blu-rays will be the prices as I feel they are very expensive for what they are and not really giving main stream people a chance to climb aboard the technology as £25 for one film Is very expensive as most hard working people with families will not entertain it because of the high price so it’s not really covering the hole of the market just a bit of it .

The price of a 4k TVs have dropped so let’s hope the format gets cheaper so it’s given a chance to get popular by mass market appeal

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
They said the same about CDs vs LPs, DVDs vs VHS, BDs vs DVDs....

Truth is that the prices on introduction soon fall (4K BDs start at around US$20 here now and they're practically giving away the turkeys like The Great Wall). And when you factor in inflation on how the last "latest and greatest" would have / should have risen over three or four years, the prices soon even out.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
how do you mean chebby ?

By ‘your’ I meant everyone. 

I can honestly say I love a good picture but after a while you just get into the movie more than ever before. It was like watching it for the first time

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I wasn’t that impressed with Kong island on 4k I brought that too the picture is ok but not as good as the transformers last night on standard blu-ray 

I actually haven’t got a 4k film yet that really shows of 4k film but i do not think your going to get a 4k film that shows of 4k unless the film has been filmed in 4k as the conversion films differ in quality it depends on how good the film company does the convention and what equipment they use to do the conversion .

personally I wouldn’t touch any film that’s an old film and then they convert the film to 4k and then turn round and say it’s 4k I find that out with Independence Day on 4k I might as well kept my blu-ray version but saying all that I did pre - order terminator 2 but that was a couple of months ago and should be out next week on the 4th of December but I think I will end up being disappointed with it when I do get my hands on that film .

I still think 49inch TV won't make much difference between 1080p or 4k

Swap over to 65 inch and higher then it will

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

My sony does a good picture for a 49inch screen i just have not got a 4k film yet that shows off 4k

Samd

Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

A 49" at x feet is exactly the same viewing size as a 65" at x+? feet.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I currently have my TV 3 meters away from where I sit and the TV is straight ahead of me I would of thought that 49” Tv is the right size for my needs and the spec of my Sony is pretty good as it sits in the middle of the Sony 4k TV range .

Samd

Blacksabbath25 said:
I currently have my TV 3 meters away from where I sit and the TV is straight ahead of me I would of thought that 49” Tv is the right size for my needs and the spec of my Sony is pretty good as it sits in the middle of the Sony 4k TV range .

The 'experts' would say your TV is on the small side for 3m but there are so many other issues not just 'ideal'. How does it fit in with your room - over-powering eyesore etc etc. What looks and feels right for you is what is right for you.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
The four (wow) 4K BDs I have bought so far can't be ripped as the encryption hasn't been broken yet AFAIK, and in any case, storing the amount of data on a 4K BD on a hard disk would be prohibitively expensive.

It's been broken for a while now, some smart cookie in Russia has cracked the new encryption.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts