Downgrading my system Unitiqute, Leema, Avi... Difficult room layout

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi lads,

I was looking for some streamer with analog input for my turntable but I couldn't find any . At the moment I am running http://hifipig.com/leema-acoustics-elements-integrated-amplifier/Squeezebox touch into my Leema elements amp / dac and Rega RS5s . It sounds detailed and fast but bass line is travelling everywhere around the house but in my listening position ..... can not really follow . This is down to my room layout and open staircase , bare floorboards perhaps. I will post a photos once I'll find out how :) .

So I am looking for some solution , change speakers and streamer with analog input .I am already selling my Leema amp on well known auction site . So far I came up with these set ups .

Naim Unitiqute 2 - Avi dm5s I would use UQ just like streamer preamp dac and radio ( great little box ) into Avi active speakers. I've never heard them but they have excellent reviews .

Unitiqute - Guru Junior Speakers not fussy about positioning with cracking reviews .

Unitiqute (naim nap 100) - Rega RS5 Iam suspecting that Regas side drivers are creating that boom bass but I would give it a shot with Naim it should be a good mach .

I don't listen loud music just moderate and low levels in this one I am worried about Avi dm5 how they would cope with low listening levels . If you lads have any idea or opinion ..... I'd appreciate your help .

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Out of interest - have you tried swapping the RS5's around so that the side bass drivers are facing in? Maybe also bring the speakers towards your seating position slightly (away from the walls) so that the inward facing drivers are not facing the sides of your chimney breast?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about swapping speakers too , I'll try it tomorrow and let you know . First thing I noticed while house viewing was that shape of the living room and I tought ' this is gonna get boomy in here but you can't really say it to your girlfriend as reason why you don't want house she likes . Now I wish I had one spare room just for my toys :)

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
This is over my budget but looks like solid machine , I've heard Linn at Bristol show 2 years ago paired with Dali or Focal I dont remember now and it sounded veeery niceee .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
domenn said:
This is over my budget but looks like solid machine , I've heard Linn at Bristol show 2 years ago paired with Dali or Focal I dont remember now and it sounded veeery niceee . 
It's also got HDMI and a Pre Out for a Sub. It sounds very well with Kef R Series/LS50s

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Have a look at photo of my room I am not quite sure about rear ported speakers :-( I' ll do some reading about that Linn machine .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
domenn said:
Have a look at photo of my room I am not quite sure about rear ported speakers :-(   I' ll do some reading about that Linn machine .
Check out Linn's "Space Optimisation", which is all part of the package:

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/SPACE_optimisation_and_SPACE_optimisation_%2B

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The perfect solution. Latest ADM10 at £1500 or if that is a little steep the later ADM9s can be had used for around £700-800.

A decent streamer, a Pioneer or Denon say, that has the required functionality and Toslink digital out to connect to the ADMs. With ADM9s not much over £1k all up.

If you still want to do vinyl, the player of your choice plus a decent phono stage into the ADM analogue inputs and you are good to go.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
domenn said:
I don't listen loud music just moderate and low levels in this one I am worried about Avi dm5 how they would cope with low listening levels . If you lads have any idea or opinion ..... I'd appreciate your help .

I own a pair of DM5's and they sound fantastic at low levels. You needn't worry about their sound quality when played low. I have no doubt that "downgrading" to the DM5's will be the biggest upgrade that you ever make. ;)

One thing to bare in mind with the DM5's though is that they have an automatic power on/off system built into them which switches them off when there's no signal or a very very low signal. This auto power on/off works fine but IMO the sensitivity could do with being a little bit higher.

On one occasion (and it has literally only ever happened once) I was listening to some very dynamically compressed music at 3am in the morning at a whisper quiet level at a distance of just 1.5 meters. The volume was turned super low so that I could barely even hear it above the quiet hum of my PC fan and after half an hour the speakers went silent because the input signal was so low that the speakers built in processor thought that there was no signal at all and put them into 'sleep' mode. I had to quickly blip the volume up a fraction to 'wake' them up again. Not a biggie but worth mentioning.

This isn't ment to put you off because under any normal quiet listening curcumstances they're fine and never go into sleep mode when playing music quietly. But if you regularly listen to dynamically compressed music at volume levels so ridiculously low that you can barely even hear the sound over the noise of a quite PC fan then you may occasionally have them go into sleep mode.

The DM5's are brilliant speakers and I highly recommend them. But I can't help thinking that your money would be better spent on a Cambridge Audio CXN streamer and a pair of AVI DM10 speakers instead. This setup would cost about the same as a Naim UnitiQute and some DM5's but the CXN and DM10's will have better sound quality.

Just my 2 pence worth. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts