Dolby True HD (5,1) via analogue phonos vs Dolby Digital 5.1 via optical connection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a Panasonic DMP BD50 connected to a Panasonic PT-AE500E (great picture). My AV amp is a Sony STR- DB925, I appreciate this is quite a old amp but to me it gives great sound and I don't want to replace it, hence I opted for the more expensive BD50 over the BD30 so I could get the True HD sound (albeit downscaled to 5,1), via the 5.1 analogue phono outputs. The question I want to put to the experts is to me the sound seems to be better in normal dolby digital via the optical connection - punchier more base although admittedly slightly less clarity than the 5,1 connection).

The phono connection from my player to the amp is via fairly bog standard phono to phono cables (£4.99 per pair but thrown in free by the dealer). The question is should I just stick to the optical connection for now and upgrade my amp in time or would better phono cables give me NOTICABLY better sound. I don't want to spend more than £50 on new interconnects otherwise I might as well buy a new amp.

Also I am unable to make any adjustments to the sound on my amp through 5,1 unputs (except volume), is this normal

Thank you for any advice - I am not a technophile and first time on site so go easy on me!

A

Anonymous

You should try Atlas Equator cables, which are £48 a pair. They have won an award from WHF, and since they're AV cables, you could probably get a full refund if you still prefer the sound of your optical cable.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There should be little if any difference between the two, so if the optical connection gives the punchier sound I'd go for that.

And yes it's entirely normal just to have volume control when using the analogue input - the amp is simply passing the sound through the volume control to the power amp section. That's why you need to make sure you've done all the speaker size and distance adjustments on the player's menus if you're going to use the analogue outs.

TRENDING THREADS